PDA

View Full Version : Sad farewells

nivek_wahs
03-19-2007, 06:49 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=48397a65-da89-48a8-abbb-67f993bc855a

Sad farewells
Blades' Cole, Logan and Menei finish on winning note. Blades 2, Raiders 1
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Monday, March 19, 2007
Saskatoon Blades captain Brad Cole capped his Western Hockey League career with the puck on his stick.

As the buzzer rumbled Saturday night, Cole stared at the disc for a few seconds. Then he picked it up as one final souvenir of a four-year, 253-game odyssey.

Cole wasn't ready to leave, though. In front of a season-high crowd of 6,592 at Credit Union Centre, he began a solitary lap of the rink. When he reached the far end, he tossed his stick into the bleachers and a half-dozen youngsters clung to it.

"I thought I'd be able to hold my emotions in more after the game," said Cole, whose Blades concluded their season with a 2-1 win over the Prince Albert Raiders.

"The group of guys here is phenomenal. I haven't played with a group like this before and I don't know if I will again. I'm just trying to take it all in."

Defenceman Joe Logan and winger Ryan Menei also wrapped up their WHL careers Saturday. The Blades (27-41-2-2) were eliminated from the playoff race after Friday's 5-0 loss in Prince Albert. P.A. grabbed the final playoff spot in the WHL East Division.

"I'll bet my bottom dollar that in a couple of years, this team is going to go a long, long way," said Menei, his voice cracking. "(Coach-GM Lorne) Molleken has done a unbelievable job of putting those young guys together and it's a matter of time before (the Blades) bring a Memorial Cup to this city."

In a rebuilding season, all three overagers were leaned on heavily for leadership.

"It's never easy to not make playoffs," said Logan, "but hopefully us 20-year-olds have taught these young guys something so that the Blades won't miss the playoffs for a long time after this year."

As for future plans, Menei leaves Tuesday to join the Muskegon Fury -- including former Blades goaltender Ryan Cyr -- for a United Hockey League playoff run. Menei has also been offered a professional contract by Italian club Asiago for next season.

The Winnipeg native had a breakout season with a team-leading 37 goals and 42 assists.

"I can't do anything on my own," said Menei. "Playing with Justin (McCrae) all year really benefitted me, but every guy in that room has helped me, Brad and Joe to further our careers."

Cole, who attended camp with the Calgary Flames last summer, has drawn interest from four pro teams. The defenceman from Miniota, Man., said he'll settle on a direction by mid-week.

Logan's career spanned 339 games (including playoffs) with the Vancouver Giants, Spokane Chiefs and Blades. The Gull Lake product plans to assess his hockey options during the next few weeks.

"I got to play in B.C. and I got to play in the States. Then I got to come back near home to play," said Logan, who was part of the Giants' first-ever bantam draft class in 2001. "I met a lot of people and made a lot of friends. It's something that I wouldn't change if I could."

Derek Hulak opened the scoring 18 seconds into Saturday's game and Kenton Dulle netted a power-play marker 10 minutes later. That's all the offence the Blades would need.

Andy Smith ended Garrett Zemlak's shutout bid with just 20.1 seconds left in regulation.

Published: Monday, March 19, 2007
BLADE BITS: The Blades' awards gala is tonight at the Odeon Events Centre . . . Cole and Menei share this year's Debbie Down Memorial Award, which is presented annually to the Blades' most popular player. Down, a former season-ticket holder, died of cancer four years ago. Her sister, Lisa, presented the award Saturday.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

Bran
03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Aww...that's what I hate about this league. It's so sad when it's all over. I'm a big crybaby though.

howley
03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Nice to see some teams waiting for Menei and Cole. I beleive the Ryan Keller played for Muskegon off and on last year as well. I could be wrong.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Nice to see some teams waiting for Menei and Cole. I beleive the Ryan Keller played for Muskegon off and on last year as well. I could be wrong.
Yes Ryan Keller did,along with a stint in Europe and now is playing for Grand Rapids of the AHL(Detroit Red Wings Farm team) he has come along way from being undrafted,so have Cole,Menei,and Logan. I really hope that all 3 of them will be able to continue to play professional hockey. The Blades will really miss those guys,unless we find 3 carbon copy 20 year olds again. :groovy: dancing pi haha :laugh: :thumb:

BladeRunner
03-19-2007, 09:15 PM
ya it really is a weird feeling to see those players go, but we just have to move on and cheer for the next future stars, and keep track of these three players in the near future

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I never got to that game, I pre-ordered tickets but couldn't go due to....muffler problems.....I missd out, Ryan Menei carried us through a huge breakout season and I wish all of those guys all the success in the world, especially Brad Cole who was critizised for not being "offencive" enough but he proved that offencivness is no match for true leadership and it is very sad to see all those fine players leave. To quote Bran " I'm a big crybaby"