PDA

View Full Version : Blades' Gillies will miss '07 season-opener

nivek_wahs
03-22-2007, 02:59 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=d83ff82d-3f77-4816-acd3-f40ccb5cba70

Blades' Gillies will miss '07 season-opener

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2007
A suspension will keep centre Colton Gillies out of the Saskatoon Blades' season-opener next fall, but the punishment shouldn't affect his eligibility for next month's under-18 world championship.

The Western Hockey League had suspended Gillies indefinitely as a result of his major penalty for checking from behind last Friday in Prince Albert. On Wednesday, WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen finalized the suspension at two games.

Gillies has already served one game, last Saturday's regular-season finale. The suspension carries over because the Blades did not qualify for playoffs.

"It certainly warranted the major penalty," Doerksen said of Gillies' third-period hit on Raiders forward Mike Hellyer. "The correct call was definitely made on the play. To be honest, we've been checking on the status of Mike Hellyer. He was able to complete a full practice (Wednesday) and it appears that he'll be ready to go for their playoff series starting Friday (in Brandon)."

Gillies is a likely candidate to represent Canada at the under-18 world championship, which runs April 11-22 in Finland. The 6-foot-4 centre helped Canada win gold at last summer's Junior World Cup in the Czech Republic.

"This is strictly a Western Hockey League situation," Doerksen said of the suspension. "We don't anticipate that having any bearing (on the under-18 world championship)."

The Blades will also start the season without 6-foot-6 winger Garrett Klotz. He was dismissed from last Saturday's game after an exchange of words with a Prince Albert player. An accumulation of three game misconducts carries an automatic suspension. Thus, Klotz will sit out Saskatoon's first exhibition game as well as the first regular-season game.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

howley
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
So Klotzy sits out the first exhibition game, then plays all the rest, then sits another game to start the season. That is assuming he is back

Shortys
03-22-2007, 01:45 PM
So would Gillies be out the first exibition game as well, play the rest, and then also sit out the season opener, just like Klotz? This is assuming that Molleken plays Gillies for the exibition games. Kind of whacked if you ask me. Its kinda like being suspended for a game, and not allowed by the whl to practice for one practice.

Tidball
03-22-2007, 04:01 PM
So would Gillies be out the first exibition game as well, play the rest, and then also sit out the season opener, just like Klotz? This is assuming that Molleken plays Gillies for the exibition games. Kind of whacked if you ask me. Its kinda like being suspended for a game, and not allowed by the whl to practice for one practice.

Gillies will for surely be at an NHL camp during the exhibition games.

Shortys
03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Gillies will for surely be at an NHL camp during the exhibition games.

Ah yes, I completely forgot about that! You are right.

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2007, 04:59 PM
gillies couldnt have played the last game even if he wanted cause he hurt himself with his hit from behind. imo that game shouldnt have counted, but i agree it is silly for klotz to play in the ex games then sit

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I think they are good players but need to clean up their act(specifically Klotz,for his gross misconducts that he received) With Gillies this is kinda a tough one because I don't want to say to much because I will most likely get heat no matter what I say,so here goes.

First of all take into consideration that Gillies is 6'4 and still growing,secondly he does throw hit directly from behind,and the other thing is that the player may/may not see him coming and some of the guys that do see him coming turn their back so it is a hit from behind and the other half of it is Gillies fault for hitting them when he shouldn't.

Anyways as I have said I really hope he changes his ways because if this continues it will most likely hurt his position in the NHL Draft,and the way scouts,NHL teams/General Managers see him as a hockey player.

ProStaff
03-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Is there a video clip on this hit? I would like to see it if someone has it! but to say that you have lost alot of respect for Gillies because of that hit is dumb! more and more players are starting to turn at the last second to force a penalty and that is stupid, someone is going to get killed by doing that! Be a man and take the hit! Have you lost respect for Gauthier? He has more penalties for hitting from behind then any other player.

Dwight Schrute
03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
gauthier will let off when someone turns their back. gauthier in 4 seasons has half the hit from behind calls gillies does in 2. gauthier picked up the majority of his pim in fights in the first half.
in some cases what are they supposed to do ? not turn their back and go for the puck ? i
its the player who is attempting to make the hit who is resposible not to do it from behind, and to let up or not make contact. and there are a few guys around these days that try to draw penalties by turning. its part of a lack of respect for themselves the game and other players.
perhaps sabes can find a clip (he's pretty good at knowing where that stuff would be)so should gauthier be playing pro next year who is gonna be the big bad raider whose name is thrown out everytime gillies and hitting from behind is mentioned.

lets hope colton gillies can turn this situation around before he ends up like ryan hollweg or jordin tootoo

SectionNDeserter
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
lets hope colton gillies can turn this situation around before he ends up like ryan hollweg or jordin tootooYeah, I am sure he would hate to be making 6 figures in the show....

Dwight Schrute
03-26-2007, 06:25 PM
You got no clue prostaff, you just start arguing without knowing anything about the hit. Gilles was chasing Hellyer and the puck was in front of Hellyer, nobody turned or anything they were skating in a straight line to the end boards andwhen they got there Gilles hit hellyer as hard as he could straight from the back
his clue was from the star phoenix article where mollekin defended him by saying its all guy turning trying to draw a penalty.

howley
03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
did he say hellyer turned or that guys have a habit of turning when Gillies is coming? I don't remember right off.

Dwight Schrute
03-27-2007, 01:43 AM
did he say hellyer turned or that guys have a habit of turning when Gillies is coming? I don't remember right off.
he said that in this particular instance he didnt see the play and hadnt watched any tape yet. then went on to say that guys have a bad habit of turning...still if a guy turns you cant try to put him through the glass head first

Dwight Schrute
03-27-2007, 01:49 AM
One of the biggest problems in minor hockey is these kids are being taught to turn away from hits because then they cant be hit , I miss the old days when players saw the hit comming and took it.
well put. a lot of this stuff with the head shots, high sticking, dangerous hits, didnt occur in old days, wear the term "brace for a hit" meant something. if players actually had to answer for their actions there wouldnt be any of this junk. and a lot of it is thanks to a trickle down effect from the NHL. ever since gary bettman came is the game began to degrade to all time lows and gets worse each year. get a hockey guy to run the league not a b-ball guy

RebelsFan
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
This has changed this year as well without anyone being able to obstruct a player as he goes in full tilt to hit someone on the end boards. In the old days someone could give him a little hook from behind to slow him down a bit. With the new rules, checkers are getting a full run at the player ahead of them.

howley
03-27-2007, 08:14 AM
very good point rebelsfan. Not that I think the hooking and grabbing should go back to the way it was. I think taking out the instigator also solves the problem as guys all of a sudden have some accountability again. Of course Gillies was going to get his ass handed to him after the Hellyer hit if he he hadn't of injured himself.

Take out the instigator!!

Imagine if they went the other way and took out fighting all together. Rinks would have to start stock piling stretchers in the back.

ProStaff
03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
One of the biggest problems in minor hockey is these kids are being taught to turn away from hits because then they cant be hit , I miss the old days when players saw the hit comming and took it.

Raiderfan17 that is what I said, yet you still say, I have no clue what I am talking about! Are you sure you are not Pepper Carrot in a Moderator uniform? and your buddy Danaroma agree's with you yet I said the same thing as you but because I am a blads fan I get bashed every post I do, I would like to see the hit from behind, does anyone have the clip? but lets get real here Gillies, Gauthier it doesn't matter alot of players are wimps and don't want to get hit by thses guy's and turn at the last second,. You try stopping when you are skating full speed, not that easy to do.

howley
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I would of been considered average size with far above average speed when I played. Because of my size I did not have to deal with guys turning on me but the few times it did happen, I just through my arms around them and carried them into the boards with a bear hug. If you can't get on the breaks at least you can save their necks and yourself a game misconduct. These days you'd get called for holding but better than 4 mins, 5 mins, game misconducts, suspensions and possibly careers.

I learned the bear hug trick from an opposing captain who caught me from behind and bear hugged me back to my feet as I was about to have my face rearranged. Now...obviously the dub is a much faster game and when you have the speed of Gillies or the size of Gillies and Gauthier it makes those split second decisions a lot tougher. I think if Gillies (and Gauthier) continue their hitting ways they'll learn to become pretty good fighters once they graduate from the dub. Gauthier already is.

Also I just want to go out on a limb here and say Gillies plays atleast 1 regular season NHL game next year. Begin criticism now...

westbeach55
03-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Raiderfan17 that is what I said, yet you still say, I have no clue what I am talking about! Are you sure you are not Pepper Carrot in a Moderator uniform? and your buddy Danaroma agree's with you yet I said the same thing as you but because I am a blads fan I get bashed every post I do, I would like to see the hit from behind, does anyone have the clip? but lets get real here Gillies, Gauthier it doesn't matter alot of players are wimps and don't want to get hit by thses guy's and turn at the last second,. You try stopping when you are skating full speed, not that easy to do.

when are you a wimp when you get ran from behind, yeah i can agree that some players turn, but in no way did hellyer turn on this blatant hit from behind there is no arguing you say you "try stopping when you are skating full speed" don't stop turn. You don't need to run a guy from behind there is no excuse. I have to agree with danno and raiderfan17

agent
03-27-2007, 04:09 PM
only minutes into the game at the Canada vs Russia Challenge. Boogaard'd
http://www.leaguestat.com/chl/canrus/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=41

He didn't seem to play much after that. nhl

Watch and see what happens to him at the U18 in April now that he has a name for himself World Wide. LOL haha

Anyone want to take a shot in the dark and guess? :)

howley
03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
absolutely nothing.

Shortys
03-27-2007, 05:32 PM
absolutely nothing.

LOL!! yeah, I am gonna guess absolutely nothing as well. What do we win??