PDA

View Full Version : Buzzer sounds for Blades

nivek_wahs
03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=ef89fd03-e9e9-43d2-a18f-a34b21f2f313

Buzzer sounds for Blades

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, March 17, 2007

RAIDERS 5, BLADES 0

PRINCE ALBERT -- When the Prince Albert Mintos won the national midget championship last spring, Matt Robertson scored plenty of big goals.

He scored a bigger one Friday.

Robertson's short-handed goal opened the scoring and he fi nished with a hat trick as the Prince Albert Raiders beat the Saskatoon Blades 5-0 to clinch the fi nal WHL playoff berth in the second-last game of the season.

"He's a special player in that he thrives on important times and important games," Raiders head coach Peter Anholt said of Robertson.

Robertson's hat trick punctuated an impressive rookie season. The 19-year-old leads his hometown team with 37 goals, including six game-winners.

The Raiders, Blades and Moose Jaw Warriors began the day in a three-way struggle for fourth-place in the East Division.

However, Prince Albert clinched fourth thanks to its victory and Moose Jaw's loss in Swift Current, 7-2 to the Broncos. The Raiders and Blades cap the regular season tonight at Credit Union Centre at 7:05 p.m. Prince Albert meets the Brandon Wheat Kings in the fi rst round.

An ugly incident marred the late stages of the game. With 7:18 left, Blades centre Colton Gillies drew a major penalty for checking from behind on Raiders captain Mike Hellyer. Hellyer was motionless for a few moments, but it was Gillies who left in rough shape. His face was bloodied after he went face-fi rst into the glass and he had to be helped to the dressing room.

"It's a repeat offender and that's the one thing which is probably the biggest concern," said Anholt, "But we came out of it OK. Helly's OK, so it's for the league to worry about." Raiders general manager Donn Clark was also up in arms. Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken said he did not see the hit, but he defended his player.

"I think Colton had seven checkingfrom- behind penalties coming in and they were all minors to this point," said Molleken. "In six of them, it was very clear that guys turned, simply because they knew they were going to get hit and they bailed out.

"That answers my question to Donny Clark and Peter Anholt. I can't comment on (Friday's) hit because I haven't seen it yet. The reason Colton Gillies hasn't gotten suspended in any of his checkingfrom- behind penalties is . . . you get kids turning back because they're going to get hit. So don't blame Colton Gillies." As for Gillies's condition, Molleken said he was stiff and took a few stitches to seal a gash in his nose.

Jesse Deckert made 20 saves to earn the shutout. Saskatoon netminder Braden Holtby gamely made 40 saves, but the Raiders' peppering proved too much.

Hellyer put Prince Albert ahead 2-0 at 1:14 of the second The Raiders kept pressing. By the game's midpoint, their territorial dominance was written all over the shot clock: Prince Albert 29, Saskatoon 6.

History did not favour a Saskatoon comeback. When trailing after two periods, the Blades are 1-37-1-1 this season.

Robertson scored two third-period power-play goals to complete his hat trick.

Devon LeBlanc also scored on the power play during the major penalty to Gillies.

BLADE BITS: Blades C Justin McCrae (groin) missed a seventh straight start.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
03-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Ya they suck alright.

BantamDraft
03-17-2007, 11:46 AM
That is a real mature comment. The Blades were likely one of the youngest teams in the CHL and didn't have a single 19 yr old player on the roster and yet took it right down to the final weekend for a playoff spot. Their 20 yr olds were journeymen players put into key situation and did perform as well as they could but were not by any means elite. I think they did very well and that is a testiment to the young talent and the coaching staff as well.

Dwight Schrute
03-17-2007, 12:25 PM
what a load of crap from mollekin saying that gillies all gillies hits from behind were not intentional. he is a dirty greasy player, and brings shame to his uncle clark's name.

ProStaff
03-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Go post on your own teams forum you piece of garbage!!! you hate Gillies move on. Gauthier is a nobody and one of the leagues elite dirty players!!! he will be an east coast hockey player for his whole life!! while Gillies will play in the big leagues!

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Go post on your own teams forum you piece of garbage!!! you hate Gillies move on. Gauthier is a nobody and one of the leagues elite dirty players!!! he will be an east coast hockey player for his whole life!! while Gillies will play in the big leagues!
oh Burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet if Gillies was a Raider(I hate to say that but I am getting to a point) the Raider fans would be glorifying his hits and everything else he does. I could expect Raider fans to say that if their team did not have a dirty player(but they say that anyways) :(

Dwight Schrute
03-17-2007, 05:34 PM
haha strike a nerve oh wise one ?. i dont hate gillies, i said i hate that he hits dirty, and from behind (its pretty yellow to do that) and also it disgusts me even more that he gets rewarded for it with a hit of the game. howley and others agree with me. so pout somewhere else, and be proud as the blades surpassed 7 wins this yeah, and almost made the playoffs.

Blades 4 Life!
03-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Gillies does make dirty hits and if anyone thinks else then something is wrong. I'm a Blades fans but I don't support Gillies when he does that. That's what hockey's not about. If Gillies had someone lined up pretty good he could easily break their neck and there dream would be over. I have never supported Gillies when he throws those dirty hits. But besides the dirty hits, hes a great player.

Blades 4 Life!
03-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Ya they suck alright.
What the hell is the point of posting that! Keep you negative coments to yourself cause every other Blades fans is getting sick of it! And I can see why you have a post limit... cause your posts are 5-10 words. Make a post that is worth reading.

Shortys
03-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I have to agree with Danno on Gillies. He is a great player with great potential, but he really need to learn to control his hits. Although most of his hits from behind are not intetional(guys turning there backs) he still need to learn to turn it down and read the play better when this happens. I was at the game last night in PA and his hit was very brutal! I seen him tonight in the concorse and he had stitches in his nose, very lucky nothing worse happened to Hellyer. I think he will learn from this last hit and be a better player from it, I hope.
Sorry I just have to add....Klotz bloodied Vann pretty good last night!

On another note I have to commend the Raiders on their fan support! The atmosphere in the Art Houser center was unbelievable, standing room only, and the noise level was crazy! No wonder we have a hard time there!

Wildeyes
03-18-2007, 12:33 AM
As a ref we are always told that the ownus is on the person doing the check and not the one being check.

SO in simple terms so you can understand

If i am checking a player and he turns I have to do everything i can to not hit him even if he turned

if he turns and we try to protect him we are not supposed to give out penalty for that because we tryed to protect him

IF THE PLAYER TURNS DO NOT HIT HIM simple as that

Wildeyes
03-18-2007, 12:38 AM
why did Klotz get the game misc tonite

Sabes
03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Had a couple Blades fans behind us lastnight and I must say the guy with the Wintoneak camo jersey is a pretty nice guy and a class act. They were amazed at the crown number and 50/50 total.

Drop em' eh
03-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Sorry I just have to add....Klotz bloodied Vann pretty good last night!

Yes he did, that left to the nose did it, but... the younger and smaller Vann knew he had nothing to lose when he challenged the bigger, older, and heavier klotz, and everything to gain. 0-0 early in the game, he wanted to spark his team in their most important game of the season. Guess what, after the fight the Raiders went on to play one of their best games in a long time, and win the game, mission accomplished. Lose the fight, Win The Battle (game). Huge sacrafice, BIG payoff!! He's got a lot of guts to challenge klotz.

Originally Posted by Drop em' eh
vann took the whole klotz issue right out of the game, and the raiders were able to roll on after that. talk about a team player taking one for the team and doin' them proud. way to go kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoabram
exactly, character and a willingness to do anything for his team (enforce, wing, defense, sit) true team player. will never turn down a fight, and is only gonna get better.

howley
03-18-2007, 09:21 AM
klotz got a game for doing the old throat slashing sign at the end of the 2nd when the benches were chirpin' at each other. I mean honestly...what has the game come to when you can't give the other team a friendly throat slash without consequence.

Drop em' eh
03-18-2007, 10:41 AM
klotz got a game for doing the old throat slashing sign at the end of the 2nd when the benches were chirpin' at each other. I mean honestly...what has the game come to when you can't give the other team a friendly throat slash without consequence.

a friendly throat slash :laugh: thats a good one!

Yah, its not like he gave them double one-fingered salute

Five Hole
03-18-2007, 11:09 AM

:laugh: yeah, it's not like it's demeaning or means your some deranged nut bar, or anything...... I mean guys like 'Taker and Benoit do it all the time and they never get suspended :D I guess the WHL figures if they allow WWE stuff like that, then it's just a couple of steps away from guys trying finishing moves like Stone Cold Stunners, Sharpshooters, the super lame 'Pedigree', and heaven forbid...Sweet Chin Music....don't think I'd wanna see that with skates on... Boogaard'd LOL....

howley
03-18-2007, 01:10 PM
haha, as soon as Klotz did it I looked to see if a ref was close...the ref was standing right in front of him, looking at him. Can't do the throat slash, can't call people hunchbacks...next thing you know they'll be skating around in tootoo's and score goals by landing triple axles. Jk.

I thought last nights "fight" was the worst fighting majors I've ever seen. Dulle didn't even get his gloves off I don't think. ANd how the heck did Logan and Depape get 10's. Did I miss something?

Dwight Schrute
03-18-2007, 03:11 PM
haha, as soon as Klotz did it I looked to see if a ref was close...the ref was standing right in front of him, looking at him. Can't do the throat slash, can't call people hunchbacks...next thing you know they'll be skating around in tootoo's and score goals by landing triple axles. Jk.

I thought last nights "fight" was the worst fighting majors I've ever seen. Dulle didn't even get his gloves off I don't think. ANd how the heck did Logan and Depape get 10's. Did I miss something?
i hear ya brother
depape and logan werent even in the scrum. they put their arms on each others shoulders and stayed outta the way. it was a joke call.
props to zeliska for fightin after robertson got nailed from behind. but in all reality it should have been roughing minors
now hahaha as far as the throat slash it was hilarious i was in sect e right behind the blade bench. 2 refs and a linesman in frint of him and he does it funny stuff. dumb but funny. the best part was palazzo beaking and mocking him. i hada chuckle during the pregame ceremonies when i saw depape point and him and may laugh, then i saw gillies come out to get a award with a nice line across his face

Blades 4 Life!
03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Ya the refs were handing out stupid penalties. I Have never liked Vetter... Good game and very entertaining. It was also nice that the Blades saluted the fans and Brad Cole threw his stick over the glass for the kids. When the 20 year old were coming out to accept there 3 stars. Les was talking and he said that Menei, Logan and Cole were not his 3 stars so I guess they just did that to Give the fans a last chance to congradulate them.

Maybe if Les comes on the forums, maybe he can post his 3 stars for the game.

Tidball
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I know les gave Andy Smith his third star but dont remember who the other 2 were. it was a classy move by the blades to give there 20 year olds players of the game imo

Agreed. Those 3 have done a WONDERFUL job. Ryan Menei finished with 77 points. Thats amazing considering he got cut before and played 4th line ice time all the way till this season. Cole, i cant say enough good things about him. Maybe a pro career in the balance? Logan was very valueble this season, he was our fastest D-man and saved our a-s-s plenty of times on the rush back. I wish all these 3 well in the future.

Tidball
03-18-2007, 09:03 PM
:laugh: yeah, it's not like it's demeaning or means your some deranged nut bar, or anything...... I mean guys like 'Taker and Benoit do it all the time and they never get suspended :D I guess the WHL figures if they allow WWE stuff like that, then it's just a couple of steps away from guys trying finishing moves like Stone Cold Stunners, Sharpshooters, the super lame 'Pedigree', and heaven forbid...Sweet Chin Music....don't think I'd wanna see that with skates on... Boogaard'd LOL....

Ive seen Dane Byers do the Frog Splash, lol. And in a scrum with PA last season i coulda sworn Setoguchi on purpose gave Mike Hellyer an
RKO.

My 2 fav things in the world. WHL and WWE.