View Full Version : Warriors pass up golden opportunity

nivek_wahs
03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=17042&sc=9

Warriors pass up golden opportunity
Tribe loses 3-1 to Saskatoon

RANDY PALMER
The Moose Jaw Times Herald

The Moose Jaw Warriors and Prince Albert Raiders seem to be approaching the last playoff spot in the East Division like two horses that simply don’t want to race.
And all of a sudden there’s another runner, albeit a pretty lame one, coming up from behind.
The Warriors failed to do themselves any kind of a favour Wednesday as they dropped a 3-1 decision to the Saskatoon Blades in Saskatoon in a game that could have knocked the sixth-place Blades from the playoff picture.
Instead, the Blades (26-40-2-2) are now very much alive, sitting a point back of the Warriors (27-40-3-0), who are a point back of the Raiders (26-38-3-3) after Prince Albert lost 2-1 to Regina at home Wednesday.
“That’s one of the frustrating things, we sure could have helped ourselves against a team that isn’t as good as a Regina or Brandon or Calgary or Kootenay, but they sure didn’t make us look good tonight,” said Warriors coach Rene Lemire. “It seems like we have nine lives, but sooner or later we’re going to have to help our own cause rather than depending on other teams to beat P.A.”
Wednesday wasn’t one of those nights, as the Warriors came out with far less intensity than the coaching staff hoped for and were outshot 14-7 in the first period. They managed to escape the opening frame in a scoreless draw but gave up a pair of late second period power play goals to trail 2-0 heading into the third.
“We didn’t get the start we wanted, we were just watching in the first seven or eight minutes and didn’t do the little things that we set out to do,” Lemire said. “That was very surprising, it was the exact opposite of what we’d been doing in practice the last couple of days and of what we’d studied on video . . . We wanted to be a tough, aggressive hard-hitting team and we came out timid.”
Joe Logan and Brad Cole scored the second period goals for the Blades before Derek Hulak gave Saskatoon a 3-0 lead two minutes into the third.
Warriors captain Steve Gillen got one back five minutes into the final frame, but that would be as close as they’d get.
Joey Perricone made 31 saves in taking the loss, Braden Holtby stopped 17 for Saskatoon.
The Warriors now turn their attention to a crucial home and home set with the Swift Current Broncos this weekend, with Saturday’s regular season capper 7 p.m. at the Civic Centre.
“We have to come out with some enthusiam and play the body, otherwise we’re going to find ourselves in trouble again, and then it’s lights out,” Lemire said.
“Right now there’s still a glimmer of hope, but we’ll be packing up on Sunday unless we shape up.”

hobster
03-16-2007, 09:38 PM
so sry warrior fans the raider play like a memorial cup team when they play against us better luck next it's so fusterating

Triton
03-16-2007, 09:42 PM
The Blades and the Warriors did it to themselves.There were numerous opportunities to take advantage of all the PA losses this past month.

They can't blame anyone but themselves.

BantamDraft
03-16-2007, 09:45 PM
No, PA backed into the playoffs due to the other teams playing just as bad as them. None of the 3 teams are any good and none of them deserve to be in the playoffs either.

hobster
03-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Warriors Are More Promissing Than The Blades Are Next Year Sorry Bantam Draft

Blades 4 Life!
03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Warriors Are More Promissing Than The Blades Are Next Year Sorry Bantam Draft

I would have to disagree on that one Hobster. Both teams will do some major damage next year but I think the Blades are more promising.

The Blades and the Warriors did it to themselves.There were numerous opportunities to take advantage of all the PA losses this past month.

They can't blame anyone but themselves.

Thats how you have to look at it. The Blades had numerous amount of chances but they couldn't do it. I think if they would have either betten the Rebels or Hitman on the Alberta trip I think they would have made it.

Next year is going to be a big change in the standing. The Blades and the Warriors will be making the playoffs next year.

patsdude114
03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
It is no surprise to me that the Warriors didnt make the playoffs this season, actually they surprised me just a tad that they didnt finish last in the division like where i picked them to finish after loosing as much as they did from last season's team (Brouwer,Boyd,Jones) they lost ALOT of offence the Warriors were a Run n' Gun team last season and this season they were going to have to commit to defence 1st, and get scoring when they got chances.

There were some up's and down's this season i think for the Warriors, Riley Holzapfel was the biggest up this season having scored 39 goals with 82pts, he was going to need to put up those kind of numbers for the Warriors to even have a chance this season. Another up was Jason Reese once he was acquired from Vancouver haing avg 1 point/game with 46 points in 46 games.

One of the biggest dissapointments this season i think from watching the Warriors was the inconsistent play of Joey Perricone between the pipes, his rebound control I personally think got worse as the season progressed.

I think the Warriors will be alright nexted season even better off if the Warriors can get Riley Holzapfel back from Atlanta for another junior season. I think he will be back in MJ nexted year but you just never know what will happen in the Atlanta organization. With a few good trades this year bring in guys like Jason Reese, Jordan Knackstedt, Brady Calla, and Keith Voytechek all will be returning nexted season. Along with Jason Bast and bigger roles will be filled by Giffen Nyren, Neal Prokop, and Jason Grecica.

I think the biggest question on the Warriors for nexted season will be between the pipes, do the Warriors keep either goalie as a 20 yr old nexted season Kurt Jory or Joey Perricone. One will prob be the goaltender of the Edmonton Oil Kings (since they get five 20 yr olds for their 1st season) I have no comment on either goalie both are capable but neither flashy.

On the Warriors defence could have two 20 yr old defencemen with Hengen and Grundling, I think Grundling will prob get released being a 20 yr old and a euro its not like hes a top euro in the league to begin with release him and draft a new euro. Other returning Dmen will still be a extremely young blueline with Sutter, Hamonic, Stanton, Suer, Ehrhardt with a spot for Kevin Smith or another prospect.

All in all i think the Warriors will be in great shape nexted season will challange for 3rd spot easily and possibly abit higher if they get some goaltending.