PDA

View Full Version : Special team wasn't

nivek_wahs
03-27-2007, 03:24 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=6c229316-fd07-43eb-8982-d808617e3b56&k=48315

Special team wasn't

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Since it's often true that specialty teams are magnified in the playoffs, it's no surprise that the Regina Pats' power play is attracting a lot of attention.

Regina has gone a combined 1-for-15 with the man advantage in the opening two games of its Eastern Conference quarterfinal against the Swift Current Broncos. More to the point, an 0-for-9 showing in Game 2 is one of the main reasons why the best-of-seven series is tied 1-1 heading into tonight's showdown at the Centennial Civic Centre.

"It's too bad," lamented Pats centre Kyle Ross. "We were getting the chances and just weren't quite executing the things we had planned. It's not really going back to the drawing board. It's just fine-tuning."

The impact of a struggling power play is felt the most in tight games.

The Pats' 1-for-6 effort in Game 1 was a non-factor based upon the complexion of the game -- a 4-0 blowout. However, a subsequent 0-for-9 showing -- including two lengthy 5-on-3s -- was the most-glaring statistic to emerge from Saturday's 4-3 overtime loss.

When the Pats' success hinged on their power-play unit, it let them down.

"We'll have a look at it," head coach Curtis Hunt said after Saturday's loss. "We have a couple days to talk about it and get ready."

Hunt's tone was echoed by defenceman Logan Pyett, who sees no reason to panic at such an early juncture. After all, Regina's power play has been one of the team's strengths in recent weeks -- ranked No. 6 in the WHL during the regular season.

That fact alone suggests the basic approach is sound. It's the execution that needs to improve.

"I thought we moved the puck fairly well," noted Pyett. "We didn't seem to have too much problem getting into their zone. We just have to get more pucks through and get them moving a bit more."

It's the perfect example of how the playoffs are all about adjustments -- and counter-adjustments.

Swift Current made the first move by taking an aggressive posture against Regina's point men, who are the focal point of the power-play unit.

Regina's puck movement also wasn't as crisp and decisive Saturday as it has been in the past. That afforded Swift Current even more time to pressure the Pats' blueliners and get into the shooting lanes.

"They blocked a lot of shots," added Pyett, correctly giving credit where it's due. "We have to get more shots through, that's about all we can do. We have to get on the rebounds and get second opportunities on the power play and (good) things will happen for us."

The Pats are eager for a second chance -- in more ways than one.

Swift Current threw down the gauntlet with a much-improved effort on Saturday night, including a 2-for-6 showing on the power play after going 0-for-5 in the opener.

Head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth said his team's improvement on special teams is a simple matter of execution -- especially against a dangerous Pats' power play.

"Our penalty kill has been pretty good during the season, (but it) hasn't been very good against the Pats," said Chynoweth. "I thought (Saturday) some guys really stepped up and paid the price in blocking those shots. We're going to need much more of that in the games to come."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
The Pats have a good powerplay...they needed to shoot more on the PP on Saturday night. The Broncos made it difficult for them, but not impossible. There were opportunities for them to take shots, that they didn't take. I HATE when people yell at them to shoot! Sometimes (okay, often) I silently urge them to shoot, but don't yell it out!!! I don't think people realize what that does. First of all, they need to understand that what a player sees from the ice is VERY different from what they're seeing in the stands. Maybe he sees a better opportunity if he passes it, maybe he can't see that open spot, maybe...Second, you can cause a to second guess himself and that is NEVER a good thing in a game this fast...Look at Nick Ross at one point on Saturday, he had what looked to be a perfect opportunity to score. People start yelling to shoot and he seemed to panic. People need to have faith that these guys know what they're doing. Their PP is predictable, but it works...you always know how they'll set it up (the problem is when they can't get it set up), but the other team never knows where the shot is going to come from. They put Deck and Pyett on the PP because they've got great shots, and they can get things set up. Kyle Deck, in particular, seems to have a good eye for setting up shots. (Logan Pyett, though, shows me every day that he's ready to fill those shoes *or skates* next year). They've got a great line in Festerling, Eberle and MacAngus, who can set things up and a lot of guys who can create traffic. They make it difficult for the opposition to predict what they'll do, even though they know exactly how they'll set it up.

Fight Guy
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I never read the whole article, but my comments on the Pats power play....SHOOT MORE OFTEN! Jeeze...it was like watching the Pats of last year and the year before when they were taking NO shots on the 2-man advantage. I noticed Moir giving out some huge rebounds that the Pats could have jumped on and probably scored. But whatever...hopefully they realize that, and play like they did their first game, tonight. They didn't deserve to win last game.

^^^^^
And I agree with Bran, no need to yell at them to shoot cause a lot of the time, a Bronco would get in the way. But again, when they had the 2man advantage, they had no reason not to shoot more with the extra room. You'd may as well take some shots rather than trying to set up a play and not get any chances at all.

nivek_wahs
03-29-2007, 05:29 AM
I just went over the not-so special teams for both teams in the series... Both teams are lacking in the power play department or have stepped it up on the penalty kill..

(PP's as per whl.ca as of March 29 5:25am SK time)

Pats
GM 1) 1/6
GM 2) 0/9
GM 3) 1/7
GM 4) 1/6
After 4 games - 3/28 or 10.7%

Broncos
GM 1) 0/5
GM 2) 2/6
GM 3) 1/11
GM 4) 0/6
After 4 games - 3/28 or 10.7%

Definitely nothing to write home about!

nivek_wahs
03-29-2007, 05:37 AM
The Pats have a good powerplay...they needed to shoot more on the PP on Saturday night. The Broncos made it difficult for them, but not impossible. There were opportunities for them to take shots, that they didn't take. I HATE when people yell at them to shoot! Sometimes (okay, often) I silently urge them to shoot, but don't yell it out!!! I don't think people realize what that does. Yelling SHOOT has to be one of my biggest pet peeves to date! I can't stand it. I agree with the rest of your post Bran... some people just don't get the whole power play setup thing... just can't shoot the puck all the time.

And yes I too think Pyett is ready to step in for Deck upon his graduation, actually in many ways Pyett has surpassed Deck already.

Bran
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Yelling SHOOT has to be one of my biggest pet peeves to date! I can't stand it. I agree with the rest of your post Bran... some people just don't get the whole power play setup thing... just can't shoot the puck all the time.

And yes I too think Pyett is ready to step in for Deck upon his graduation, actually in many ways Pyett has surpassed Deck already.
I know...brings a tear to my eye! I love watching the two of them play together, and when you get that line of Festerling, Eberle and MacAngus out there with the two of them...sometimes I just know we're in for a goal, I can feel it! Haha...Anyway, Logan's really come around. I think he's really learned a lot from Kyle, and I don't really mean hockey so much...I think he's going to be a great leader. Earlier on in the season his leadership abilities on the ice weren't really so obvious, at least not to me. Obviously that's really changed, and I think I notice it most when he's playing with Matt Delahey...I think it's why he plays with him. He really helps him out and he can pick up the slack when he's not...on...Don't get me wrong, I like Delahey, but he's young and it's only recently that I've noticed a lot of confidence in his game. I think our defence looks pretty darn good!