03-22-2007, 03:34 AM
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=18301&sc=9

Last updated at 6:03 PM on 21/03/07
Warriors exploring options on head coaching front

MATTHEW GOURLIE
The Moose Jaw Times-Herald

Matthew Gourlie
Moose Jaw Times-Herald

Rene Lemire’s summer plans include getting married and having hip surgery.
What he doesn’t know is if the Moose Jaw Warriors’ future plans will include him.
Lemire posted a 9-11 record as Warriors head coach since taking over from Steve Young who was fired on Feb. 7. The Warriors finished a point out of the playoffs with a 28-41-3-0 record.
“I have no idea where I stand,” said Lemire.
He does know that he will meet with general manager Chad Lang Monday. However, Lemire isn’t the only coach that will sitting down with Lang in the coming weeks and months.
“The process will start Monday,” said Lang. “I will have an opportunity to sit down and have year-end review with Rene and get a feel for what his intentions are moving forward and see how he felt the remaining 20 games went. From there I think in fairness to the process there will be guys applying for the job and there have been a number of guys applying already.
“I will go through some applications and I’m sure that I will sit down and do some one-on-one interviews with some potential guys and move forward from there.”
While the Warriors’ head coaching position is effectively vacant, Lang acknowledges that Lemire’s experience in the job, in the organization and with the players is a definite factor in his favour.
“Rene is a part of this organization and we’re going to give him every opportunity,” said Lang. “But in fairness to our organization we’re going to do our due diligence and explore all of our options to make sure we have the right guy in the position.”
Lemire joined the Warriors in the 2004-05 season when Young, then the assistant himself, took over for Parry Shockey mid-season.
When Lemire followed as a late-season replacement he tried to implement his systems and work on correcting areas he saw of deficiencies.
“It’s not easy taking a team with 20 games left in the season,” said Lemire. “I did the best I could and if that wasn’t good enough — I’ll still feel good about it.
“After talking to the players one-on-one Monday I got some good personal feedback. If they’re b.s.ing me they’re doing a good job of it. I got some great feedback from the players and that’s what matters the most. They liked the changes I had made, they liked the direction the club was going. That tone — and that was 23 guys — that was not the same tone that was there when I took over.”
The goal when Lemire took the reigns was to make the playoffs. While he fell shy of that mark, Lang credited Lemire for the way the team performed down the stretch.
“I thought Rene did a very good job given he was put in a not very good situation being 10 points out of the playoffs with 20 games left,” said Lang. “He implemented his systems and put his spin on the club and since he only had a month and a half I thought he did a good job. I thought the players responded pretty well under him.”
That still may not be enough for him to become head coach on a full-time basis. Lang doesn’t expect to make a decision or announce a new coach until after the Memorial Cup.
“There are still guys who are battling in the playoffs with their teams and are under contract and those are often the guys you want to be in discussion with,” said Lang. “I think we’ll have a decision by June.”

nivek_wahs
03-29-2007, 03:34 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=3a176c5e-f358-4edb-bc4b-52eb25831525

The Moose Jaw Warriors aren't committing to Rene Lemire as their head coach for next season, but they're not ruling him out, either.

"I will be exploring options," Warriors GM Chad Lang told the Brandon Sun. "I really liked what he did in the 20 games, but I think in fairness to the organization, we've got all summer now and you have to make sure you have the right pieces of the puzzle. Rene is going to be given every opportunity and right now he is probably the front-runner ... but there's no doubt there's some guys we want to pursue and just see where their interest level is at."

Lemire posted a 9-11 record as interim head coach after the firing of Steve Young. The Warriors missed the playoffs, finishing just one point back of the Prince Albert Raiders.

Moose Jaw has gone through six head coach in the past seven seasons.

Believer
04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
The warriors should look no further then down the #1 highway. Rumor is that assistant coach of the Broncos, Dave Hunchak is up for renewal. If they bring Chynoweth back as head coach, Hunchak is a perfect choice to rebuild the Warriors and put them back on top.

agent
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I have heard of 2 well known NHL coaches who have spend a few days in Moose Jaw over the past 2 weeks for some reason. LOL . I wonder why. ;)

Believer
04-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Most likely checking out the status of being able to move the Warriors to a bigger centre. What is up with the new rink anyway?? when do they break ground !!