PDA

View Full Version : Blades look to make playoff history

nivek_wahs
03-13-2007, 03:06 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=f9cf9c40-88fb-444b-93e4-78e66aaad407

Blades look to make playoff history

Doug McConachie, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Saskatoon Blades are flirting with Western Hockey League history.

If they can win their final three games of the season -- and admittedly, it's a big 'if' -- they could be part of a three-team tie for the fourth and final playoff berth in the East Division.

"It's possible," WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen said Monday as the Blades, Moose Jaw Warriors and Prince Albert Raiders all battle for the playoffs, each with three games remaining. Even if two teams tied for last spot, it would still be a first for the WHL.

To get there, the Blades must defeat Moose Jaw Wednesday and then win back-to-back games in regulation time against the Raiders Friday and Saturday to finish with 28 wins and 60 points. Even if Prince Albert wins its other game against Regina Wednesday, to end up with 60 points also, they'd finish with 27 wins.

As for Moose Jaw, not only would they have to lose against the Blades, they'd then have to split their final two games against Swift Current to end up with 28 wins. But they'd also have to end up collecting one point in one of their two losses -- obtainable by playing to a tie in regulation -- to get to 60 points.

And if that scenario unfolds, the Blades would be all smiles.

If three teams tie, the team with the lowest number of wins (Prince Albert) is out, Doerksen said. The other two teams (Saskatoon and Moose Jaw) would then have a one-game playoff to determine last spot and the Blades, by virtue of having won six of eight against the Warriors, would host that game.

Even if Saskatoon wins all three of its remaining games, that might not be enough.

Moose Jaw could win both Swift Current games and finish one point higher (61) and finish in the playoffs. The Warriors have won five out of six against the Broncos this season.

And if Saskatoon loses even one of their games, then it's strictly a showdown between the Raiders and Warriors for that last spot. The Raiders have the advantage in that they are one point up on Moose Jaw today.

The closest the WHL came to having three teams tied for last place was during the 1977- 78 season. The Victoria Cougars and New Westminster Bruins tied for second with 77 points, while the Seattle Breakers had 76. That year, three teams in each division made the playoffs.

dmcconachie@sp.canwest.com

GAMES REMAINING:

SASKATOON (3) -- Wednesday vs. Moose Jaw; Friday in Prince Albert; Saturday vs. Prince Albert.

PRINCE ALBERT (3) -- Wednesday vss Regina; Friday vs. Saskatoon; Saturday in Saskatoon.

MOOSE JAW (3) -- Wednesday in Saskatoon; Friday in Swift Current; Saturday vs. Swift Current.

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

BladeRunner
03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
hah thats pretty cool actually, but i personally dont care how it ends up as long as the Blades make the playoffs.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-14-2007, 11:19 PM
hah thats pretty cool actually, but i personally dont care how it ends up as long as the Blades make the playoffs.
I agree now the Blades are one step closer,but can not stand back and think they have it all in the bag,and they still have to win two more games. The question is can it be done?? My answer to that is Hell Yes,Damn straight they can,and it would help if Justin McCrae would be healthy enough to play this weekend. Let's help the Blades make playoff history, GO BLADES GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: punk rock :) pbj dancing pi :bounce: :groovy:

Blades 4 Life!
03-15-2007, 12:01 AM
If we play like we did against Moose Jaw then we are diffently making the playoffs but they have to play a full 60 minutes both games. And it can be DONE!

hobster
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I agree the blades have a great shot to make the playoffs nhl3 ..... I just hope they don't where green jersey's in such inportant game on saturday..... Just because it's St.Patricks Day those things will be so ugly... :frog:

Shortys
03-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Its gonna happen, we will make the playoffs if they play like they want it, and we have all seen how well they can play when they turn it on! The Raiders wont even see us coming! Plus the Klotz vs Gauthier has to happen as well, to put some of these threads to rest! :D

Shortys
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree the blades have a great shot to make the playoffs nhl3 ..... I just hope they don't where green jersey's in such inportant game on saturday..... Just because it's St.Patricks Day those things will be so ugly... :frog:

They only wore those last year as a special jersey. They usually do the special jersey thing once a year. this year it was the camo jerseys, so you wont have to worry about them doing a green thing this year again.

Blades 4 Life!
03-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Its gonna happen, we will make the playoffs if they play like they want it, and we have all seen how well they can play when they turn it on! The Raiders wont even see us coming! Plus the Klotz vs Gauthier has to happen as well, to put some of these threads to rest! :D

Yes the Klotz and Gauthier fights needs to happen. I hope it is in Saskatoon thou cause i don't want to miss it. If this fight doesn't happen those threads are going to keep lasting and they need to be put to rest.

I agree those jersey's were so ugly and i hope they never wear those again.