PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Matt Robertson

Sabes
03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
For being nominated for WHL rookie of the Year. He's up against Kyle Beach of Everett.

Dwight Schrute
03-21-2007, 07:28 PM
For being nominated for WHL rookie of the Year. He's up against Kyle Beach of Everett.
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=6579

its a tough call but i hope beach's reputation hurts him and robertson wins
congrats

Zookeeper
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Matt sure knows how to find the puck when he is around the net. He also has an accurate shot too. He also missed a few free bees which he should of scored plus the one he scored in Brandon which was called off because the puck entered the net after the whistle. I think he has a great chance of winning this.

Knuckle Chucker
03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
I hate to think where the Raiders would be without Matt this year. Matt for Rookie of the Year :thumb:

Zookeeper
03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I hate to think where the Raiders would be without Matt this year. Matt for Rookie of the Year :thumb:

That is sure true, I think without him and also Deckert, the Raiders would of finished last.

Dwight Schrute
03-21-2007, 11:53 PM
out of the 199 goals the raiders scored matt accounted for roughly 19% of the goals applause

Knuckle Chucker
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
out of the 199 goals the raiders scored matt accounted for roughly 19% of the goals applause

He is a strong contender for team MVP.........as a rookie!!!!!!

Tidball
03-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Dont get me wrong, i think Matt Robertson is awesome and congrats for the nominee. But i dont like an 18 yr old getting rookie of the year. IMO 17 should be the oldest.

Fight Guy
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Robertson ended the season with 37 goals and 27 assists for 64 points in 69 games as an 18/19 year old.

Eberle ended the season with 28 goals and 27 assists for 55 points in 66 games as a 16 year old. Not to mention playing in the Canada Winter Games...which if he had not gone, would have put up more points yet.

Not saying this a Pats fan, but saying it as someone who thinks it's stupid to consider a 19 year old a rookie. I feel it should be Eberle going up against Beach.

Knuckle Chucker
03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Robertson ended the season with 37 goals and 27 assists for 64 points in 69 games as an 18/19 year old.

Eberle ended the season with 28 goals and 27 assists for 55 points in 66 games as a 16 year old. Not to mention playing in the Canada Winter Games...which if he had not gone, would have put up more points yet.

Not saying this a Pats fan, but saying it as someone who thinks it's stupid to consider a 19 year old a rookie. I feel it should be Eberle going up against Beach.

He is 18

Tidball
03-22-2007, 11:45 PM

Highly agree. Nothing against Robertson as i am a fan of his. But Eberle should really be the nominee. That kid is money and he will kick but next season, the season after that, and the season after that, al in the WHL

Fight Guy
03-23-2007, 12:27 AM
He is 18
He turned 19 on Feb, 2nd.

Knuckle Chucker
03-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying Eberle isn't good but they are both rookies to the WHL and Matt had a better season. As a result, he deserves (and is) the rookie of the year (for the East). In fact, Matt should be MVP of the Raiders. I am not sure you can say the same thing about Eberle.

Five Hole
03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Just wondering, is there any official wording in the Rookie of the Year award criteria that specifies how 'old' a player can be to be nominated ?

I guess if there wasn't, and depending on the other criteria, such as the overall importance of total points, then there's a few other guys who might have been considered... Matt was 6th in rookie scoring; Beach was 7th; and Eberle was 9th...

whoever does the voting I guess thought Matt was the best candidate from the East, all factors considered.... good choice, I hope he gets it :thumb:

He wouldn't be the first guy who turned 19 before he received the trophy...Hossa was one a bunch of years ago...

Bran
03-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Where has he been for the last 2 years??? hockeydb says he played 1 game in the SJHL in 04/05, then nothing until joining the Raiders this year...

Edit: Nevermind...this kid played midget till he was 18???

Fight Guy
03-23-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm not saying Eberle isn't good but they are both rookies to the WHL and Matt had a better season. As a result, he deserves (and is) the rookie of the year (for the East). In fact, Matt should be MVP of the Raiders. I am not sure you can say the same thing about Eberle.
No...we can't...but that's because he's on a better team than the Raiders with A LOT of players contributing to their success. And plus, he is 16! And true...they are both rookie to the WHL, but the fact that Eberle as a 16 year old would have/or come close to accomplishing the same feet as Robertson had he not missed the games he did. I really do think age should be considered when looking at rookies. I will never agree with this decision. Either way though...congrats to Matt.

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2007, 04:43 PM
he is the team mvp..might as well announce it now
i dunno i think i might give mvp to jeff may

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Then they are making a mistake
well i think by far he has been the best d-man for the raiders, wears a letter plays at least 30 min a night. played all 72 games, plays through injuries, while robertson is flashier and bringa a lot to the table i think losing may would hurt even more

Knuckle Chucker
03-23-2007, 09:39 PM
well i think by far he has been the best d-man for the raiders, wears a letter plays at least 30 min a night. played all 72 games, plays through injuries, while robertson is flashier and bringa a lot to the table i think losing may would hurt even more

No way. You take away those 37 goals and the Raiders don't make the playoffs

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2007, 11:59 PM
No way. You take away those 37 goals and the Raiders don't make the playoffs
true but take away jeff may's ice time and replace it with... cole simpson or a combo of malone/palazzo. do the raiders give up 37 more goals ? probably and more. probably give up another 60+

Bran
03-24-2007, 12:37 AM
true but take away jeff may's ice time and replace it with... cole simpson or a combo of malone/palazzo. do the raiders give up 37 more goals ? probably and more. probably give up another 60+
And without Deckert how many more goals do they give up? Don't get me wrong, Aime is a good goalie and has tons of potential...but do you guys remember where you were without Deckert? I can't see how anyone on that team deserves MVP more than him...

Dwight Schrute
03-24-2007, 12:58 AM
And without Deckert how many more goals do they give up? Don't get me wrong, Aime is a good goalie and has tons of potential...but do you guys remember where you were without Deckert? I can't see how anyone on that team deserves MVP more than him...
its pretty easy, deckert is inconsistant. and when he is off his game it shows. he didnt really play well at all during the last 6-7 weeks of the regular season(during the losing skid) and as far as where we were without deckert... well the team itself played like crap its not like anyone could have done a great job in net. but just before deckert returned things got better. there are several players more deserving of mvp then deckert

Bran
03-24-2007, 02:16 AM
its pretty easy, deckert is inconsistant. and when he is off his game it shows. he didnt really play well at all during the last 6-7 weeks of the regular season(during the losing skid) and as far as where we were without deckert... well the team itself played like crap its not like anyone could have done a great job in net. but just before deckert returned things got better. there are several players more deserving of mvp then deckert
You're probably right...I'm an outsider, I just call it as I see it. Plus, I'm a little bit partial to Deckert...

Sabes
03-24-2007, 12:37 PM

May is inconsistant aswell. It's the little mistakes he makes. Honestly I think Gauthier is our best d-man. May at times can be great but sometimes he can be a little Simpson-esque out there with stupid passes, non-coverage, laying down to block the pass which worked like 2 times this year. Sure he puts up a ton of points and plays a lot, but if you watch closely he does make some bad decisions.

Dwight Schrute
03-24-2007, 03:33 PM
May is inconsistant aswell. It's the little mistakes he makes. Honestly I think Gauthier is our best d-man. May at times can be great but sometimes he can be a little Simpson-esque out there with stupid passes, non-coverage, laying down to block the pass which worked like 2 times this year. Sure he puts up a ton of points and plays a lot, but if you watch closely he does make some bad decisions.
when i've noticed him making mistakes is usually after he has played an incredible amount (usually extended time on the pk due to gauthier or others being in the box). but its usually when he tries to do too much, to overcompensate for his partner. also the points that he puts up arent a big factor in my sayin he's their best d-man

Knuckle Chucker
03-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Great Post. Gauthier (I am biased ;) ) is our best D-man and is consistant but not flashy like May. May has a good offensive upside but until he shakes the need to make 90mph bomb passes he will not be our best d-man or MVP. 60+ goals without him is a huge overstatement/ Even 37+ is way too high IMO.

Knuckle Chucker
03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Have you noticed him yelling and screaming at his teammates while Gauthier is fighting for them?

May acts like he is shot every time he blocks a shot :laugh: . Don't get me wrong. I like May and he is very good. However Mike is more consistant, he stands up for his team with his fists, and he is an excellent leader. i.e. you will rarely see him yelling at his own players in public.

Dwight Schrute
03-24-2007, 03:57 PM
May acts like he is shot every time he blocks a shot :laugh: . Don't get me wrong. I like May and he is very good. However Mike is more consistant, he stands up for his team with his fists, and he is an excellent leader. i.e. you will rarely see him yelling at his own players in public.
beauchemin, chipper, schlenker all were pretty vocal on the ice, while colliton, young, shafer werent. stevie y didnt have to do much talkin yet messier did. both were great captains

raider guy
03-24-2007, 05:33 PM
jeff may was our best defenceman this year, and i love the comment about jeff may going down like hes shot all the time haha so true, but anyways next year, tendler will run the back end and he will be one of the top in the whl. this years mvp will go to deckert

patsrock83
03-24-2007, 05:40 PM
If eberle was 18 and a rookie would have 90 points!!!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-24-2007, 05:42 PM
If Mcdonald played for PA for the whole season, does anybody think they would consider him to be MVP? He seems to be having alot of success in PA.

He put up better numbers in half a season with you guys than 3 seasons with the pats. :laugh:

If eberle was 18 he would have 90 points!!!

I am willing to bet he will be 100+ point scorer when he is 18. Keep in mind that is 2 seasons from now.

Knuckle Chucker
03-24-2007, 09:31 PM
If eberle was 18 and a rookie would have 90 points!!!

If "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts you would have a merry Christmas