PDA

View Full Version : Warriors look to bury Blades

nivek_wahs
03-14-2007, 03:22 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=ffb9c377-8549-43fc-a96f-ae80bd8d3910

Warriors look to bury Blades

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2007

WARRIORS (27-39-3-0) AT BLADES (25-40-2-2),
7:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre
- - -

Time hasn't blurred the memory for Jordan Knackstedt.

The Saskatonian netted his first Western Hockey League goal at Credit Union Centre on Oct. 4, 2004, as a member of the Red Deer Rebels.

"I was sitting back-door and I had a wide-open net for a tap-in," Knackstedt recalled Tuesday.

He returns tonight with a bigger goal in mind.

Should Knackstedt and the Moose Jaw Warriors win, they'll officially knock the Saskatoon Blades to the sidelines. On the contrary, a Saskatoon victory would intensify a three-way playoff chase between the Blades, Warriors and Prince Albert Raiders.

"We've come a long way, so we don't want to just blow it out the window now," said Knackstedt.

The Warriors were 11-21-1-0 when they acquired Knackstedt from Red Deer on Dec. 14. He's been an integral part of Moose Jaw's turnaround.

"From Day 1, he came in with a positive attitude," said Warriors general manager Chad Lang. "He was tremendous in our locker-room and I know he's well-respected by his peers." So much for the quiet kid who was drafted 39th overall in the 2003 WHL bantam draft.

"I used to be a lot more shy," said Knackstedt. "I didn't really talk a lot and if someone asked me a question, I answered pretty briefly. I've opened up a bit and that's helped a lot." Knackstedt, 18, has registered at least one point in 14 straight games. If he finds the scoresheet tonight, Knackstedt will match Everett's Zach Hamill for the longest points streak in the WHL this season.

Overall, Knackstedt has 37 points in 36 games with Moose Jaw. Prior to the trade, he had 17 points in 33 games with Red Deer.

"Sometimes a change is all these kids need," said Lang. "We knew prior to acquiring him that he had a lot of offensive ability. He's a big kid with extremely good hands." Lately, the 6-foot-3 Knackstedt has played on a line with Riley Holzapfel and Jason Reese, who was acquired from the Vancouver Giants as part of the Kenndal McArdle trade. In addition to consistent point production, Knackstedt has helped steady a fragile Moose Jaw psyche.

"During Jordan's time in Red Deer, he learned a lot not only about the game, but also about himself and what he can contribute to a hockey club," said Lang. "He's brought that over here, plus he's maybe had a little more freedom offensively here." Knackstedt said he's thrilled to be part of the Warriors, but he's also mindful of what he learned from Red Deer coach-GM Brent Sutter.

"He does everything professional and treats his players as professionals, so that has a big impact." BLADE BITS: Blades LW Rastislav Konecny is expected to play tonight for the first time since breaking his jaw Jan. 5. However, C Justin McCrae remains doubtful with a groin pull.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007