PDA

View Full Version : Pats paddling against current

nivek_wahs
03-27-2007, 03:27 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=b2434fcf-bbf3-49c3-af5d-7555166ddbcf

Pats paddling against current

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Regina Pats are officially up the creek.

After settling for a two-game split at the Brandt Centre, the Pats are headed up the road to Speedy Creek for the next stage in their Eastern Conference quarterfinal against the Swift Current Broncos.

The pendulum is now swinging towards the Broncos, who've stolen home-ice advantage in what has become a best-of-five showdown. Game 3 goes tonight at the Centennial Civic Centre.

"The truth is, this is a game of momentum," acknowledged Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "We saw momentum swings within that game Saturday night (a 4-3 OT loss). We need to understand that going in. (The Broncos) are charged up. They've reclaimed home ice. We need to adjust accordingly."

Swift Current made a dramatic adjustment after getting knocked around in Game 1 -- a 4-0 decision at the Brandt Centre. The visitors pushed back the next night and were rewarded with a thrilling OT victory.

What's in store for Game 3? From Regina's perspective, not much changes.

"It's the same two teams," noted Hunt. "It's just a matter of how we prepare and our mindset going in. You have to be at your best and you have to get your intensity level to where it needs to be without getting over the top."

The scenario isn't unlike the one Regina faced heading into Game 1. After posting one of the best home records in the league this season, the Pats couldn't help but feel confident about opening the first two games of the series at the Brandt Centre.

Conversely, the Broncos made no secret of their hope to salvage a split in Regina, then make a stand back home for Games 3 and 4.

"We talked about that," head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth said after Saturday's win. "Coming in from the opening game we wanted to get a split. We're pleased."

That's not to say the Pats have gone from favourites to underdogs overnight.

"We still feel confident," said defenceman Logan Pyett. "We've won in their building this year. We're going to go in there and try to pull a couple out."

Swift Current had lost all five of its previous games at the Brandt Centre this season before pulling out a victory in Game 2. The Pats, meanwhile, have already won twice at the Civic Centre, posting a 2-2 record.

"It has been an interesting building this year," noted centre Kyle Ross. "We've pretty much had everything in that rink."

No kidding.

Regina opened the regular season with a 5-2 victory in Swift Current on Sept. 22. Business picked up on Dec. 3, when the Pats scored twice in the final four minutes but had a game-tying goal called off at the buzzer, losing 3-2.

On Jan. 5, the Pats suffered their most-humiliating defeat of the season, dropping a 9-0 laugher. They came back for redemption on Jan. 24, skating to a 7-2 blowout win.

Overall, Swift Current outscored Regina 16-14 at the Civic Centre this season. However, the visitors have enjoyed a 119-101 edge in shots while converting 24 per cent of their power plays.

"It'll be a big test," added Ross. "We're going to have to come out with a better effort."

The change in venue means the roles are now reversed in favour of the Broncos. Swift Current played well on home ice this season (20-15-1-0) while Regina struggled on the road (11-20-1-4).

Hunt seems to get more agitated each time the subject is raised, but the fact remains that his team has yet to prove it can win consistently away from the Brandt Centre.

"At this time of year, this home/road thing (doesn't matter)," he countered. "You're playing the same team. The dimensions (of the ice) are the same. It's just understanding the crowd and what it can do.

"There are always adjustments (to the gameplan) but at the same time it's a mindset. The kids understand we weren't ready for that game (Saturday). We'll prepare better and go in there and play the game that we need to play to have success."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think they needed that loss...I think it knocked them back down to earth. They are a better team than Swift, and have proved that they can win there. Anyone remember what happened last time they lost to the Broncos?? And please....LET MIKE REICH PLAY!!! The kid deserves it...I was reading the comments on Rod's blog, and someone compared him to the Tazmanian Devil...lol, why not! Let him out and he'll destroy the Broncos! Not only is he going to want to go out there and prove himself, but I'm sure he's got a lot of pent up energy. Maybe sit Lind and Jagow and let Reich and Scott play tonight. They deserve the chance as much as anyone else. And no falling asleep tonight, boys...if they keep up the intensity the entire game, they'll be just fine.

I'll be at work tonight (:() but I'll definately be checking in! Cheer hard and loud for me tonight, guys (and girls?!?)!!! AND! No getting kicked out ;) The boys need you! Have fun!

Fight Guy
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah...they NEED to let Reich play. He has done good things (besides the occasional stupid penalty) for the team since coming here, and he definitely deserves to play. HAHA...put him, Hill, and Teubert up front on a line, and I'm pretty sure things will go the Pats way...lol. Or you'll just have a bunch of hurt Broncos on the ice! jk...lol...but Reich needs to play. I really hope he plays tonight. It really isn't fair because he worked hard every game I can remember during the regular season.

Bran
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah...they NEED to let Reich play. He has done good things (besides the occasional stupid penalty) for the team since coming here, and he definitely deserves to play. HAHA...put him, Hill, and Teubert up front on a line, and I'm pretty sure things will go the Pats way...lol. Or you'll just have a bunch of hurt Broncos on the ice! jk...lol...but Reich needs to play. I really hope he plays tonight. It really isn't fair because he worked hard every game I can remember during the regular season.
Yeah, sometimes he'll take a dumb penalty, but who doesn't?? That's why I like the Taz reference. They lock him up, he gets all this pent up energy and releases it on the unsuspecting victims (in this case, the Broncos). He works hard every night and deserves the chance.

nivek_wahs
03-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Well after 4 games the Pats' line-up is status quo and it appears to be working... won 3 of 4 and one loss in OT. As long as the Black Aces keep their focus they may just get a call to action soon.

I would have a hard time trying to fit Justin & Mike into the line-up... cuz who would you sit? Take out the versatility of Lind or Jagow (very good on the PK) or the large bodies of Stoesz and Elder (leadership and toughness). Seems like everyone is playing well... I bet it must be nice for Hunt to have a healthy line-up (other than Snellman).

I guess if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing.