PDA

View Full Version : Blades' playoff hopes still alive

nivek_wahs
03-12-2007, 03:31 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=9dc860f1-9ad7-438d-93da-8970d5d70587

Blades' playoff hopes still alive

Doug McConachie, The StarPhoenix
Published: Monday, March 12, 2007
HITMEN 5, BLADES 1

The Saskatoon Blades limped home late Sunday, battered and bruised after a pair of losses in Alberta during the weekend.

However, the Blades are still in the running for a playoff spot -- although their life is hanging by a thread.

After falling 5-1 to the Calgary Hitmen Sunday and 4-2 to the Red Deer Rebels Saturday, the Blades are still last in the WHL East Division. Saskatoon remains within hailing distance of both the Prince Albert Raiders and Moose Jaw Warriors -- who are also battling for the fourth and last playoff berth in the six-team division.

"Barely" alive is the way it shapes up for Blades' said coach-GM Lorne Molleken, who thought his club competed very hard in Saturday's loss, but not very hard Sunday. Still, where there's a breath, there's hope, although "there's a lot of if's, but's and maybes" that have to come into play, Molleken said.

Saskatoon caught another break when Swift Current downed Prince Albert 2-1 Sunday to give the Broncos a sweep of all eight games against the Raiders this season. As a result, P.A. stills sits in fourth place, one point up on Moose Jaw and four up on the Blades. All three teams have three games remaining.

But in terms of scripting the final week of the schedule, the Blades couldn't have done it better.

They face Moose Jaw Wednesday at Credit Union Centre, then travel to Prince Albert Friday and wrap up their regular season Saturday at home against the Raiders. To stay alive, the Blades must beat Moose Jaw, a team they're 5-2 against, including three wins on home ice.

If the Blades get that victory, then it's a showdown with the Raiders who have won seven of eight against the Saskatoon this season. But the Raiders have been in free-fall since February, losing 13 of their last 16 games. Saskatoon's 3-2 victory Friday over the Lethbridge Hurricanes proved critical, as it kept them on playoff life support.

Against both the Hitmen and the Rebels, the Blades fell behind 2-0 in the opening period and couldn't dig themselves out of that hole.

Derek LeBlanc scored 13 minutes into the first and Ryan White four minutes later on the power play to give the Hitmen their first-period lead. With the victory, Calgary clinched third spot in the Central Division and a playoff series with the Kootenay Ice. The Hitmen's Brodie Dupont got the pack past Blades' netminder Garrett Zemlak in the second while Calgary's Steve Covington shorthanded a goal four minutes into the third to put Calgary up 4-0.

The Blades, who were outshot 32-13, finally got on the board when Colton Gillies jammed one past Hitmen netminder Dan Spence seven minutes into the third, but that was as close as they got as Devon Kalinski beat Zemlak at 12:12 to wrap up scoring.

Calgary won three of four against Saskatoon during the season.

REBELS 4, BLADES 2 (SAT.)

Kirill Starkov scored just 67 seconds into Saturday's game while Brett Sutter's 25th goal of the year, two minutes later, staked Red Deer to the early lead.

Defenceman Brett Ward blew down the right wing 16 minutes into the period with the teams playing four-on-four and his backhander, over rookie Red Deer goalie Morgan Clark, got Saskatoon on the scoreboard.

Early in the second period, Dustin Cameron tipped a blue-line blast from Sam Klassen past Clark to put Saskatoon into a tie, but Karey Pieper's third goal of the year, banging home a rebound midway through the third period, ended Saskatoon's hopes of getting at least one point. Sutter then wrapped the game up with Red Deer on a two-man power play with just a minute remaining. Red Deer, which won all four games against Saskatoon this year, clinched the last Central playoff spot -- and a playoff series against the Medicine Hat Tigers -- with a win over Lethbridge 6-4 Sunday.

BLADE BITS: Saskatoon left 18-year-old Chris Cloud at home for disciplinary reasons and he's not expected to rejoin the team this year. Rookie defenceman Mike Clements, who went home before Christmas with a shoulder injury, played on the weekend but is now back home. Sunday's game drew a Calgary Hitmen franchise record crowd of 19,017, the second largest gathering in league history.

dmcconachie@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

nivek_wahs
03-12-2007, 03:35 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=f0b218e3-de9b-4073-9ef0-82897eaafeb5

They said it

The StarPhoenix
Published: Monday, March 12, 2007

FRIEND OR FOE?

Calgary Hitmen goaltender Dan Spence on Saskatoon Blades goalie Garrett Zemlak after the two tussled at centre ice late in Sunday's WHL game in Calgary: "I know him, he's a nice kid," said Spence of the 17-year-old Zemlak, who attended the Hitmen training camp this season. "I got that first shot in and felt kind of bad actually and that's when he got me. He's a nice kid, though."

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Tidball
03-12-2007, 10:08 AM
We're not going to make the playoffs. If anything we may creep up to 5th. We might as well stay in 6th and get a better draft pic.

hobster
03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
all we have to do is beat mj on wedneday and have mj split on there weekend games and us beat pa on the home and home iv seen crazier things happen never know it all starts on wedneday though punk rock

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
03-12-2007, 02:06 PM
At least now we'll get a high draft pick and ero draft pick.

03-12-2007, 02:07 PM
you don't have to be a brain surgent to figure out they aren't making ther playoffs. They suck

Shortys
03-12-2007, 02:38 PM
you don't have to be a brain surgent to figure out they aren't making ther playoffs. They suck

Whats your deal? I am not saying that they will make the playoffs either, but to just say they suck because of it is ignorant! :evil:

Blades 4 Life!
03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
They still have a chance but their chances are slim. Really they have to win their 3 remaining games and P.A and MJ have to lose their rest. Steve why don't you just stop posting on the Blades forums cause you have been saying that you are a fan but since the start of the year you have been bashing the Blades. Or just keep your negative coments to yourself.

howley
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
unfortunately 99.9% of hockey players play with pride and play to win.

03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Theres must be alot of hockey players because that.1 % are NHL players that don't give a damn, and we all know the Blades have stunk it up this year, and about that thing where we have to win all our games and they have to lose all theirs?? ya that's real realistic, I'l be laughing at you all when their next game whenever that is they get blown out of the water. When you see the 4736834 goal margin between the Blades and the other team I'l be laughing at their suckyness. I'm still hypped up for next year when they should get a high draft pic, and Ero pick....since they suck this year, I've given up, I'm rooting for them to lose their games so we can built for the future.

Your unfriendly neiborhood jack***** Blades fan.

hobster
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
you are a big downer man. :evil: Just relax the diff between us making the playoffs and not wont make for a much more supperior player in the euro draft or bantam draft. nhl3 Lets just take this game by game starting wednesday, the big reason why we have stunk it up this is mostly do to injuries .It's not that the warriors and raiders are much more supperior over the blades at all.

SectionNDeserter
03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm still hypped up for next year when they should get a high draft picBetter make that 2 years, the guy they pick this summer won't be eligible to play for another year, and may not be an impact on the team for another 2 years.

03-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I was trying to focus more on the Ero pick, should be a good one.

maple leaf
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Theres must be alot of hockey players because that.1 % are NHL players that don't give a damn, and we all know the Blades have stunk it up this year, and about that thing where we have to win all our games and they have to lose all theirs?? ya that's real realistic, I'l be laughing at you all when their next game whenever that is they get blown out of the water. When you see the 4736834 goal margin between the Blades and the other team I'l be laughing at their suckyness. I'm still hypped up for next year when they should get a high draft pic, and Ero pick....since they suck this year, I've given up, I'm rooting for them to lose their games so we can built for the future.

Your unfriendly neiborhood jack***** Blades fan.

In sport you always play to win. The Blades will still be getting a high draft pick regardless and I am still shaking my head because I can't believe I am replying to your silly post.

BladeRunner
03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
ya what the **** is your problem, what the hell kind of fan are you anyway there go blades go#3 :burningma a good fan will cheer on there team to the very end, Blades making the playoffs can happen! steve your to much of a cocky guy, i suggest to stop with the negitive stuff!

man am i mad at you!