PDA

View Full Version : Awards Banquet

agent
03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Warrior News
Warriors Hand out the Hardware

The Moose Jaw Warriors, along with title sponsor Saskferco, held the Warriors 2006-07 Year end banquet last night at the Heritage Inn & Convention Centre.

Moose Jaw Warriors Riley Holzapfel and Jason Bast picked up the majority of the hardware. Holzapfel came away with as the tribe’s top scorer and MVP trophy, the Molson Cup Award as well as the Humanitarian Award for his contributions to the community. Moose Jaw Warriors fans deemed Jason Bast the fan favorite this season, while his efforts on the ice and in the classroom did not go unnoticed as he took home the Scholastic Player of the Year Award and the teams Hustle & Desire Award. The complete list of award winners is listed below:
Saskferco Fans Choice Award: #20 Jason Bast

Warriors Top Scorer Award: #21 Riley Holzapfel

Scholastic Player Award: #20 Jason Bast

Humanitarian Award: #21 Riley Holzapfel

Molson Cup Award: #21 Riley Holzapfel

Most Sportsman-like Player Award: #11 Brady Calla

Most Improved Player Award: #16 Brad Riege

Best Defensive Player Award: #27 Cody Thoring

Rookie of the Year Award: #4 Ryan Stanton

Un-Sung Hero Award: #26 Jason Reese

Hustle & Desire Award: #20 Jason Bast

Plus/Minus Award: #26 Jason Reese

M.V.P. Award: #21 Riley Holzapfel

nivek_wahs
03-22-2007, 03:30 AM
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=18252&sc=9

Warriors hand out hardware
Last updated at 10:57 AM on 21/03/07

MATTHEW GOURLIE
The Moose Jaw Times Herald

An extremely difficult season on the ice and off came to a close Tuesday night for the Moose Jaw Warriors.
Through all of the adversity, the Warriors came together as a team over the course of the season. Spirits were good and the mood was light as the team parted ways and celebrated their achievements at the Saskferco Moose Jaw Warriors Year End Banquet.
“It can be summed up as a year of tragedy and change,” said Warriors general manager Chad Lang.
On the ice the Warriors failed to make the playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons. There was a lot of turnover in player personnel in addition to the firing of head coach Steve Young late in the campaign.
That all paled in comparison to the tragic accident and subsequent recovery of Warriors forward Garrett Robinson who suffered a serious head injury in car accident while riding with teammates Joey Perricone and Carter Smith.
“It was a very difficult time for our hockey club, the community of Moose Jaw and the hockey world,” Lang said to the banquet attendees of the Robinson accident. “We want thank you for your thoughts and prayers and words of encouragement helped the team get through this.”
Despite what they’ve been through, the Warriors battled to the end, missed the playoffs by a point and are already looking forward to next season.
“We have a good group of guys returning and we should have a strong team,” said Warriors forward Riley Holzapfel.
“Going into this year we had high expectations and things didn’t start the way we wanted them to. There were trades and a lot of new faces to get used to and we had Garrett’s accident to battle through and then a coaching change. We had a lot to battle through this year and I’m pretty proud of how we were at the end.”
Holzapfel led the Warriors with 39 goals and 43 assists. He was understandably the big winner Tuesday earning Most Valuable Player honours, the Molson Cup Award for most game star points, the Top Scorer Award and the Humanitarian Award.
“Coming into the year I wanted to take more of a leadership role,” said Holzapfel. “We lost a lot of older guys and I wanted to step and try to improve on my total from last year. The guys I played with helped a lot.”
Jason Bast won a trio of awards including the inaugural Saskferco Fans’ Choice Award which was decided based on fan balloting.
Bast was also won the Scholastic Achievement Award and the Dr. Wayne Stanley Hustle and Desire Award. Jason Reese was another multiple award winner claiming the Plus Minus Award and the Unsung Hero Award.
Other winners included Brady Calla (Most Sportsmanlike), Brad Riege (Most Improved), Cody Thoring (Best Defenceman) and Ryan Stanton (Rookie of the Year). The Warriors also had a special presentation for their 20-year-olds Thoring, Matt Isbister and captain Steven Gillen.
“I want to thank the fans,” said Gillen in his address on behalf of the players.
“They make the Crushed Can a hard place for other teams to play. They always motivate us when we go on the ice. They stuck by us this year and even in that last game there was a great atmosphere.”