PDA

View Full Version : Rowat has proven himself

nivek_wahs
03-19-2007, 06:47 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=7e17c932-c5c6-494c-9f32-672a034289eb

Rowat has proven himself

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 19, 2007
About three months ago, the goaltending position looked like a question mark for the Regina Pats.

Now it's an exclamation point!

Linden Rowat has taken his game to another level in recent weeks, which is one of the main reasons why the Pats have been able to do the same. Another key ingredient in the team's recent success has been backup Tommy Tartaglione, who filled in admirably while Rowat missed seven games with a back injury.

Now that Rowat is healthy, Regina has the luxury of depth at the game's most-crucial position.

"The good news is, the minor injury that Linden had with his back, it forced Tommy to play more than he probably would have but it was a great opportunity for him and he came through in spades," said Pats assistant coach Terry Perkins. "He did a great job for us, which just gives us more confidence that either guy can do the job."

That said, there's no doubt who will be asked to carry the load in the playoffs.

"Linden has proven that he's the guy and proven that he belongs in that No. 1 role," continued Perkins. "I think Linden can feel confident that he's ready to go and it's great to know that Tommy is right there as well. Tommy has worked very hard the last couple months to be the best that he can be and that just makes us better."

Rowat inherited the starter's job just two weeks into this season after veteran David Reekie was deemed expendable and shipped to the Everett Silvertips. Regina's next move was to acquire Tartaglione from the Vancouver Giants to provide stability at the backup position.

The Rowat-Tartaglione tandem had some rough outings while the Pats struggled through November and December, but the new year brought new life. Regina owns a record of 22-7-2-3 in 2007, a mark which couldn't have been achieved without quality goaltending.

The duo combined to set a franchise record this season with seven shutouts.

Tartaglione has won nine out of 10 starts on home ice -- picking up a CHL goalie-of-the-week award along the way -- while posting an overall record of 10-5-1-0. He also owns a respectable 2.88 goals-against average, .899 save percentage and three shutouts.

Rowat has gone 4-0-0-2 since returning from injury, giving him an overall record of 25-18-1-6. The 17-year-old also boasts a 2.87 GAA, an .897 save percentage and four shutouts.

"I'm feeling confident," Rowat said after making 23 saves in Saturday's regular-season finale -- a 4-3 OT win over the Brandon Wheat Kings. "I haven't had any more problems (with his back) so everything's fine. I'm back to my normal game now."

The timing couldn't be better.

Rowat is about to get his first taste of the playoff pressure-cooker after watching Reekie from the bench during last season's first-round elimination at the hands of the Saskatoon Blades.

"It's a completely new experience for me," Rowat said of being a playoff starter. "I'm just going to have to approach it like every other game and make sure I'm mentally prepared. Once you put too much pressure on yourself you start over-thinking and you start to make mistakes whereas if you just stay calm you'll be fine."

NOTE: The Pats announced their year-end award winners on Saturday: C Kyle Ross (MVP), D Logan Pyett (top blueliner), RW Jordan Eberle (top rookie), C Garrett Festerling (most sportsmanlike player), D Craig Schira (humanitarian), Schira (unsung hero), Rowat (scholastic), Tartaglione (fan favourite) and Festerling (top scorer). Ross also picked up the Molson Cup award for receiving the most three-star selections.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
03-19-2007, 11:02 AM
About three months ago, the goaltending position looked like a question mark for the Regina Pats.

Now it's an exclamation point!

Wowie!!!!!! Excited much? Hehe, it's okay...I can relate!

Both guys have been great lately. After Rowat came back, he was a little off to start but he settled in pretty quickly (and nicely, I might add). I think we'll do just fine in the playoffs with our inexperienced goalies, thank you very much. :)