PDA

View Full Version : Doyle focused on task at hand

nivek_wahs
03-27-2007, 03:29 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=aa13b8d9-5926-466a-bda2-598cabb11b94

Doyle focused on task at hand

Tim Switzer, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Eric Doyle is being careful to keep his mind on the Regina Pats.

It would be easy, after all, for the 17-year-old Swift Current Broncos defenceman to let his mind wander. Doyle is rated 19th among North American skaters and is expected to be a late first- or early second-round pick in June's NHL entry draft.

"I've tried to block it out for the time being," said Doyle, a Calgary product. "Maybe once the season is over, I'll start thinking about it again, but right now I'll try to concentrate on the playoffs."

Of course, when he thinks about the WHL postseason, the draft can't be too far from his thoughts either. If the Broncos advance beyond their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal with the Pats (currently tied 1-1) and make an unexpected playoff run, Doyle's stock will almost certainly rise. Game 3 goes today in Swift Current.

"They go hand-in-hand," said Doyle, who had eight goals and 21 assists in the regular season, but has yet to register a point against the Pats in the playoffs. "If the team is doing well, you're probably doing well personally and vice versa."

Broncos assistant coach Dave Hunchak said he's not even worried if Doyle is distracted by the draft before the Broncos complete their season.

"From an NHL draft standpoint, it's this time of year where you either improve your stock or your stock drops a little bit," said Hunchak. "He's in the exact same situation as what (Pats defenceman) Nick Ross (the 17th-rated skater) is in."

But with all that on Doyle's mind, he is also expected to be a playoff leader, despite his age. After a run to the Western Conference final with the Everett Silvertips last season, Doyle is one of the few players on the Broncos' roster with playoff experience. The Broncos acquired Doyle from Everett on the Jan. 10 trade deadline for 19-year-old defenceman Dane Crowley, 16-year-old centre Jordan Mistelbacher and a conditional 2008 third-round pick in the bantam draft.

Doyle only played six games for Everett in the 2006 postseason, but was still able to watch the team grow as it went through the rounds.

"Even though I wasn't dressed in all those games, I was still around the team and saw how they prepared and how they changed their game for playoffs," said Doyle. "There are some guys on our team that have played less than me. There's always things you can say.

"I try to lead by example. I'm not a really vocal kid. I let some of the other guys do that. But you have to change your game for the playoffs and adjust to the different style of game."

Someday soon, the Broncos would like to see younger players looking up to Doyle that way. With the potential to have Doyle around for another three seasons, Hunchak is excited to see just how much of an impact the 6-foot-2 and 195-pound blueliner will have.

"He's a guy that brings a lot of offensive upside to our team" said Hunchak. "We think he's a guy that is going to quarterback our powerplay for years to come. He does it right now so for him to get the experience and play the big minutes in the big games is very important for him."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007