PDA

View Full Version : Broncos a game away from elimination

Scout
03-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Last updated at 11:11 PM on 28/03/07

Broncos a game away from elimination

BOOSTER STAFF
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos are a game away from elimination in their opening round Western Hockey League playoff series with the Regina Pats following a 5-2 home ice loss on Wednesday night.
Regina swept both games in Swift Current to open a three games to one lead in this best of seven opening round series. The Pats can wrap up the series with a win during game five in Regina on Friday.
“It’s tough," admitted Bronco forward Levi Nelson. "They come into our own building and steal four points from us, that is unacceptable. None the less we just have go home and in the next few days realize what is at stake. We have to pull up our socks and come out with a big bang in Regina.”
“The guys have to put it behind us and realize that it is do or die. Every shift is going to mean a lot, the guys realize that. We just have to elevate our game and come to the table.”
The Broncos found themselves playing comeback hockey in the middle period when the Pats scored three times, including a key powerplay marker which turned out to be the game winner.
After a scoreless first period, Regina’s Michael MacAngus got the Pats on the scoreboard when he deflected a point shot past a screened Moir for a 1-0 Regina lead.
Pats rookie Jordan Eberle was the sparkplug behind Regina’s second goal working had behind the net before centring to Logan Pyett who teed up a slapshot for his third goal of the series.
If the Pats through about going into cruise control, Levi Nelson scored 35 seconds later to get the Broncos on the scoreboard and back into the game. Nelson followed up a two-on-two rush, and held onto a Brady Leavold drop pass until Pats goaltender Linden Rowat committed himself out of position.
Regina restored their two goal advantage with their only powerplay marker of the night, with Kyle Ross beating Moir to the stick side with a slapshot from the point.
Defenceman R.J. LaRochelle sent a slapshot through a screen of players and behind a surprised Rowat to pull the Broncos within 3-2 with just 1:46 left in the second period.
In the decisive third period the Pats, Regina's Garrett Festerling took the wind out of the Broncos sails when he scored on a goalmouth scramble to put the Pats up 4-2. Kyle Ross added an insurance goal into an empty net with 28 seconds left.
Regina assistant coach Terry Perkins said the Pats did not let the Broncos generate many chances through a strong team effort.
“I thought that tonight was our best game of the series. We knew they would be desperate and our guys did a really good job of keeping them in their zone. We created a lot of turnovers in their zone. Even in the first period when we got into penalty trouble, we hung in there and did a good job killing. In the second period we created a lot of chances but it seemed like we were never going to score there. Then the floodgates opened and we started to hit the net. When you keep getting chances you just know they are going to go in. I thought that in the third period we did a good job of playing with the lead. Again not letting them have many odd-man rushes, but having that killer instinct to go get that fourth goal.”
“We are up 3-1 so we have a lot to be happy about. These guys are a good team, they battle hard, they are a younger team. I think we have just tried to capitalize on our experience a little bit. The games have been fast, they work hard. They never stop coming so you can’t let up. That is a good lesson for us because every time we have let up they have made us pay for it. Last night we were lucky to hang on for a win, whereas tonight we learned a bit to keep going and not give them a chance.”
Pats goaltender Linden Rowat improved to 3-1 in the post season by stopping 25 of 27 shots.
Broncos overage netminder Kyle Moir yielded four goals on 27 shots in the loss.
Regina collected a single powerplay goal in six opportunities, while Swift Current failed to connect on the powerplay despite six tries.

Scout
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Keen's Korner

Thursday, March 29, 2007
Quick Update

Nothing fancy today, just like last night's game I suppose.

I'll update from the road when we get settled in Regina.

The Broncos playoff home-ice woes continued last night, they've now lost five straight playoff games at the Civic Center dating back to 2004 in their first round series with Medicine Hat. I'm sure this is tough for the old Bronco faithful to swallow.

"We were outworked, plain and simple." Dave Hunchak in our PDQ Autobody Post game show. "They wanted it more, no excuses," said Brady Leavold in our chat after a Regina 5-2 victory.

I won't get into a lengthy recap, today's a busy day after a short turnaround for game five tomorrow night from the Brandt Center. The Broncos season will be on the line as they try to force a game six Sunday night back at the Civic Center.

The Broncos must win three straight to take the series now and you can bet a run of cliches will be used in the next 48 hours to set-up game five from the Broncos standpoint. Just pick one. Do or die, must win, win or go home, one game at a time, one shift at a time.

There's lots of great series going on around the WHL. One is over already. Prince George sweeping the Kamloops Blazers, wow. The Blazers had such a great season going until February then they started to slide. Last night's loss I'm assuming was very bitter. The Blazers led 3-0 before the Cougars tied it in the third then won it just 2:30 into overtime on Devin Setoguchi's winner. The Cougars had never swept a series in their franchise history.

Both #1 seeds in the Conferences are down to a best-of-three. Medicine Hat and Red Deer are all even 2-2, as are Everett and Spokane.

I'll set up game five from a Broncos perspective when I have more time...

The sun rose in Swift Current this morning.... despite the doom and gloom.

What are the chances of coming back? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon