PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs on Shaw

Beaner
03-20-2007, 08:46 PM
from, www.whl.ca

2007 WHL Opening Playoff Series Kootenay Ice vs Calgary Hitmen - LIVE ON SHAW TV
Created: Mar 20, 2007
CALGARY, AB - Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League, announced today that the entire first round series of the 2007 WHL Playoffs between the Central Division rivals Kootenay Ice and the Calgary Hitmen will be televised live on Shaw TV and Star Choice throughout Western Canada. This is the third consecutive year that Shaw has provided live television coverage of the WHL Playoffs.

In addition, Shaw TV will also broadcast live a full series in the WHL Conference Semi-Finals and WHL Conference Final rounds as well as the entire WHL Championship series. Following the conclusion of each round of the WHL Playoffs, the WHL and Shaw TV will announce the next series that will be broadcast.

The first two games of the Kootenay Ice – Calgary Hitmen series will be broadcast live Friday, March 23rd at 7:00 PM MST and Saturday, March 24th from the RecPlex in Cranbrook, B.C. Both games will start at 7:00pm MST.

The following is the schedule for the Kootenay Ice – Calgary Hitmen best of seven opening round series:

Fri. March 23 Calgary @ Kootenay 7:00pm MT
Sat. March 24 Calgary @ Kootenay 7:00pm MT
Wed. March 28 Kootenay @ Calgary 7:00pm MT
Thurs. March 29 Kootenay @ Calgary 7:00pm MT
Sat. March 31 Calgary @ Kootenay 7:00pm MT*
Mon. April 2 Kootenay @ Calgary 7:00pm MT*
Wed. April 4 Calgary @ Kootenay 7:00pm MT*

* - If necessary

The seven other opening round series will also get underway on Friday, March 23 as the WHL Playoff bound Clubs meet their Division rivals. The first round of WHL Playoffs features match-ups based on Division standings with the first place Club meeting the fourth place finisher and the second place Club meeting the third place Club in the Division. The second and third round of WHL Playoffs will feature seeding based on Conference regular season standings.

In addition to the Kootenay – Calgary series, the WHL Eastern Conference first round match-ups will feature Central Division pennant winners Medicine Hat Tigers taking on the Red Deer Rebels while in the East Division the Brandon Wheat Kings take on the Prince Albert Raiders, and the Regina Pats meet the Swift Current Broncos.

In the WHL Western Conference, the regular season champions Everett Silvertips will meet the Spokane Chiefs in the U.S. Division opening round series while the Tri-City Americans take on the Seattle Thunderbirds. In the B.C. Division, defending WHL Champions and Memorial Cup hosts Vancouver Giants will meet WHL expansion team Chilliwack Bruins while the Kamloops Blazers take on their northern rival the Prince George Cougars.

In addition to Shaw’s television coverage, the WHL will broadcast all games live on the Internet and local radio. For more information on WHL WEB TV broadcasts log onto www.whl.ca.

This year’s WHL Champion will advance to the MasterCard Memorial Cup in Vancouver May 18-27, 2007. Should the Vancouver Giants successfully defend their 2006 WHL title and win the win the WHL Championship Series, the WHL Eastern Conference finalist will advance to the Memorial Cup automatically.

Should be quite the series. Good choice by shaw and the Dub.

dj-kris
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
oh sure giants giants giants till my team plays them than its off to the east just my luck

RunTheGoalie
03-20-2007, 10:47 PM
It actually makes logical sense. Shaw will want Calgary and Vancouver more than any other market. Easily the largest markets in the league. Hell, Calgary is 5 times larger than the 3rd biggest Canadian WHL market. Both teams have arenas that are fully media equipped. Production costs are much lower.

However, Vancouver practically has a walk-over to the second round, while Calgary is in for a very, very difficult fight. It makes sense to show Calgary in the first round, becuase there is a much lower probability of there being a second round. I would expect Vancouver's second round matchup to be the second series they show.

dondo
03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
so its not going to be regional?? They won't be showing all the games in the various regions? That doesn't make any sense to me. However that will be a great series to watch.

Anybody know if Sportsnet plans on showing any playoff games?

neutral
04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
However, Vancouver practically has a walk-over to the second round, while Calgary is in for a very, very difficult fight. It makes sense to show Calgary in the first round, becuase there is a much lower probability of there being a second round. I would expect Vancouver's second round matchup to be the second series they show.

After being spoiled with 8 games on Shaw in the first round, it is a tough call on which series would be the most entertaining in round 2. Unless I missed an announcement for round 2, Vancouver may very well get the coverage, but the more exciting series will be Medicine Hat and Regina or either series with Brandon against Kootenay or Calgary.

These match ups made me think about travel. Assuming all series go with a 2-2-1-1-1 format like Everett and PG, here are the travel distances for a 7 game series.

Medicine Hat 1,864 km
Regina 2,796 km

Everett 3,392 km
PG 5,088 km

Vancouver 904 km
Seattle 1,356 km

Kootenay 5,176 km
Brandon 7,774 km
or
Brandon 4,476 km
Calgary 6,714 km

Brandon must be cheering for Calgary.

A 2-2-2-1 format would even up the travel in either Brandon series.

Bran
04-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Brandon would more likely go 2-3-2...isn't that what they did with PA? Doesn't really matter who Brandon plays, it's going to be far. Regina is the closest team and even that is a bit of a trek...

VDubin'Patsfan
04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
After being spoiled with 8 games on Shaw in the first round, it is a tough call on which series would be the most entertaining in round 2. Unless I missed an announcement for round 2, Vancouver may very well get the coverage, but the more exciting series will be Medicine Hat and Regina or either series with Brandon against Kootenay or Calgary.

These match ups made me think about travel. Assuming all series go with a 2-2-1-1-1 format like Everett and PG, here are the travel distances for a 7 game series.

Medicine Hat 1,864 km
Regina 2,796 km

Everett 3,392 km
PG 5,088 km

Vancouver 904 km
Seattle 1,356 km

Kootenay 5,176 km
Brandon 7,774 km
or
Brandon 4,476 km
Calgary 6,714 km

A 2-2-2-1 format would even up the travel in either Brandon series.

A couple of my buds were saying they heard Shaw will pick up the Pats vs Hat games. applause dancing pi I'am keeping my fingers crossed. A couple of trips to the Hat might hurt the pocket book a little.

Golks
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
A couple of my buds were saying they heard Shaw will pick up the Pats vs Hat games. applause dancing pi I'am keeping my fingers crossed. A couple of trips to the Hat might hurt the pocket book a little.

Wow. That woudl be Awesome!

dj-kris
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
kootenay isnt that far from calgary only a couple hours 381km it would be like a trip to the mall after driving all the way from brandon to calgary

Bran
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
WHL site says Vancouver/Seattle...I don't have Access anyway. :(

Golks
04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
WHL site says Vancouver/Seattle...I don't have Access anyway. :(

I just saw that on WHL.ca. BOOOOOOO! :)

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I would be happy if I had Shaw,but don't(I would watch any series on TV)sadly I have Bell Express Vu and yes I know they show the MC,and and I am very frustrated by the lack of WHL games they show. I do not know if I could handle paying for a Bell Express Vu bill and a Shaw basic cable bill,so I am pondering if I should get Shaw??

neutral
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
kootenay isnt that far from calgary only a couple hours 381km it would be like a trip to the mall after driving all the way from brandon to calgary
Perhaps I have this wrong. I thought the series would start in Brandon if Calgary wins and in Kootenay if the Ice win. Either way, a lot of kilometers.

rinkrat
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Kootenay would have home ice over Brandon, therefore that could mean an extra trip west for Brandon.

RunTheGoalie
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Seems it was already released as being otherwise, but showing the Vancouver series makes more sense for two reasons:

1. Shaw has maintained an East-West format for rounds 1 and 2 in the previous two seasons.
2. Vancouver alone will draw more viewers than Medicine Hat and Regina would.

Which is a shame, as the latter series will probably be the more entertaining one.