PDA

View Full Version : Stoesz had added grit to Pats' lineup

nivek_wahs
03-20-2007, 03:17 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=82d89788-a5d6-4fdf-8cad-74c581b9868c

Stoesz had added grit to Pats' lineup

Murray McCormick, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Myles Stoesz feels like a rookie again.

The veteran enforcer with the Regina Pats is preparing for his first appearance as a player in the Western Hockey League playoffs. Stoesz reached the playoffs as a rookie with the Spokane Chiefs in 2004 but was a healthy scratch for each of the four playoff games. It's unlikely that Stoesz will be among those scratches when the Pats open the post-season in Regina on Friday (7 p.m.) against the Swift Current Broncos.

"It's a different feeling from when I was 16,'' Stoesz, 19, said Monday before the Pats held an off-day conditioning session at the Brandt Centre. "I knew that I was going to be a healthy scratch so I blocked it out. I was used to my season being over March 17. Now I'm still playing and I don't know what to expect. It will be a learning experience for me as well as the 16-year-olds on the team.''

Stoesz, who is in fourth season in the WHL, started the year with the Chilliwack Bruins. He was traded to the Pats on Jan. 10 for prospect Brandon Metz in a deadline deal that provided Regina with the grit and toughness that it needed. The improvement shows up on the standings where the Pats are 19-6-1-3 since Stoesz played his first game on Jan. 13 against the Prince Albert Raiders. The Pats won the contest 2-1.

"I don't take any of the credit because I only have four goals,'' said Stoesz, a leftwinger who had four goals, two assists and 89 penalty minutes in 29 games with the Pats. "I like to think, I've helped and given them more confidence. I take pride in that but it has been a team thing. We've all made the transition.''

Stoesz has helped with the Pats with on-ice demeanor and leadership. He's a proven tough guy who isn't the least bit afraid to take on the league's toughest players. He established that role in first game when he took on Prince Albert's Mike Gauthier just 27 seconds into the contest. Gauthier led the league in penalty minutes this season with 264.

"It was one of those things where I had been travelling a lot,'' said Stoesz, who was second in penalty minutes with a combined 224 with the Bruins and Pats. "I was still shocked over the trade and my head wasn't into it. For me, fighting helps. One punch snapped me out of it and I was back into the game.''

Stoesz also gained from the addition of sports psychologist Ernie Wouters, who was added to the Pats staff in early January. Wouters is the Pats' leadership coach, a similar role to that he had filled with the Medicine Hat Tigers.

"He is another reason why we got on that roll,'' Stoesz said. "He's a nice guy to talk to and I kind of relate him to Dr. Phil. Ernie has a lot of knowledge about life and he's willing to talk to you about anything. He helps you get focused on what it takes to play the game.''

Curtis Hunt, the head coach of the Pats, said Wouters deserves some of the credit for Regina's surge after Christmas.

"He spends time talking with the kids about what do leaders do and it allows us to focus on bigger-picture things,'' Hunt said. "He has been an important part in helping the kids understand what they can and can't control. He helps them put away some of the distractions that tend to happen at this time of year.''

The Pats acquired Stoesz for his ability to distract the opposition with his toughness. Stoesz understands his role but also realizes in the playoffs that may change. Fights are rare in the postseason so Stoesz will look to contribute in other ways.

"I haven't really talked to Curtis about my ice time,'' Stoesz said. "I want to get the puck in deep and make a couple of hits. I want to give the guys some energy and not be a defensive liability. As long as we win, I don't care if I play one shift or 20 shifts.''

Stoesz has also proven to the Pats that he can contribute as an enforcer and a regular on the fourth line.

"I will never ask a guy to fight,'' Hunt said. "Myles knows what he needs to do to play at the next level. All of those things he needs to do at that level, he needs to do here. His line needs to get in on the forecheck, establish a physical presence and be responsible defensively. We expect the same things from Myles that we do from the other players.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007