PDA

View Full Version : Fitness coming into play

nivek_wahs
03-14-2007, 03:18 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=dabcae62-619b-449d-8607-d54f9e2d2e82

Fitness coming into play

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Regina Pats head coach Curtis Hunt believes the key to third-period success lies in overtime.

Beyond the typical Xs and Os, Hunt is continually stressing the benefits of putting in extra time away from the ice, with particular emphasis on nutrition, rest, mental preparation and physical conditioning.

Improvement in all those areas has helped Regina bounce back from a sub-par first half to post one of the best records in the league since the New Year (20-7-1-3).

The Pats' recent dominance has been particularly evident during the third period. Over the past seven games, the WHL club has assembled a record of 5-0-0-2 while outscoring its opponents by a staggering margin of 15-1 in the final 20 minutes.

"First off, it's our fitness level," Hunt explained while preparing for tonight's road clash with the Prince Albert Raiders. "Our guys, begrudgingly at times, have really committed themselves to the off-ice workouts, to getting stronger. We also try to do a lot of things throughout our practices at a high tempo -- a lot of puck work and a lot of speed."

It carries over to the games, where the Pats pride themselves on setting a pace which the opposition can't always sustain. Regina typically gets stronger as the night progresses, often turning close games into blowouts.

"When we play that simple game plan and we play as a team, we have the ability to just keep coming and coming and coming and sustain that kind of effort for 60 minutes," continued Hunt, whose team has outscored its opponents 32-12 in the past seven outings.

"If you're not strong enough or fit enough as a player, then you will cut corners (on the ice). The reality is, if you're a carpenter, you don't leave your tools in the rain. If you're an athlete, you need to take care of your body.

"I credit the players for their commitment to the fitness program."

He also credits trainer Greg Mayer, whose strict off-ice agenda has helped make Regina one of the WHL's best-conditioned teams.

"I trust Greg to do his job," said Hunt, who also worked with Mayer for three seasons with the Moose Jaw Warriors. "He takes pride in the fact that we're a fit team. He takes pride in the fact that our third periods are as good as anybody's right now. He takes pride in staying up to date with the latest ideas, techniques and theories on fitness in hockey."

For Mayer, doing his homework is the easy part. Implementing it into the players' daily routine is another matter altogether.

"There's a reason I have no hair after 10 years in this league," he said with a laugh. "Probably half our team is (made up of) guys who give 100 per cent and they're always willing to do extra. There are about five or six guys who are what you would consider average; they'll go either way. And there are probably about five or six that I'll battle with every day."

In this case, the ends justify the means.

"We want to be in better shape than every other team in the league and it has been showing," noted defenceman Craig Schira, one of the Pats' best-conditioned players. "We have a lot of speed so if we can wear teams down they're not going to have anything left in the third period, whereas we do."

Mayer's conditioning program includes a variety of aerobic and strength-training routines, some of which vary depending upon the specific needs of individual players (ie: foot speed). The goal is to put each athlete in a position to reach his full potential on the ice -- and hopefully deter injuries in the process.

"My standards are pretty high," added Mayer. "I expect the same as Curtis expects on the ice because I know it does benefit our team. It's not just what I'm doing, it's also what Curtis and (assistant) Terry (Perkins) are doing. Their drills on the ice tend to be very quick, very sport specific, so the players build up their conditioning on the ice as well. I think it does help us come that third period."

THE GAMES

PATS vs. BRONCOS

First-Round Playoff Dates

Fri., March 23: Swift Current at Regina, 7 p.m.

Sat., March 24: Swift Current at Regina, 7 p.m.

Tues., March 27: Regina at Swift Current, 7:30 p.m.

Wed., March 28: Regina at Swift Current, 7:30 p.m.

Fri., March 30: Swift Current at Regina, 7 p.m. (if necessary).

Sun., April 1: Regina at Swift Current, 7 p.m. (if necessary).

Tues., April 3: Swift Current at Regina, 7 p.m. (if necessary).

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007