PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 Goes To The Pats

nivek_wahs
03-24-2007, 02:45 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

Saturday, March 24, 2007
Game 1 Goes To The Pats

It was, by most everyone's accounts, domination by the Regina Pats in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference Quarterback series against the Swift Current Broncos.

Last night in Regina a respectable crowd of 5,225 showed up to watch Regina shutout the Horsemen 4-0 to grab a 1-0 series lead in the best-of-7. Kaspars Saulities scored the game-winning goal 5:00 into the first period, and a three-goal second frame shut out the lights for Swift Current. Michael MacAngus (pp), Jared Jagow and Garret Festerling scored in the middle period and the team protected its 4-0 lead through the third.

Lack of playoff experience for Pats' goalie Linden Rowat? Pshaw. He had a 23-save shutout in his first career postseason start, while 20-year old Kyle Moir faced 30 Pats' shots at the other end. Regina was 1/7 on the pp and 5/5 killing penalties.

"Really that's what we wanted," explained Pats' assistant coach Terry Perkins on CKRM's postgame show, "It was a complete game, as evidenced by the shutout and our attention to defense but also we were perfect killing penalties. We had a good start, and played physical all night which might've been the difference. As for the rough stuff in the third period, well, I didn't see any of their big guys going after our big guys. A guy like (R.J.) Larochelle is about a foot taller and has 20 more pounds than Kirt Hill but he still went after him late. As the series goes on, our big guys will find their's and it'll be settled. It should be good on Saturday, but we have to remember this was just one game and we have to be equally as focused or moreso in Game 2."

When I walked into the dressing room last night around 5:45pm to tape the pregame interview with Regina coach Curtis Hunt, I was struck by how relaxed, upbeat and confident the Pats were. In years past, I'd walk in there and it would be stone silent and guys would be sitting in their stalls staring at the floor with a blank look. Not this time. The fellas were prancing around in their underwear, wrestling, and the music was blaring. Just another day at the office.

"That's exactly what you want and I give the older guys in the room credit for that because at this time of the year they dictate the mood of the team," said Hunt, "They've done a good job of telling and showing the younger players what it's all about and how you need to act at playoff time. The young guys take their lead from vets, and they've done a superb job as leaders."

That's my recap ...