PDA

View Full Version : Proud Pat

nivek_wahs
03-23-2007, 03:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=f214537e-20e1-4204-a059-afe547ac24a7

Proud Pat: 'I've had the most fun of my life playing in Regina'

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, March 23, 2007

Kyle Ross is a proud carrier of the Regina Pats' bloodline.

The colours of the WHL franchise have been coursing through his veins since long before he was adopted into the family. Its a unique lineage which can be traced back to the 1995-96 season, when the Regina native was first introduced to stars like Josh Holden, Derek Morris, Kyle Calder and Brad Stuart.

Ross's family tree continued to branch out over the years, expanding to include the likes of Barret Jackman, Brett Lysak and Garth Murray. However, Ross's connection to his idols goes beyond the fact that he grew up watching them.

He actually grew up among them.

"I played hockey with (head coach) Rich Preston's son," explained Ross, a mere pup of nine years at the time. "We'd go in the dressing room with Holden and Josh Dobbyn and Rhett Gordon -- all those guys. Then I was at the Memorial Cup (in 2001) when Jackman and Murray and Blake Evans and all those guys were here. It's kind of neat now to train with Garth in the summer. I'm working out beside him even though when I was little I was in the stands watching him. It's pretty cool."

Murray, a fellow Regina native who now toils for the Montreal Canadiens, helped plant the seeds for a generation of aspiring Pats' offspring. Ross is a direct descendant of that era who has dutifully accepted the torch -- and the adulation that goes with it.

It's a surreal role reversal for the 20-year-old centre, who's all too aware that his time of influence with the Pats has reached its apex.

"I feel old," he said with a laugh while preparing for tonight's playoff opener against the Swift Current Broncos. "I'll be able to look back in later years and appreciate my time here. It was nice to be able to come here young and finish here as well. It has been a great experience. I've had the most fun of my life playing in Regina."

For Pats GM Brent Parker, it seems like yesterday that he finessed a trade with Red Deer Rebels boss Brent Sutter to bring home a raw 17-year-old kid who, at the time, was noticeably lacking in confidence.

Now, three years later, he's regarded as a franchise patriarch -- a player whose skill, character and work ethic have made him a respected leader in the dressing room and in the community.

"First and foremost, Kyle is just a tremendous young man," offered Parker. "He's going to have many successes in life, in hockey or otherwise, because of the type of person he is. I remember a conversation that was relayed to me about how Kyle had thanked Brent for the opportunity (in Red Deer) and saying he enjoyed being a Rebel, but it was going to be pretty special to put that Pats jersey on. When you hear those kinds of things, you realize how much it means to him. It's exciting for all of us to have watched him grow as a person and as a player."

Ross's first two seasons in Regina were a growing experience, to say the least. The team was mired in a downward spiral following its run at the 2001 Memorial Cup, with the lowest point coming four years later during a 12-win disaster.

Slowly but surely, the club was rebuilt on a foundation that included Ross, Kyle Deck, Logan Pyett and Craig Schira. The result was a surprising 40-win season in 2005-06 and the continued maturation of a group that's now poised for its long-awaited playoff payoff.

It remains to be seen whether this storybook tale has a happy ending, but either way Ross is convinced the journey was worth the effort. Despite the added pressures of playing in his hometown, he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I really wouldn't," he said. "I think the positives outweigh the negatives. There are so many good things about playing in your hometown. Even with the ups and downs, it's nice to be in Regina."

In Parker's mind, the Pats couldn't ask for a better ambassador.

"It's exciting to have a guy like that out there representing you and being in the community, knowing that wherever you send him you're going to get a positive response back," said the GM. "It has been really good for a guy like Jordan Eberle, another Regina kid. He has kind of taken the torch now in terms of being the (new) local guy. He watched Kyle growing up. Now he's here as Kyle winds his career down. You know (Ross) has had a positive effect on a guy like Jordan -- a positive effect on everybody."

While the Pats expect to reap the benefits for years to come, a more immediate payoff is awaiting Ross. He has received legitimate inquires from several NHL clubs, which means he may end up putting university off for a while to pursue a pro career.

"If I got an opportunity, that's something I'd really like to exercise," said Ross, who was named Regina's MVP this season after a 20-goal, 68-point campaign.

"He has enough teams interested in him that he'll get some opportunities when his time here is done," added Parker. "He has worked hard. I think people recognize the type of person he is, to go along with his abilities. He deserves any opportunity he gets."

That said, Ross's immediate focus is on concluding some unfinished business with the Pats. As a parting gift to his favourite team, he'd love nothing better than to help satisfy the craving for playoff success.

"We haven't been out of the first round for so long," said Ross, who was 11 when Holden guided Regina to its previous second-round showing in 1998. "It would be nice to give the friends and family some more hockey to watch this spring. We're not looking too far ahead, but it would be the icing on the cake, that's for sure."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007