PDA

View Full Version : Parker not looking too far ahead

nivek_wahs
03-16-2007, 04:24 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=23f60f85-bd73-441d-98dd-3040e6fd0d90

Parker not looking too far ahead

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, March 16, 2007

The WHL's Regina Pats have spent the entire season looking up at the first-place Brandon Wheat Kings.

Now the Pats are trying hard not to look around them.

Regina and Brandon wrap up the regular season this weekend with a meaningless home-and-home set that begins tonight at the Keystone Centre and concludes Saturday at the Brandt Centre.

Since both teams have already clinched a playoff spot, these final two games are little more than a playoff tuneup.

The Wheat Kings will be scoreboard watching as they wait for a first-round opponent to emerge from a group comprising the Prince Albert Raiders, Moose Jaw Warriors and Saskatoon Blades.

Regina is already looking ahead to its series against the Swift Current Broncos. However, the Pats can't completely move forward until they get through this weekend -- preferably injury-free.

"I wish we were starting the playoffs (today)," offered Pats GM Brent Parker. "I think all the teams that have clinched a playoff spot would rather have that, but (these last games) are what they are and you have to play them. As soon as you start tip-toeing around out there, that's when you will get hurt."

The Pats and Wheat Kings are among the league's hottest teams. Brandon owns a 9-1 record in its past 10 games, while Regina has gone 7-0-1-2 over the same span.

Neither side wants to see their streak end this weekend.

"We want to go in (to the playoffs) with some momentum," said Parker. "We've played well down the stretch but we want to keep that going. You don't want to let your foot off the gas and lose that rhythm."

"We're looking forward to these games as practise," added Pats defenceman Logan Pyett. "We want to work on getting mentally prepared for the playoffs in games where we might be in tough situations. We're trying to change our mindset a bit and just pretend like we're down in a series and we need to win these games."

The Pats will also derive motivation from their opponent. Regina has had the Wheat Kings' number this season, posting a record of 5-1-1-0 in head-to-head meetings.

The Pats also believe they should be the team hanging up an East Division pennant in their arena, not Brandon.

"We've played good against them this year," added Pyett. "We think we're the best team in this division. They're in first place but we feel it should be us. We want to just win these games, finish the season strong going into the playoffs and prove that we should have been where they are."

EXTRAS: Parker reiterated that his team will "for the most part" continue to dress its full lineup this weekend. The main question marks are RW Brett Leffler (shoulder) and D Craig Schira (leg), both of whom practised Thursday but are listed as day-to-day. Both will be ready for the playoffs ... Forward prospects Matt Strueby, 17, and Garrett Mitchell, 15, are likely to see action this weekend . . . Brandon is slated to be without RW Juraj Simek (sprained ankle) and RW Ryan Reaves (strep throat). C Tyler Dittmer (concussion) and D Theran Yeo (wrist) are close to returning.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
03-16-2007, 12:43 PM
You know, if these guys had played the way they are now, all season (consistently, not just in spurts) they'd easily be at the top of this division. I think they've won every series in their division (except Saskatoon, I think?? That's a little weird, lol) Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on the past and the whole "shoulda, coulda, woulda". My point here is that it is MY FEELING that this is the best overall team in this division (and probably the best I've seen in my relatively short time as a Pats fan). I REALLY like this team, definately my favourite in 8 years. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise...they don't have that sense of entitlement that sometimes comes with being a first place team. They've still got plenty to prove.

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
03-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Well they got brought back to earth last night good old fasion spanking. Should be a gooder tonight, hope both goalies play better neither could stop a beach ball last night

Pats11
03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Well they got brought back to earth last night good old fasion spanking. Should be a gooder tonight, hope both goalies play better neither could stop a beach ball last night

That tends to happen when they sit most of their top players, no Ross, Festerling, Deck, Ofukany and Schira. That's a whole lotta fire power along with two of their top d-men out and they still put up 5 goals, that's gotta worry the wheaties just a bit.