PDA

View Full Version : Phaneuf Named Chl’s Best Player For Second Straight Year

Tipped Off
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
From whl.ca

Red Deer defenceman tops Prospects Hockey’s Top 35 poll; Sidney Crosby No. 2....For the second year in a row, Dion Phaneuf has been named the No. 1 player in the Canadian Hockey League by a panel put together by Prospects Hockey magazine.

“Our panel was once again clear in picking Dion Phaneuf as the best player from across the CHL,” said Prospects Hockey managing editor Peter Robinson. “As he winds up his junior hockey career in the next couple months, Phaneuf should be remembered as one of the most dominating CHL players in recent memory.”

The Red Deer Rebels defenceman was the 2003-04 WHL defenceman of the year, and he’s played a leading role on Canada’s past two World Junior teams. Phaneuf earned tournament all-star status while helping Canada to a silver medal in 2004, and he won gold with Team Canada this year in Grand Forks, N.D. Phaneuf was named the 2005 tournament’s top defenceman. The 19-year-old Edmonton native was a first-round draft pick (ninth overall) of the Calgary Flames at the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Rimouski Oceanic forward Sidney Crosby also repeated in the No. 2 spot. The 17-year-old from Cole Harbour, N.S., is the runaway QMJHL and CHL scoring leader and the 2003-04 CHL player of the year. Like Phaneuf, Crosby played on Canada’s past two World Junior squads. More recently, Crosby has led the Oceanic on a 20-game undefeated streak, which has included 17 straight wins.

Soo Greyhounds captain Jeff Carter was ranked No. 3 by the panel, up two spots over last year. Kitchener Rangers captain Michael Richards fell one spot to No. 4 and Kootenay Ice goaltender Jeff Glass, who was unranked last year, rounded out the Top 5.

A panel of 15 junior hockey media from across Canada picked the top 5 players from across the CHL’s 56 teams, and the next 10 from each of the CHL’s three member leagues.

The magazine is available in CHL arenas and on newsstands across Canada in early March. Prospects Hockey is the official magazine of the CHL, produced by CCMC, a Toronto-based media company. CCMC also publishes SCOREGolf and are the official publishers of the National Hockey League and Canadian Football League.

Tinner
03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
congrats to Dion, now lets hope the team will build off this.

mccabe23
03-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Well deserved! Good job by Dion! Maybe this will make him smile if not for a second! ;) Kid's got the same look as Scott Stevens. You sure his last name is Phaneuf? LOL

Furback
03-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Wow all i can say is wow i have never seen a player get more overatted in my life.

Rebel66
03-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Wow all i can say is wow i have never seen a player get more overatted in my life.

Well you see Brent Sutter not only has the refs in his back pocket but the entire hockey community and hockey press too. How does he do it? ;)

Congrats Dion. Yet another award, you overrated bum! (sheesh, that's just not right even in jest.......)

Orv
03-02-2005, 02:06 PM

The name Sidney Crosby isn't familiar?

Rebels_chick
03-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Congrats Dion, another well deserved award! :clap:

Furback
03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
crosby is over hyped not overatted he has owned junior hocker and he is only 17.

Sput
03-03-2005, 03:13 PM
crosby is over hyped not overatted he has owned junior hocker and he is only 17.

To be truthful I haven't seen Dion play alot, but he has been through PG a few times over the years, and he is one impressive d-man. To say he is overrated is highly wrong. Yes there could be players that play better sometimes, also the media hyping a player, but I have seen Dion shine at the World Juniors, and out-play everyone else on the ice when he has been here.

As far as Crosby goes, I still reserve judgement untill he plays out west, where they hit hard and isolate players. The Q hasn't (at least to my knowlege) ever been acused of being a defensive league, and is noted for dangling skaters and play makers. IMHO Syd still has to prove himself at a higher level yet before he should get all the praise.

Spungy
03-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Congratulations!! :clap:

Furback
03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
ok crosby is a target every night he has a huge bullseye on his chest people gun for him everyday he is shaddowed and gooned up Dion is great if he keeps it simple but when he starts reading his press clipping and looking for the highlight reel he struggles. He got chl player of the year only 16 year old ever to do that but hey ya he is overatted. world juniors highest level not a high level sput but highest leval against mostly 19 year olds crosby was great getting 6 goals in 6 games. I know he is overhyped but the kid is for real at 17 he is owning the chl.

Orv
03-03-2005, 10:53 PM
ok crosby is a target every night he has a huge bullseye on his chest people gun for him everyday he is shaddowed and gooned up Dion is great if he keeps it simple but when he starts reading his press clipping and looking for the highlight reel he struggles. He got chl player of the year only 16 year old ever to do that but hey ya he is overatted. world juniors highest level not a high level sput but highest leval against mostly 19 year olds crosby was great getting 6 goals in 6 games. I know he is overhyped but the kid is for real at 17 he is owning the chl.

I agree with Sput about Crosby. He is a helluva player but so is Alexander Ovechkin and he looked pretty average against Phaneuf and the rest of the Canada D. I think that after I see Crosby against a hard hitting defense like we see more often here out west, I may be able to see if he is worthy of the comparisons to Gretzky, Mario, and the rest of them. To tell you the truth it smells a little to much like Alexandre Daigle for me to call him the Next One.

Furback
03-04-2005, 12:38 AM
wow its like you want this kid to fail well he wont like i said he has shined on the biggest stage and when rimouski make it to the memerial cup you will see

Orv
03-04-2005, 09:30 AM
wow its like you want this kid to fail well he wont like i said he has shined on the biggest stage and when rimouski make it to the memerial cup you will see

I don't want him to fail, if he is the next coming of Wayne Gretzky I'll be as happy as anyone but I'll wait until he plays a game of pro before I get all giddy and start drooling over him as a hockey savior.

I would like to see Rimouski make the Memorial Cup so I could see him against the best teams in the CHL. It would be interesting to see him matched up against London. One thing you have to remember, you keep saying he has owned the CHL, he has owned the QMJHL but not the WHL or the OHL. He will have that whole team on his back going through playoffs so if (and that's a big if) teams can shut him down they will have a good chance to win.

Nielson11
03-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Crosby is very over hyped. Eric Lindros was a better junior hockey player, was a better prospects entering the NHL. Had an Hart trophy before he was 23.

I'm waiting until I see Crosby in the pro's several players have TORN up the Q and are still trying to make it...Simon Gamache is an example.

And at the World Juniors....all of his goals were tap ins at the side of the goal. I didn't see him score on one shot from even in the slot....and in the big games, it was Carter, Getzlaf etc. who stepped up...not the GREAT crosby. OVER HYPED!!!

Furback
03-04-2005, 05:18 PM
nielson he is 17 are you kidding im done talking to you idiots to say rimoski is a one man team shows you know nothing about the team. I guess being named chl player of the year at 16 which lindros never did makes lindros a better junior player? Crosby is amazing bothways and he hits to compare him to daigle shows your total lake of hockey knowledge. The kid is amazing and oh yes he is leading everybody by over 30 points did i mention he is 17 oh ya 17 chl leading scorer two years in a row pretty sure no 16 17 year old has ever done that. and to compare him to gamache lol he wasnt 19 tell he tore up the Q and he is one dimentional as well you guys are clueless watch hockey all hockey not just the wub.

Rebels_chick
03-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Crosby still has a lot to prove, Furback. And I don't think you should be calling everyone idiots, when they're just expressing their opinions like you.

Furback
03-04-2005, 07:07 PM
they are biast whl fans "well he cant be good cause he doesnt play in the wub" every junior player has lots to prove but if the first two years of juniors are ant indacation crosby is the real deal what has he done to make you think he will be a bust? you guys all say it but not one of you have backed the points you make up you just sound like biast whl fans.

ScottyWazz
03-04-2005, 08:51 PM
If the first two years in junior were any indication, then Alexandre Daigle would have several trophies and maybe a Cup ring or two. You could say the same about Scott Scisson. He could be a mediorce NHLer right now if you look at his first two years in junior. Pat Falloon would still be in the NHL if you went off his junior numbers.

The problem with Crosby is that he was given too much of an ego before he even reached juniors. Not to say he doesn't deserve it, he has the points to back it up. However, you have a kid that young, basically given the keys to the franchise and the league; you tend to build up his ego a little too much. He's a big fish in a little pond right now. When he makes the jump to the NHL, it's going to be a learning experience and he'll be the little fish again. No more pampering from coaches and upper management; it'll be the real world.

However, you track onto the WHL boards and talk about how people are WHL bias. Of course it's going to be WHL bias-- it's a WHL based board system and this is a WHL section of the boards. You think they're going to be OHL or QMJHL apologist?? Of course not.

Furback
03-04-2005, 09:49 PM
daigle was not the junior player crosby is not even close. the comparason is horrible he was one dementional with a chip on his shoulder and a bad temper he got rattled easy. crosby has not shown any signes of that yet he is targated every game. he has stupid whl fans questioning his heart? he has the media prasing him as the next superstar all this pressure he has handle amazingly. only time will tell but daniel cleary played with him in a camp when he was 16 and said he could make the nhl at 16 but i guess you dub fans know what it takes to make it to the nhl over a nhler?

ScottyWazz
03-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Daniel Cleary. A jobber who has 112 points in 329 games in the NHL is saying Crosby could make the NHL at 16?? Of course he would say it. I'm sure he'd say the same about Phil Kessel if he played against him.

The media created the monster, of course they're going to fuel the fire-- they'd be stupid not to.

You were the one who said that if the first two years was any indication-- he was the real deal. Well-- I gave you two other guys along with Daigle to help debunk that claim. You can have the greatest junior career ever, but it doesn't mean squat if you cannot produce in the big show.

The chip and temper that Daigle has is when he amassed 247 points in his first two years playing the Q; then couldn't get it done in the NHL. I'm sure he had some other stuff, but he couldn't hack it in the NHL when he was one of the biggest scorers in the Q. Hell, he even went back and played 18 games and put up 34 points in Victoriaville in the '94 Lockout.

It's all well and great people are saying Crosby is the greatest thing since the invention of the vulcanized rubber puck, but until he can back all that hype up in the big show, he could be considered as just hype.

It's still ashame he couldn't face more of the OHL and WHL because it would really show what kind of "all around" player he is.

Nielson11
03-04-2005, 11:21 PM
they are biast whl fans "well he cant be good cause he doesnt play in the wub" every junior player has lots to prove but if the first two years of juniors are ant indacation crosby is the real deal what has he done to make you think he will be a bust? you guys all say it but not one of you have backed the points you make up you just sound like biast whl fans.

Sidney Crosby would NOT , and I will repeat this WOULD NOT...have as many points as has if he was playing in the WHL....I'm not afraid to admit this is my opinion.

Phaneuf, Seabrook, Coburn, Weber, Barker, Mezjaros, Green...the list goes on and on...you can't even compare the QMJHL's blueline....oh and how about keepers as well. The WHL is a superior league to the QMJHL, you can ask any scout/coach/GM and I'm sure he will tell you the same thing.

Furback
03-05-2005, 01:22 AM
daigle was not the leading scorer in the qmjhl like i said you cant compare the two. Crosby leads the chl in scoring as a 16 year old that does not happen youngest player to ever score a goal for canada daigle was almost 18 when he made the juniors and only got 1 goal. I dont know were you guys pull the comparson there is none. crosby is the real deal not cause he has all these points but becuase i have watched hockey for 25 years and i know tallent and he is not just a one trick poney. time will tell but i have never seen a player that fans want to tear down so bad and he is still only 17. Again not one person has given me a reason why he is a bust its not his fault he played in the Q oh ya ps he has torn up every league he is ever been in including 6 goals at the best under 20 tournament playing against 19 year olds hell carter was 20 when the tourny ended.

ScottyWazz
03-05-2005, 01:45 AM
And how many Memorial Cup's does Rimouski have under his regime?? Zero-- he can't even get out of his own league. This year could be different, but I doubt it.

He tore up high schoolers and then a league with little to no defence-- I'm sure people are scared to death.

He wasn't even in the top 5 scoring in the WJC. He was behind Bergeron, Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Carter, Olesz, and Malkin. He hardly "tore up" the tournament.

It's true, he's a man amongst boys in the Q and he's holding his own. Until he faces real tough competition and something resembling a defencive team-- then come back to it. Nielson's got it right, you have to realize that he would not have the same amount of point in the Dub, or even the Ontario League for that matter, had he been eligible to play in those leagues.

Furback
03-05-2005, 02:33 AM
lets just say 9 point in 6 games is tearing it up as a 17 year old in the world juniors. this is his only his second year in juniors you expect him to lead his team to a memerial cup at 16? name one player who has. you can say well if he played here or there he would not be as good but you cant assume he wouldnt like i said what has he ever done to make you think he cant play at any league im still waiting for a awnser. all i have got is oh he plays in the Q well i think our nhls hart trophey winner played in the Q oh wait so did the conn smyth winner ya yuo guys are right you have proven me wrong lol. this is what im hearing from you guys. well he doesnt play in the wub oh ya well he doesnt play in the wub oh ya well he doesnt play in the wub. There has been lots of #1 from the Q that turn out just fine like mario or vinny but hey they cant be good cause they didnt play in the wub.

ScottyWazz
03-05-2005, 03:00 AM
Nice to be one dimensional there, Fur.

You want an example of why most people think he wouldn't do good in the Dub: Gilbert Brule. They're about the same size (one inch smaller and couple pounds lighter to Crosby), they play pretty much the same game, and both highly touted as 1 and 2 in the next Draft.

Brule is up to 77 points in the Dub, in the second year of his career, and was one of the reasons the Giants have been as good as they have been. But he's not getting the points like Crosby because of the defence that the WHL has.

When you have defenceman like Dion Phaneuf, Andrej Meszoros, Shea Weber, and the rest of the guys Nielson said; not to mention goalies like Jeff Glass, Mike Wall, Kevin Nastiuk, and Bryan Bridges-- there's little doubt in my mind that Crosby would have a tough go about it.

Bi-polar Vinny turned out well after someone lit a fire underneath him.

But hey-- whatever, if you want to think that the CHL Best Player for the second straight season, one of the most menacing defenceman to come out of the CHL, not to mention, one of the most all around sound hockey players out there is overrated-- keep thinking that.

Furback
03-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Brule cant do what crosby can do out there and if you want to think that soon to be 2 time chl player of the year 2 time canadian world junior medal winner all before his 18th birthday is overatted go ahead think what you want. But hey you still have not givin me a reason why he is overatted i wont hold my breath kay scotty. I just dont know what more crosby can do if he takes rimouski to the memerial cup will be good cause then it will give the western hockey fans a chance to see him on a huge stage I just dont get why you put him down scotty it obvivous you have not watched him much. oh and his team is on a 23 unbeaten streak he has 145 points now pretty good, but i know he doesnt play in the wub. oh ya and he is almost doubling brule in points im sure there would be a drop of if he played in the wub but not 70 points.

ScottyWazz
03-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Brule can't do the same as Crosby because of the better defencive scheme the WHL has in comparison to the QMJHL. I've seen Crosby plenty and he hasn't stood out to me at all. Sure he's got some good moves and he can score. He's got talent, I'll give him that. But he's a man amongst boys there, it's not a good comparison of his overall skill. He's a great junior player, but until he does something big in a higher level, he's got a lot of hype to back up.

I've never doubted the kid has skill in the juniors, but until I see him with the most skilled professional players in the world; I think he's just too hyped to follow through.

Furback
03-05-2005, 08:48 PM
brule does not have the tallent of crosby i like Brule alot playes hard every shift and i dont think his 6th north american ranking does him justice, however crosby is head and shoulders ahead of Brule. I agree that crosby has not proved himself at the nhl leval he is only 17 but to compare him to daigle and other players who are busts just seems a little wierd to me. Myself i have never seen a kid take his league by storm like him not even gretzky could win the scoring title at 16 crosby did. I can list his acclomplishments all day but it wont sink in to you maybe cause you dont Know hockey? or maybe you are just so stubborn that you wont admit your wrong. I'm not sure why your so hard on this 17 year old but he has shown me nothing that will indicate that he will be a bust only time will tell i guess but he can dominate games in any junior league just like he did at world juniors as a 17 year old not to many 17 year olds have had the impact he did at that tourny.

ScottyWazz
03-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I know hockey and I know hype. Crosby is hype. He's meeting up to hype in the Q, but that's not saying much.

He plays against pylons in the Q. There's not a true big name defenceman in the Q as there is in other leagues. Bourdon and Vagner are probably the only quality defencemen in the Q and that's not saying much. There really hasn't been a quality defenceman to come out of the Q in the past ten years, with the exception of Denis Gauthier, and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

It's all well and good that he's doing it in JUNIORS, but there have been a lot of "sure things" to come out of juniors only to fall on their face when they can't back up their hype and numbers. It could happen to anyone out there-- Phaneuf, Schremp, Ovechkin-- so I'm not convinced anyone can make it into the NHL until they actually put their skill where their hype is.

Sammy
03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Phanuef's can do it all & do it all well. Skate, shoot, stickhandle, stick it to you in front of the net. He was the all-planet D at the WJC. If he were in the QMJHL shoot & score system, he could have 40+ goals. If there was NHL this year, he would be getting a regular shift. In five or six years, he will be a pro all-star. No media hype. No false pretense. No optical illusion. He's the real deal #1. Crosby will have to wait, for now.

Furback
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
hey sammy he has done well but he is also 19 look at him at 17 he has grown alot as a player and i still think he has miles to go before people lable him with the scott stevens brand. thats my point he has played amazing but people are saying he is the next scott stevens that is a very bold statment stevens was and is one of the most feared nhl d men of all time I accually think webber is better in his own end than dion with farless hype he punnishes people with out putting himself out of position sure dion makes the highlight real but he needs to pick his spots better that will come with time. The whole point is crosby at 17 years old has shown no sign of being a bust. there is no way he will put up gretzky numbers but he could put up Joe sakic like numbers and if he turns out like Joe thats not a bust.

Chipper
03-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Congratulations Dion you are the premere defenceman in the dub. If the NHL was playing now i'm sure you would be wearing a flames jersy .

Orv
03-07-2005, 06:17 PM
hey sammy he has done well but he is also 19 look at him at 17 he has grown alot as a player and i still think he has miles to go before people lable him with the scott stevens brand. thats my point he has played amazing but people are saying he is the next scott stevens that is a very bold statment stevens was and is one of the most feared nhl d men of all time I accually think webber is better in his own end than dion with farless hype he punnishes people with out putting himself out of position sure dion makes the highlight real but he needs to pick his spots better that will come with time. The whole point is crosby at 17 years old has shown no sign of being a bust. there is no way he will put up gretzky numbers but he could put up Joe sakic like numbers and if he turns out like Joe thats not a bust.

i still think he has miles to go before people lable him with the joe sakic brand. thats my point he has played amazing but people are saying he is the next joe sakic that is a very bold statment sakic was and is one of the most talented nhl forwards of all time.

Look familiar?

You tell us that we haven't proven to you that Crosby is overhyped, well what is your argument, that he puts himself out of position to make a big hit? That is your argument?

I also find it funny that you refer to the people that disagree with as idiots and that we must not watch much hockey. Dude, it is our opinions and if you don't like them, tough.

Furback
03-08-2005, 01:07 AM
you guys claimed he was a bust what is your proof explain why you think he is a bust and i will agree with you. as for dion i guess i just dont think he is as great as some people i think he has got overatted in my eyes i like webber better but hey whatever i dont want to change your minds i just got defensive cause people called crosby the next daigle cause that is silly. I dont care if you disagree with me but if your being a idiot i will call you an idiot i dont play this one big happy family crap.

Orv
03-08-2005, 01:34 AM
You know what, I don't think anyone called him a bust. You're simply putting words in people's mouths. I said "it smells a little too much like Alexandre Daigle". I also said I'd wait until he actually played a professional game before I called him the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he is a hell of a player but the comparisons to Gretzky, Mario, and the rest of the greats are a little pre-mature.

The argument you have against Phaneuf is basically the exact same argument we have against Crosby. You say Weber is better, Scotty believes that Brule is better and you ripped him for it. Where is your proof to back up your belief that Phaneuf is overrated? You are always asking us for proof so where is yours? Remember Phaneuf was named CHL's best prospect two years running by a panel of experts.

The idiot comments were a little ironic to me because many of the people you called idiots at least had a handle on some basic spelling and punctuation unlike some of the gibberish of yours we had to battle through.

Orv
03-08-2005, 02:30 AM
ALSO....

Dude your arguments are so flawed. I can't sleep so I think I might go through and point some of these out for you.

...if the first two years of juniors are ant indacation crosby is the real deal...

Scotty already pointed this out but...

G A P
Crosby 112 168 280
Daigle 80 167 247

Crosby has put up monster numbers but if the first two years of Jr. are an indication Daigle should be tearing it up in NHL. In case you did not know, he is not.

only time will tell but daniel cleary played with him in a camp when he was 16 and said he could make the nhl at 16 but i guess you dub fans know what it takes to make it to the nhl over a nhler?

Hehe, NHLer Daniel Cleary, who also put up monster numbers in Jr. only to fall flat on his ass in the show.

crosby is the real deal not cause he has all these points but becuase i have watched hockey for 25 years and i know tallent and he is not just a one trick poney.

And that is why teams are beating down your door to get you to be their #1 scout because with you in control your team will be unstoppable. I'm sure there are several others on this board who have also watched hockey for 25 years and also know talent and I'm sure some of them will reserve judgment on Sid until he actually plays a game of pro.

well i think our nhls hart trophey winner played in the Q oh wait so did the conn smyth winner ya yuo guys are right you have proven me wrong lol

Actually Martin St. Louis played four years at the U of Vermont. I'm surprised a veteran hockey watcher and talent knower would not know that yet a guy like me who "must not know much about hockey" would. Strange.

even gretzky could win the scoring title at 16 crosby did

You are right on the mark with that statement. Gretzky may not have won the scoring title but he did amass 182 points (which amazingly did not win the scoring race). So which is more prolific scoring 182 points without a scoring title or scoring 135 with a scoring title? It's up to you.

Well that's what I came up with. Take it for what it's worth.

Furback
03-08-2005, 04:49 PM
ya but you cant compare generations you cant its not fair even the goals per game for teams have dropped so to compare stats is impossible to do. hockey has become more about systemes and players individual production has dropped off. to compare what a player did even ten years ago is impossible. the only thing i can say is crosby has lead junior hockey in scoring two years in a row daigle did not crosby is a two way player daigle is not to compare the two just on points alone proves you dont watch hockey you just watch stats. hey all i said about cleary was he said the kid could play in the nhl at 16 he plays with nhl he knows the skill level i think i will take his word over yours. Cleary did not tear up the O he was ok as far as junior scorers go he got overhyped cause he got invited to world junior camp at 16 but he only had one 100 point year in 4 seasons with the bulls. This is a pointless argument we will not know if crosby is a bust for a few years but my only point is he has not shown any signs of being a bust oh ya still waiting for you guys to explain that to me.

Orv
03-08-2005, 05:03 PM
ya but you cant compare generations you cant its not fair even the goals per game for teams have dropped so to compare stats is impossible to do. hockey has become more about systemes and players individual production has dropped off. to compare what a player did even ten years ago is impossible. the only thing i can say is crosby has lead junior hockey in scoring two years in a row daigle did not crosby is a two way player daigle is not to compare the two just on points alone proves you dont watch hockey you just watch stats. hey all i said about cleary was he said the kid could play in the nhl at 16 he plays with nhl he knows the skill level i think i will take his word over yours. Cleary did not tear up the O he was ok as far as junior scorers go he got overhyped cause he got invited to world junior camp at 16 but he only had one 100 point year in 4 seasons with the bulls. This is a pointless argument we will not know if crosby is a bust for a few years but my only point is he has not shown any signs of being a bust oh ya still waiting for you guys to explain that to me.

Yes, we agree on something!!!! We won't know if he's a bust and we won't know if he will be a superstar. That is basically what we have all been arguing about. Also no one said he was going to be a bust. I compared him to Daigle, that's it.

Furback
03-08-2005, 05:50 PM
It is a horrible comparason the only thing they have in common is they both went #1 well crosby not yet but as soon as there is the draft