PDA

View Full Version : Flames to sign Cole

Shortys
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Star Phoenix (http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/features/blades/story.html?id=42fa8115-58cf-49b3-9218-a39f857b15d0)

Flames to sign former Blades captain Cole
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Brad Cole's stay in hockey limbo didn't last long.

The Calgary Flames snapped up the 20-year old defenceman Monday, just two days after he completed his junior career with the Saskatoon Blades.

Cole and the Flames have agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level contract.

"I haven't physically signed anything yet," Cole said Monday afternoon, "but I just got off the phone with (Flames general manager) Darryl (Sutter) and he had a signed contract from my agent." The New York Rangers also offered Cole a contract, but the product of Miniota, Man., settled on Calgary. His good fortune continued Monday night when he carted home four awards -- including team MVP -- from the Blades' year-end banquet at the Odeon Events Centre.

"Two or three years ago, I was playing in Kootenay and getting healthy-scratched," said Cole, "so if someone would have said I would sign an NHL deal at the end of my 20-year-old season, I'd have said they were crazy.

"It's been nice to prove a lot of people wrong." Cole's offensive production surged this season when he registered 41 points, including 16 goals, in 63 games. His leadership was less tangibly measured, but it was certainly his most valuable contribution.

"When we traded for Brad, we knew that he had solid character and he wanted to be a hockey player," said Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken, who acquired Cole from Kootenay in October 2005.

"Over his year and a bit here, he certainly improved. His leadership off the ice was immeasurable. He helped create an environment in the dressing room that was one of togetherness and strong commitment." In addition to being named Blades' MVP, Cole earned top-defenceman honours for a second straight year. He also captured the plus-minus trophy and the Jack McLeod Ambassador Award.

Third-year centre Justin McCrae is likely to inherit the captaincy from Cole and he picked up two awards Monday. He's the Blades' hardest working player for a third straight season and he was also named top defensive forward.

"We're trying to build our organization around kids that are tremendous character players," said Molleken. "We want kids who put their teammates ahead of themselves and kids that have a very strong work ethic and commitment." Graduating winger Ryan Menei earned recognition for his efforts both on and off the ice. He earned the top scorer trophy thanks to his 35 goals and 42 assists in 71 games. The Winnipeg product also picked up the team's community-minded award.

The Blades bestowed top-rookie honours on goaltender Braden Holtby. The 17-year-old native of Marshall compiled a 3.21 goals-against average and an .895 save percentage in a whopping 51 appearances. Holtby also captured the Bud Light Cup for receiving the most three-star selections throughout the season.

Four other rookies also received recognition: Derek Hulak (most gentlemanly), Sam Klassen (Bentley Memorial Scholarship as top scholastic player), Gaelan Patterson (diamond in the rough) and Teigan Zahn (most dedicated).

The Blades pegged Garrett Klotz as their mostimproved player. By season's end, the 6-foot-6 forward had a reputation as a heavy hitter and one of the league's tougher customers.

Centre Colton Gillies was named the Blades' hardest hitter for a second straight year.

Ralph Katzman, a long-time member of the Blades' booster club, received the Murray Lindberg Memorial Award as fan of the year.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

Sabes
03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Congrats to Cole, he sure has come around since coming to the Blades.

howley
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
had to figure that is who he'd sign with since he was at their camp last summer. Good for him.

Blades 4 Life!
03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Good For Brad!. When I was driving home after the last game I was thinking to myself and I could Imagine that he would be playing in the NHL in the next couple years. As Lorne said, "He wanted to play hockey" Gongrades Brad!

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Now all we can hope for is that the Leafs will trade for him(unfortunately) I do think that JFJ has the guts,brains to do something like that.

Anyways I knew that the Flames would eventually sign him,It would be nice if he was playing in the NHL Preseason game this september in Saskatoon,if he was I would be mad,because I don't have tickets. :burningma

Dwight Schrute
03-20-2007, 06:35 PM
congrats to cole. he really has come a long way.

Trav
03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Ever since Brad came to the Blades he's been their best defensemen in my opinion, really liked watching him and he will be big time missed next year. It's been said that he's been the Blades best captain for the last several years. Way to go Brad.

And to think they traded Flatthead for him lol. Best trade by Molleken so far.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
great trade for the blades, I was hoping my leafs would sign him. congrats Cole hope to see you in the show soon
They can still trade for him,and that is what I am still hoping for,but with JFJ I have my doubts about many things he does.

howley
03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
if he's not a mediocre european the leafs won't even look his way.

howley
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
hah, I am a leafs fan to. Sundin and Kaberle are exceptions.

Shortys
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Anyways I knew that the Flames would eventually sign him,It would be nice if he was playing in the NHL Preseason game this september in Saskatoon,if he was I would be mad,because I don't have tickets. :burningma

I think there is a very good chance he will be playing in that game. Even if it is just for that one, he would be pumped to play at the CUC for blades fans again! I believe he played in a couple preseason games last year for them so there should be no reason he doesn't again. punk rock Best of luck to you Brad!

Tidball
03-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Ever since Brad came to the Blades he's been their best defensemen in my opinion, really liked watching him and he will be big time missed next year. It's been said that he's been the Blades best captain for the last several years. Way to go Brad.

And to think they traded Flatthead for him lol. Best trade by Molleken so far.

As soon as Kootenay heard "3rd rounder" they punced. Lorne is a smart man. Id say hes the best captain since Warren Peters. HM to Green though.

Blades 4 Life!
03-21-2007, 12:35 AM
As soon as Kootenay heard "3rd rounder" they punced. Lorne is a smart man. Id say hes the best captain since Warren Peters. HM to Green though.

I Agree... Warren Peters was a great captain. I started watching the Blades the year before he came captain. You can't go wrong with Green either.

Dwight Schrute
03-21-2007, 12:53 AM
screw you Howley.lol...sundin and Kaberle are no where near average
antropov ? ponikorovsky ? aki berg ? these guys arent average

howley
03-21-2007, 01:21 AM
if those guys weren't average the team wouldn't be average (at best)

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I was looking at my WHL hockey card collection,and also looking at Brad Cole's card(both from this season and last)so I pull it out to look at the back and what do I find?? A Brad Cole autographed card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not even know I had it until I looked,wow I feel awesome right now!!!! pbj dancing pi :thumb:

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin/news/comments.cgi?type=newsroom&file_num=0000001314

Flames sign five more junior prospects
2005 draft class brings prospect signings to nine this year

Calgary, AB - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced Tuesday the signing of four prospects from the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and one free agent. Defenseman Matt Pelech (Belleville – OHL, 1st Rd), defensemen Gord Baldwin (Medicine Hat – WHL, 2nd Rd), goaltender Matt Keetley (Medicine Hat – WHL, 5th Rd), forward Brett Sutter (Red Deer – WHL, 6th Rd), and free agent defenseman Brad Cole (Saskatoon – WHL), have all signed entry level contracts with the Calgary Flames.

With Tuesday’s announcement, the Flames have signed seven players drafted at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Forward Daniel Ryder (Plymouth – OHL, 3rd Rd), forward J.D. Watt (Vancouver – WHL, 4th Rd) and goaltender Kevin Lalande (Belleville – OHL, 5th Rd), were all signed earlier this season along with goaltender Leland Irving (Everett – WHL, 1st Rd 2006).

Keetley, Baldwin, Ryder and Watt are currently competing for the 2007 Memorial Cup in Vancouver, BC.

Trav
05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
funny seeing them announce it now after we heard about it right after the Blades were knocked out of the playoffs.