PDA

View Full Version : Pat C's practising with Pats

nivek_wahs
03-16-2007, 04:23 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=a6e053a2-ae65-42fd-9627-9f9263d6601c

Pat C's practising with Pats

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, March 16, 2007

The offseason is on hold for two members of the Regina Pat Canadians.

Although the midget AAA club was eliminated from the first round of the playoffs last week, Garrett Mitchell and Matt Strueby have been given a second life by the WHL's Regina Pats.

Both players are tentatively scheduled to dress for at least one of the Pats' remaining two regular-season games this weekend against the Brandon Wheat Kings. Mitchell and Strueby have been practising with the WHL club all week and are expected to stick around during the postseason.

"It's a great opportunity, especially growing up in Regina and watching these guys play since I was young," said Mitchell, a 15-year-old forward. "Any time I can step on the ice with these guys, you learn so much. Practicing with them now is just unbelievable."

Mitchell, a second-round pick in the 2006 WHL bantam draft, has already dressed for three games with Regina this season. Strueby, an undrafted list pickup, could make his WHL debut as early as tonight in Brandon after finalizing his WHL contract last week.

"I'm nervous and excited," offered the 17-year-old forward. "I think about (playing that first game) before I go to bed every night. I can't wait. It'll be good to see if I can keep up with the pace of the game and see how different it is from AAA."

A third member of the Pat Canadians, 16-year-old forward Brent Raedeke, has also been practising with the WHL club this week. Having clinched second place in the East Division, the Pats are in position to give some of their prospects a look-see before the postseason.

"At this time of year you can get a read on where they're at because the practices are at a high tempo, certainly a lot higher than anything they've ever been through," noted GM Brent Parker. "The experience of being around at this time of year (should benefit them) down the road. A guy like Colten Teubert is not going to be nearly as intimated going into the playoffs this year because he was able to spend that time with us last year."

Mitchell and Strueby aren't just space-fillers in the Pats' dressing room. Both are highly regarded prospects who will be auditioning for full-time jobs next season.

Mitchell, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound sparkplug, had 14 goals, 11 assists and a team-high 140 penalty minutes in 42 games with the Pat C's this season. Strueby, a lanky 6-foot-1, 165 pounder, was the league's co-MVP and leading scorer with 36 goals in 43 games.

Since both players are home-town products, they can expect more fan recognition than a run-of-the-mill prospect. That's especially true for Strueby, whose father Todd is a former WHL star who recently rejoined the Pats as a part-time assistant coach.

"There's not a lot we can do to alleviate those expectations," said Parker. "They're (a product of) what he has accomplished to this point in midget. Throw in the fact his dad was a good player here, there are going to be some of those expectations. But based on the (character of the) kid and the family I don't think the expectations are any greater than what he probably places on himself. I think that's a positive."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
03-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I've heard so much talk about Strueby, I'm excited to finally get a chance to see him play! The Pats have some GREAT prospects in their system. This team looks pretty good for a few years to come.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Its surprising to read that mitchell has 140 penalty minutes along with some decent numbers. He is gonna be fun player to watch next year.