PDA

View Full Version : Konecny returns to Saskatoon's lineup

nivek_wahs
03-13-2007, 03:08 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=f1fe5c64-a5ab-46af-b66e-2e90f9b4b998

Konecny returns to Saskatoon's lineup

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rastislav Konecny's teammates call him Rusty.

He hopes his play doesn't mirror his nickname when he returns to the Saskatoon Blades' lineup.

"I'm pretty excited because we still have a very big chance to make playoffs this year," said Konency, who expects to play Wednesday versus the Moose Jaw Warriors at Credit Union Centre.

"Now it's just up to us." The Blades welcome any help as they make their final lunge at a playoff spot. After Wednesday's game, Saskatoon wraps up the regular season with a home-and-home series versus the Prince Albert Raiders. The Blades trail the Raiders -- and a playoff spot -- by four points. Moose Jaw sits a point behind Prince Albert.

"We still have a chance," said Blades coach- GM Lorne Molleken. "We play the two teams that we're chasing, so it lies within our hands and we're probably going to need one favour from each side along the way." Before Konecny got hurt, he ranked third among Saskatoon scorers with 22 points in 33 games. Only four current teammates have leapfrogged Konecny, even though he missed 30 games.

"He hasn't slipped very much in our team scoring," said Molleken, who plans to reunite Konecny with centre Colton Gillies. "Konency and Gillies have played pretty well together and we're hoping that they have instant success." Konecny was originally scheduled to return to action Feb. 20. However, his comeback was delayed when doctors determined his jaw was still fragile. Konecny will sport a full face shield for the remainder of the season.

The Blades have not won back-to-back games since early January, but they remain in the race thanks to Prince Albert's freefall. The Raiders have won just four of their last 20 starts.

"We haven't helped our own cause in the last 15 games, so you have to be happy with our situation and the fact that we're still able to make playoffs," said Blades overage captain Brad Cole. "Everyone is positive about having three games to get into a spot." Cole urged his younger mates not to be nervous, but to seize the opportunity.

"You can use whatever word you want," he said. "Whether it's heart, character or courage, it's got to be there for these three games or else we won't win. Not one guy can take a night off." BLADE BITS: Saskatoon C Justin McCrae has missed five straight starts and he remains day-to-day with a groin pull.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

howley
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Hopefully it takes him about 2 shifts to get back into game shape.

hobster
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
2 shifts i wish lol i wounder if mccrae will be back on wednesday as well if so that would give us 2 lines to through at other teams hulak mccrae menei ,konecny gillies mcaullay

Blades 4 Life!
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Its good to hear that Konecny is coming back. I'm just wondering if molleken is going to keep Konecny for next year???

hobster
03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
i don't see why he wouldn't he was just as productive as any other blade before he got hurt

BladeRunner
03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Konecny is very good player and im sure he will be back with the Blades next year.

BantamDraft
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
My feelings are that Konecny has a 50-50 chance of returning next year. Word is that Lorne will be attending the NHL Draft this year to determine who is interested in playing with the Blades. That is very good news but could cost the Blades a few more bucks to land a top notch euro which is what his goal is.

Blades 4 Life!
03-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I believe that Molleken will either get rid of Konecny or Visak. Most likely he will get rid of Visak cause he size. PLus the Blades can get a good pick.

Tidball
03-15-2007, 12:37 PM
My feelings are that Konecny has a 50-50 chance of returning next year. Word is that Lorne will be attending the NHL Draft this year to determine who is interested in playing with the Blades. That is very good news but could cost the Blades a few more bucks to land a top notch euro which is what his goal is.

How did you know that? I was told something similair. Konecny will be the 2nd ranked euro on our team.