PDA

View Full Version : Rod Pedersen's Playoff Memories

nivek_wahs
03-20-2007, 12:19 AM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

As promised, here are some playoff memories from my 12 seasons as Voice of the Pats..

1996 - The first year of the Parker regime, Rich Preston had returned to his hometown after three seasons as assistant coach of the Chicago Blackhawks. We swept Lethbridge in the opening round, but it wasn't without its share of drama. Game 2 was the longest game in the history of the WHL, televised nationally on TSN. Josh Holden scored the winner in the fourth overtime sending us back to Lethbridge up 2-0. In Game 3, the Pats prevailed with a late goal to take a 3-0 series lead. However after the game, Hurricanes' coach and GM Bryan Maxwell assaulted referee Brent Reiber after the game under the stands. Maxwell was found guilty in a hearing, and was suspended for a year. Reiber never reffed in the 'Dub again.
In Round 2, the Pats went up against a loaded P.A. Raider squad with the likes of Chris Philips, Shane Willis, Steve Kelly, Curtis Brown and Rod Branch. Regina took a 3-1 series lead but injuries started to take their toll. Defenceman Derek Morris was playing with a broken hand while forward Rhett Gordon had an inner ear infection which was causing him to see three pucks. 'Just shoot the one in the middle,' advised coach Preston. And goalie Chad Mercier was playing with a debilitating back/groin injury which had him coming to the rink on crutches. The Pats had a 2-0 lead in Game 5 in P.A. and were looking to close it out, but the Raiders' Garnet Jacobsen ran Mercier when he came out to play the puck. He was carried off the ice and back-up Aaron Mori came on in relief. The Raiders won 5-2. Brent Parker had to be restrained from attacking P.A. coach Chris Stewart on the concourse after the game. An obscenity-laced exchange ensued.

Approximately 7,000 fans packed the Agridome for Game 6 and it was iffy whether or not Merc could play. Mori told the coaches that 'if he's breathing, he's playing.' But Chad couldn't go and Mori started. The Raiders won to send it back to P.A. for game 7. Mercier started that game, but was a shadow of himself and P.A. won. We went home. It would be the furthest the Pats would ever get in the playoffs in my time here.

1997 - The Pats won 42 games in the regular season and boasted a lineup of stars like Josh Holden, Lars Pettersen and Chicago 1st-round pick Dmitri Nabokov. The blueline included Derek Morris and Brad Stuart. But in Round 1, the Red Deer Rebels won in five.

1998 - Hopes were high as the Pats had captured their first division pennant in over a decade with 46 wins for coach Parry Shockey. Regina swept Moose Jaw in four in the first round even through two of the games went to overtime. But injuries hit again. Holden had the top of his left wrist skated over in the last minute of Game 2, severing four tendons. He was done for the year. Forward Boyd Kane was playing with two separated shoulders and winger John Cirjak had a sternum injury. The Brandon Wheat Kings had a solid lineup including Brett McLean and Darren Van Oene. They won the Conference Semifinal in five, clinching on Agridome ice.

1999 - Missed the playoffs.

2000 - In his second full season on the bench, Tim Tisdale piloted the Pats to a third-place finish with 32 wins. The Pats faced Saskatoon in Round 1, their first playoff meeting since '93. The Blades' lineup featured rugged players like Garnet Exelby and Darcy Hordichuk. The series went to Game 7 in Saskatoon and the game was tied 1-1 in the 3rd period when the Pats' Filip Novak took a 5-minute major for checking from behind. The Blades scored, I believe, three times on that powerplay and won it going away.

2001 - Immense pressure was on the Pats as Memorial Cup hosts. Lorne Molleken came back from the Chicago Blackhawks and coached Regina to a 40-win season and second-place in the East. The Round 1 opponent was the Calgary Hitmen and their splendid sniper Pavel Brendl. Calgary won it in six, with a home-ice victory in the Saddledome. Brendl killed the Pats, but so did the suspect goaltending of Regina's Donald Choukalous. The Pats waited 43 days until the Memorial Cup tournament and lost, as you know, in overtime of the semifinal against the Val D'or Foreurs who would lose the championship final to Red Deer in the Agridome.

2002 - A surprising 40-win season under new coach Bob Lowes had the Pats feeling good about themselves going into Round 1 against Moose Jaw. Despite a heroic effort from rookie goalie Josh Harding, the Warriors took it in 6. Pats' star Matt Hubbauer was neutralized in the series, being concussed by an elbow from the Tribe's Shawn Limpright early in the series.

2003 - This was by far the most bitter series I've ever been a part of. Check that, 1996 against P.A. was, but this was close. With Harding playing all-world, Regina got into the playoffs as the fourth seed with 25 wins. Kyle Ladobruk scored in overtime of Game 2 to give us a split in Brandon in the opening two games. But superpest, and idiot, Jordin Tootoo was running around taking heads off the Pats left and right. In Game 2, he tried to blindside Hubbauer, but Hubby got his elbow up at the last minute and wiped him out. Hubbauer got suspended for two games after the Wheaties sent the tape into the league.

Back in Regina for Game 3, one of the best 20-year leaders we've ever had, Colton Orr, flattened Tootoo with a cold-cock in the corner. He got five and a game, and the Wheaties went on to win that one, and took Game 5 on home-ice. Pats' owner Russ Parker and Wheat Kings' coach and GM Kelly McCrimmon got into an 'alleged' dust-up after Game 3 outside the dressing rooms, but I won't get into the details because I wasn't there.
I can't begin to explain how bitter and cheated I felt after that series. I never knew why the league protected Tootoo so much, and did so at our expense. It left me wondering why you go through a draft, training camp, and all the blood sweat and tears when in the end, politics is what can decide a series. Over several pops at the 11th Avenue Keg in Calgary after the bantam draft that spring I was still going on about it, but coach Lowes said, 'Geez man, you've gotta let it go.'
Eventually I did.

2004 - The Warriors had won their first-ever division pennant, and did so under coach Curtis Hunt. The Pats had scraped their way into the playoffs with 24 wins after dealing Harding to Brandon for the poster boy for bad behaviour Dustin Slade. We knew he was a powder keg, but steps were taken to try and control Slade's temper going into the game. I can't remember if it was Game 1 or 2, but Slade eventually went berserk after being bumped one too many times in the crease. He charged out of the crease, attacked a Warrior, blockered him, then got kicked out of the game. Slade speared a fan in the face on his way of the ice -- I saw it with my own eyes. Back-up rookie goalie Nick Olynyck played the rest of the series, but the Warriors won it in a sweep.

2005 - Missed.

2006 - The Pats won 40 games under Curtis Hunt, but wound up third just three points behind Saskatoon, their first round opponent. Molleken's Men won the first two in Saskatoon (Game 1 went to OT), and the Pats got a split in Games 3 and 4 at home. Regina even prevailed in Game 5 in Saskatoon thanks to the stellar play of goalie David Reekie in his hometown. But Devin Setoguchi, Wacey Rabbitt and the boys turned it up in Game 6 in Regina jumping out to a 4-0 lead and hanging on for the series win.

2007 - The Pats failed to improve on their 40-win season this year, finishing with 36 but we feel have a more-balanced and mature team. The Swift Current Broncos will be their opponents, for the first time since 1993 when the Broncos won the East Conference Finals in a sweep. The Pats won the season series 6-2, and are hoping to go deep in the playoffs but have to get by a stiff Dean Chynoweth crew. We have plenty, plenty of coverage to get to on the series in the five days ahead before Game 1 in Regina's Brandt Centre this Friday night.

witness
03-20-2007, 08:50 AM
interesting talking about Tootoo with him being suspended in the NHL. Tootoo is a great human interest story, coming from his background and making it to the NHL.
In my opinion, it is guys like Tootoo that are wrong with the game. Marginally skilled guys that are going around taking runs at guys. They have no respect for the opposition or for the game. The NHL can do without guys like that.

Broncs in RD
03-20-2007, 10:58 AM
*** are you talking about???????? Marginally skilled guys if you don't like that type of hockey watch euro hockey. Plus Tootoo had to hit that guy if he hadn't thje guy would have ran over him. baby

patsdude114
03-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Tootoo was a very skilled player in Brandon the team was built around him, Tootoo had the toughness as well to back up his play. Im not saying him taking a run at other star players like Hubbeur was right but thats how he played to be effective.....If Tootoo would of been in a Pats jersey fans here would of loved him (just like how Wheaty fans did)

Flathead
03-20-2007, 04:26 PM
interesting talking about Tootoo with him being suspended in the NHL. Tootoo is a great human interest story, coming from his background and making it to the NHL.
In my opinion, it is guys like Tootoo that are wrong with the game. Marginally skilled guys that are going around taking runs at guys. They have no respect for the opposition or for the game. The NHL can do without guys like that.
Tootoo was the guy getting ran at, after a good hit on Modano. He was protecting himself, his reaction was a little extreme, but it's what popped into his head to protect himself as he was getting run at. I'm not a Tootoo lover or hater and have seen him run people but this wasn't the case in this instense.

Big Ern
03-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Tootoo was the guy getting ran at, after a good hit on Modano. He was protecting himself, his reaction was a little extreme, but it's what popped into his head to protect himself as he was getting run at. I'm not a Tootoo lover or hater and have seen him run people but this wasn't the case in this instense.

Well, this might sound like an a**hole, but I AM A TOO TOO HATER, and he needs to learn to do stuff another way then from behind all the time.

I'm sorry. I don't feel sorry for him at all. And that punch to the face of Robidas, was COMPLETELY uncalled for. Give him ten games, and hit him in the head with brick or something. See how he likes it.

Bran
03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Well, this has gone a little off topic...lol

I don't think this particular incident was that bad...doesn't change the fact that Tootoo is and always was a dirty player. Talented, sure, but cheap.

Fight Guy
03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Really, this doesn't need to be in this thread...but i isn't anywhere else yet.

Anyway, you can read my rant on the white board about the whole situation, but that isn't very appropriate for here. To some it up...I don't like Tootoo. He was a dirty player in junior, and is now not as bad, but still lays some dirty charges. But in this situation, I have to defend him. He is not deserving of his suspension. It was sheerly self defense. He laid a clean hit on a 'star' player. I guess that was the problem, sadly enough. Wasn't dirty at all, a tad high, but nothing ridiculous at all. But like I said...he is a 'star' in this league, so he gets touched, you pay the consequences...I guess. That is the main problem with this whole situation. So Robidas comes to Modano's defense. He is clearly coming at Tootoo to attack him in whatever way because of the hit. Tootoo was aware of this, so he defended himself and threw the first punch. This is when Robidas is within a meter of him and not at all slowing down toward him. Then Robidas gets knocked out. The penalties given were the proper ones. Good work refs. Then to top it off, Modano comes back swinging his stick and hits Tootoo in the back. Now how on earth can you give someone defending himself from getting attacked, an intent to injure suspension? In this situation, you just can't make that call. You'd may as well give Robidas and intent to injure as that was obviously his plan. And again...what about Modano's stick swinging? I'm just blown away he came out of this unscaved while someone getting attacked defends himself, then gets five games. The whole marque player thing is really starting to get to me. If they can't suck up a hit or do something about it themselves, then why are they playing hockey? Really, if the league wants to protect these players, maybe they should wear pink or yellow jerseys so you know who you aren't allowed to hit. Hate to say this, but Tootoo did nothing wrong. Really, if he was going to get a suspension for it, he may has well have just cross checked him in the face and ACTUALLY make it dirty. The punch was bit dirty, but what was Robidas going to do? Oh no...I ranted :skeptical It's just so frustrating. And to top it off, Dallas was upset that they didn't recognize his milestone. Well, a minute before he scored that goal, he was getting booed for what had happened. He got booed for the goal as well. What would have happened if they announced? He would have got booed. Heck, in the heat of the situation, maybe people would have started littering the ice. It's just ridiculous how the league and Dallas has handled this situation...

/rant :evil:

Bran
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Man, there is some disappointing playoff history with this team. Kinda breaks your heart, lol...hopefully this year is the turning point...if not I'm blaming the Vanstone Curse. How dare he pick the Pats to win??? lol

Flathead
03-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, this might sound like an a**hole, but I AM A TOO TOO HATER, and he needs to learn to do stuff another way then from behind all the time.

I'm sorry. I don't feel sorry for him at all. And that punch to the face of Robidas, was COMPLETELY uncalled for. Give him ten games, and hit him in the head with brick or something. See how he likes it. Did you see the hit? It wasn't from behind.
You don't know Tootoo, you never watched him play junior. Your only mad because the Stars are your favorite team. hmmm wonder if you picked them as your favorite, because Keen talks about how there his team all the time on the radio. Read Fight Guys post he makes sense!

Bran
03-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Somebody give Roddy two for instigating! Boogaard'd

Okay...anyone else notice that the smiley I used says Boogaard(')d?? Cute!

Big Ern
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Did you see the hit? It wasn't from behind.
You don't know Tootoo, you never watched him play junior. Your only mad because the Stars are your favorite team. hmmm wonder if you picked them as your favorite, because Keen talks about how there his team all the time on the radio. Read Fight Guys post he makes sense!

No, I have followed the Dallas Stars for the last ten years, and have a signed picture of Modano at home to prove it. It has nothing to do with Jon Keen. If you don't want to discuss the hit, why are you posting?

And yes, I have been glued to the radio for EVERY SINGLE Bronco game for the past seven and a half years. Sometimes, I hear a better run-down of the game then you have watching at the rink.

Why would you rip me like that?

Flathead
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
No, I have followed the Dallas Stars for the last ten years, and have a signed picture of Modano at home to prove it. It has nothing to do with Jon Keen. If you don't want to discuss the hit, why are you posting?

And yes, I have been glued to the radio for EVERY SINGLE Bronco game for the past seven and a half years. Sometimes, I hear a better run-down of the game then you have watching at the rink.

Why would you rip me like that?
Fight Guy said everything about the hit that I would have said. Tootoo didn't do anything wrong, but protect himself, if Robidas wouldn't have come charging full tilt at Tootoo after the hit none of this would have happened.
Just a little grouchy yesterday, and didn't like the fact that you called all of Tootoo's hits from behind and that he needs to be hit in the head with a brick. What needs to be done is all players should be treated equally( no special all star treatment) and get rid of the instigator rule. Sorry man, and keep cheering loud,(I know you will!!)