PDA

View Full Version : Keen's Korner Schenderling's Hat-trick Not Enough

nivek_wahs
03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
jonkeen.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Schenderling's Hat-trick Not Enough

First of all... that was an entertaining game three.

Unfortunately, the Broncos let it get away allowing the Pats a 2-1 series advantage with game four tomorrow night. I won't get into too much of a recap tonight with the 4:30am alarm clock ready to go but for the Broncos it's a coulda, woulda, shoulda kind of outcome.

Despite a rocking Civic Center and a quick two goal lead in the 1st period, the Broncos watched the Pats come back with four unanswered goals to take a 4-2 advantage and then a 5-3 lead after 40 minutes.

The Broncos pressed hard in the third period firing 15 shots for a total of 42 - even getting within one on Jeremy Schenderling's hat-trick goal, but the Pats would hold on despite a couple mad scrambles in the dying seconds.

The Broncos powerplay was awful at times tonight. 1 for 12 is what I had it for. They had trouble most of the night gaining the zone or retrieving loose pucks on the dump-in. It was tough sledding on the man advantage. Boy, would the Broncos love those opportunities back.

A couple squeakers found there way past Kyle Moir tonight. One was a short-side goal from Kyle Ross in the 1st period that tied the game 2-2. Another was the Garrett Festerling shelf-job from a sharp angle as he skated out of the corner. Even the Logan Pyett point shot late in the 2nd period trickled through after Kyle got a piece of it. To his defense he made some great saves in the third period to allow the Broncos to press for the tying goal late.

CKRM's Rod Pedersen made it onto our broadcast tonight. After the 11th powerplay was served up to the Broncos, Pedersen leaned over to our side, took off his headset and fired "how many powerplay is that!? 11, 12 . . . how many?" We chuckled as Ryan and I answered him right on-air. It was a strange moment for sure. The Pats bench was fired-up over the two man crew of Reagan Vetter and Pat Smith. At the end of the night, the Pats had a pp goal, so did the Broncos.

Bottom line, it was a start the Broncos had hoped for, but some careless turnovers resulted in Regina goals which resulted in a game three win.

More tomorrow morning,

Jon

posted by Jon Keen at 10:34 PM

Scout
03-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Last updated at 12:12 AM on 28/03/07

Pyett lifts Pats over Broncos
Regina leads series two games to one

BOOSTER STAFF
The Southwest Booster

There was no quit in their game, but the Swift Current Broncos dug too deep a hole in a 5-4 loss to the visiting Regina Pats on Tuesday night.
The Pats struck for four unanswered goals during the second half of the opening period and the opening 7:30 of the second period as the Broncos watched a 2-0 lead dissolve into a 4-2 deficit.
The win gives Regina a two games to one series lead in this best-of-seven East Division playoff series.
Regina's offensive firepower was evident in that Regina notched five goals on 23 shots, with all but one of their goal coming off of skill plays.
Swift Current was left to bemoan the fact that their powerplay counted just one goal in 11 opportunities, and on some of their manadvantage situations they were unable to even set up in the Pats defensive zone.
The Broncos will also wonder about the chances that got away, especially the potential tying goal in the dying seconds which nearly everyone on the ice watched slide less than a foot off the mark.
Logan Pyett, a Detroit Red Wings draft pick, scored twice to lead the Pats to the win. The offensively minded Pyett, who was third in Pats regular season points, scored on a Pats five-on-three powerplay and he counted the eventual game winner on a blast from the point with 52 seconds left in the middle period.
“It’s huge for us, we have played better when we are down all year," Pyett said after the win. "We knew they were going to come hard right off the bat. Unfortunately we were not quite as prepared as we wanted to be and they scored two quick ones. They got a nice bounce from the wall on the second one, but I guess we did too. It was nice to come back, it showed good character for us and we came back strong.”
Regina, who were just one for 15 on the powerplay on home ice, were patient while with the manadvantage in game three.
“We talked about our powerplay a lot. We didn’t want to change anything, especially when we got the five-on-three. We just wanted lots of shots and traffic in front. It was a great screen by Ofukany. Lucky for me he didn’t tip it, he usually tips it wide. I just tried to get it through, they did a great job of blocking shots on Saturday. I got it by their blocker this time and it happened to go in.”
Ironically, the Broncos had just the start they were looking for, but Regina quickly took it back.
Jeremy Schenderling ignited the hometown crowd when he scored 4:45 into the game on a cross ice pass from Daniel Rakos. The Broncos jumped into a 2-0 advantage when Brady Leavold scored his first career playoff goal thanks to a hometown boards bounce. A shot from the faceoff circle by Rakos went wide, but Leavold shoveled the rebound into the net before Rowat could react.
Regina special teams got the Pats back into the game. Pyett launched a seeing-eye point shot through a crowd which glanced off the post and behind a screened Moir. Regina took back the momentum when Kyle Ross scored on Moir’s stick side with 4:09 left in the first period.
Regina opened a 3-2 lead 3:47 into the middle period when Regina rookie Jordan Eberle slid home a rebound off the back boards, a near identical goal to the one Leavold scored in the opening frame.
Garrett Festerling scored a goal scorers goal to open a 4-2 Regina goal, wristing a shot over Moir's shoulder from a bad angle 7:30 into the second.
Schenderling lifted the Broncos back into the game when he one-timed a pass from Geordie Wudrick low along the ice.
Pyett's second of the game was the different on Tuesday, with his hard slapshot deciding the game with just 52 seconds left in the middle period.
Schenderling completed his hat trick in the third period, and he nearly added a fourth in the final minutes, but the Broncos came up a goal shot in the loss.
“It definitely boosted my confidence. I just want to go out there every game and give it my all because I don’t have anything next year. So I am just going to play my heart out. Tonight was a heart-breaker, hopefully tomorrow we will get better results,” the overage Schenderling said from ice level after the game.
"It is a heart-breaker. But we have four more games left and it can go either way. So we have to come out tomorrow and work just as hard or even harder and good things will happen.”
Broncos head coach and general manager Dean Chynoweth is also looking for more from his team.
“I thought they really took it to us in the second period. Getting out of the first 2-2 was fine. In the second period they payed a price in some areas that we didn’t. Then you are playing from behind. You know we had all kind of chances and were not able to capitalize. I wouldn’t say we deserved to win.”
“The biggest thing for us has been consistency in a 60 minute game. We thought we had it tonight and then tonight we get up 2-0 and all of a sudden they start chipping away and coming back 2-2. We didn’t respond that well in the second period, so it would be nice to put together that full 60 minutes.
Pats netminder Linden Rowat is now 2-1 in the post season after he stopped 38 of 42 shots for the win. His best save was a glove save which prevented Schenderling from scoring his fourth of the night.
Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir turned aside 26 of 31 shots in the loss.
Game four will be hosted at the Civic Centre tonight at 7:30 p.m.
“We have to come out and play each period as if it is do or die. We need to work for a full 60 and good things will happen,” Schenderling said.

Flathead
03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Moir was average, too many defensive zone giveaways, our pp was not very good, and we forgot to play the second period. We need to play a full 60 minutes in order to beat a very good Pats team, I thought we outplayed Regina in the 1st and 3rd. Another thing is Rowat is a very good goalie, and should go fairly high in the draft, but his rebound control is weak. We need to fight for those rebounds.
Let's tie this back up!!!!