PDA

View Full Version : The Third Party

nivek_wahs
03-27-2007, 01:10 AM
www.rodpedersen.blogspot.com

Monday, March 26, 2007
The Third Party

Discussion Point: The media's role in the playoffs.

Today is another day off in the Regina/Swift Current first round WHL playoff series, but it'll heat up tomorrow with Game 3 in Speedy Creek, and Game 4 there Wednesday.

It's taken a little longer than we'd hoped, but Regina's buzzing with talk of this series. And the way Game 2 ended Saturday night, there's plenty to chat about. Pats' goalie Linden Rowat misplayed the puck 1:07 into OT and the Broncos' Kyle Bortis banged it home for the winner tying the affair at 1-1. What does it mean when Swift Current says they stole home-ice advantage? It means this series is now a best-of-5 with three of those games in Swift Current.

How is the media wrapped up in this? Well Broncos' broadcaster Jon Keen wrote on his blog the Leader Post's coverage of Friday's 4-0 Pats' victory in Game 1 'one-sided' just like the game itself, and that parade routes were being planned by L-P writers. It's fact that the Bronco coaching staff had those L-P stories taped up in their dressing room prior to Saturday night's Game 2. Afterwards, Bronco captain Myles Rumsey could be heard saying 'where's Rob Vanstone now?' If Rumsey had peeked outside the room, he would've seen R-V interviewing Bortis. But I digress.

Vanstone has latched onto the Pats' possibly over-the-top celebration of Friday's victory, noting the banging-of-the-sticks on the ice in front of the Broncos' bench led by tough guy Myles Stoesz. Swift Current's Levi Nelson noted in Vanstone's column today that showing by the Pats added fuel to their fire going into Game 2.

Global's Dan Plaster commented on last night's 6:00 sportscast that the giveaway in OT Saturday may have changed the flow of the series. Who knows if it did? But if the Pats were watching, will that comment get inside their psyche?

It's pretty easy to block out the media hype, at least in the WHL. I didn't read a lot of the stories last week, and the only radio coverage I heard was my own. As for the supper newscasts, forget it. I was busy.

Just a short diversion here -- but it reminds me of Gainer-Gate in advance of the Stampeders/Roughriders playoff game last November. I had my hands slapped for instigating the whole thing when Terry 'Gainer' Ennis told me the Stamps had barred him from McMahon Stadium and I promptly wrote it on my blog. Next thing you know the whole COUNTRY went crazy with it and it was on all the sports and news networks, in every paper and COMPLETELY diverted the attention from the series. Stamps' GM Jim Barker told me himself he thought it was great, but others didn't think so. As it turns out, the Riders won the game and The Rider Store moved 6,000 pieces of Gainer merchandise generating tens of thousands of dollars profit and bygones are now bygones.

But honestly, how could the Gainer thing get in the heads of the players?? I know some thought it might, and would affect the outcome of the game. Craziness.

Rob Vanstone wrote me yesterday saying that at age 43, he registered his first WHL assist by helping motivate the Broncos. That was tongue-in-cheek of course, but maybe now he can write something to rile up the Pats and they can take Game 3.

C'mon. Does the media have that big of an influence? Post a comment and let me know, or email me directly at sportsline@harvardbroadcasting.com
I suppose it's human nature for a coach to use a writer's words to motivate his team ... 'THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ABOUT YOU!', I could see someone saying, holding up the article in the middle of the room. But as Don Mathews always said, if it takes a comment from the media or from the other team to fire you up, then you're cheating him every other game. I agree.

CKRM morning man Willy Cole says Saturday night's outcome was the BEST thing that could've happened to the Pats. Clearly they got cocky after Friday's dominant performance and needed a reminder that they need to keep the pedal to the medal. The same thing happened to his former team, the Selkirk Steelers, in the MJHL playoffs and they responded by not losing another game in the series and are still alive this year.

What's great is that opinions on this Pats/Broncos series are like belly-buttons. Everyone has one now. Willy's sidekick Jamie Lewis overheard a couple of people talking about the OT goal on Sunday and asked me just how it went in. FINALLY! It's on the street.

We'll look closer at the series tonight on Sportsline at 6:05 at the Giant Percival Ford Lincoln with Hadesbeck and Lynch. Coach Curtis Hunt will be offered an invitation and I've already chatted with Keen about coming on. Those two had an earlier set-to on Friday, which has thankfully been patched over.

I'm also going to extend an invite to Roughrider President Jim Hopson to come on the show at the bottom of the hour tonight and join us for the second half.

Have a GREAT Monday..