PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Surprise of the 2004-2005 season.

Tipped Off
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Best/Worst Surprise of the 2004-2005 season.

Worst: I would have to say the player I had the highest expectations for, that hasn’t produced, has been Curtis Billsten. An 86 born winger, Billsten is an imposing 6’3” tall and weighs in at 226 pounds. Despite the large presence Billsten is definitely not an “enforcer” at his position. He never gets mentioned in the “hit of the night” on the post game shows and unless you look for him, you really don’t notice him that much during the game. As a case in point, last season in 63 games Billsten had 20 points (8 goals, 12 assists), 26 PIM’s and a +/- of +14. This year Billsten has played in 62 games, has 22 points (11 & 11), 56 PIM’s & a +/- of -11. Not exactly the type of improvement you’d like to see out of the biggest player on your team. Last season Billsten seemed to turn it on with about a quarter of the season to go. In fact, in the playoffs, Billsten got the start in many games and posted some good numbers…8 points in 21 games with a +6. I just expected him to become a top player in a Constantine designed defense first system in which he could utilize his strength and size to impose that attitude on the opposition. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if Billsten wasn’t with the Tips next season. Mitch Love gets honorable mention in this category. After two consecutive 70 game seasons, Love has missed 15 games this year due to injury and although his points are up he has a negative +/- and his overall physical presence has been what this team lacks this year (twice baiting opponents into fights then refusing to drop the gloves hasn’t helped his image any either).

Best: Since I have to limit myself to players who started the season with the Tips (I really like the “other” player we got in the Alex Leavitt trade…Kyle Annesley – he is a workhorse on the boards and a surprisingly agile offensive player), I will go with the team leader in +/- rating, Brady Calla. Calla has taken a backseat to Zack Hamill in the rookie “Buzz.” In a lot of ways I think he has been more impressive (no knock on Hamill who has had a great year, but not really a “surprise”). Calla got to see action in three games last season. I’m not sure if that played into his personal expectations for this year, but he has blown mine away. In 59 games he has 19 points, is +7 & has three game winning goals (including two in the last five games). He’s earned spots on the top two lines and on specialty teams. At 6’0”, 185 this kid still has a little growing to do. Once he beefs up a little I expect nothing but the best from him in Everett. I can’t wait to see Calla and Hamill lead this team as 17-year-olds next season. Honorable mention goes to Mike Wall with 10 Shutouts and a GAA of under two & Jonathan Harty who has been asked as a 16-year-old to play offense and defense (center & defensemen) when the team has been in a pinch due to injuries.

Remember, this is not a “who do you think is the best player on the tips” post. It is who are the biggest/worst SURPRISES. So before you all go tell me how great Baranka or Heshka have been, my questions would be is their good play really all that surprising? If the answer is yes, than state your case!

Kristi
03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Glad to see someone else recognize him! He definately has outplayed what I expected this year. I am currently working on a scrapbook for him and my husband told me when I got his "well you won't have much to do since he is a rookie and won't play much". He has not missed a game this season yet.

He works hard night in and night out! He definately is quiet and I believe has for the most part played better than Zach on a consistant basis. He definately will grow taller and put on weight this summer and will come in to camp next fall I'm guessing at least 2 inches taller and probably will gain 20 lbs this summer.

I totally agree with your comments on Billsten and would be shocked to see him back next season. I thnk a change of scenery would do him good. That is purely a professional reason I have met his family they are very nice and he is a very nice young man but there are times when a change can do wonders for a career.

I was expecting bigger things from Ellington this season as well. He has been getting better the more he plays and that I realize just comes with playng more and more.

IceMan
03-02-2005, 01:37 AM
This post accidentally deleted...sorry. I thought I was posting a new post & I must have hit the edit button on accident.

Tipped Off
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
The reason I listed Wall as an honorable mention in my best surprises was because I actually was one of the dew who wasn't that impressed with him last year. I saw the exact sae things then as I see now....LOOONNNGGG rebounds, unable to control the puck and can't find the open man fast enough. I fully expected him to come into this season, get about 10-15 starts then Irving takes the job. Of course, I also thought like you the team would be under 500 and looking to the future, so Constantine would make a change to the younger goalie to get him some experience. So I guess the "surprise" is that he's played well enough to hold the job.