PDA

View Full Version : Rowat rebounding for Pats

nivek_wahs
03-30-2007, 03:16 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=81581744-9716-4657-b2a7-55161513509b

Rowat rebounding for Pats

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, March 30, 2007

Don't let anyone tell you Linden Rowat can't control his rebounds.

The first-year starter could have self-destructed after his overtime blunder last weekend cost the Regina Pats a 4-3 loss to the Swift Current Broncos. Instead, he rallied with consecutive road wins, backstopping the Pats to a 3-1 lead in their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal.

"It was good to rebound from Game 2 and gain my confidence back," offered Rowat, whose team can eliminate Swift Current with a win tonight (7 o'clock) at the Brandt Centre. "I just tried to put (the mishap) out of my mind. I didn't think about it at all. I just focused on playing like I had been. The guys supported me and they played their best in front of me and did everything possible so we'd get the win."

Rowat was virtually inconsolable after Game 2, when he hit defenceman Nick Ross in the back with a clearing attempt early in overtime. The puck landed right on the stick of Kyle Bortis, who promptly scored into the empty net.

Although Rowat's teammates were quick to come to his defence, the 17-year-old netminder dutifully faced the music and -- right or wrong -- took full blame for the loss.

"I was pretty down," said Rowat, who admits he was reluctant to speak with the media after the game. "I didn't really want to have my face in front of the camera (at that moment). I just took responsibility for it and said I would redeem myself in the next game. It was definitely a bump in the road but, when I look back, I overcame it. It was just a little obstacle. I moved on and didn't let it affect me."

Rowat has actually been the least of the Pats' worries in this series. He's outplaying Broncos counterpart Kyle Moir, who could be replaced by backup Travis Yonkman for Game 5. Moir has posted a 4.02 goals-against average and an .863 save percentage in the series.

Rowat's numbers are stellar, including a 2.49 GAA, a .913 save percentage and one shutout.

"There wasn't any doubt, in our minds at least, (that Rowat would rebound)," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "He came back (after Game 2) and had two really strong practices, worked his tail off and he let it go. That's important for his development as a goaltender. He responded very, very well in both games."

That's not to say Rowat is flying solo. The Pats have given him plenty of help while holding Swift Current to an average of 24 shots in three of the four games. The exception was Game 3, when Rowat came up big in a 5-4 win by stopping 38 of 42 shots, a total which was inflated by the Broncos' 12 power-play chances.

"What we did a very good job of was dealing with the pressure (the Broncos) provided in terms of being in the lanes and blocking shots and minimizing second chances," Hunt said of his team's defensive effort. "When we're able to play a certain way, we minimize the opposition's chances."

And take the heat of their goaltender.

"It definitely helps the confidence when we win two straight road games," added Rowat. "Now we're up 3-1 in the series. Game 4 is always the hardest one to win. We just have to put the nail in the coffin (tonight)."

EXTRAS: As of late Thursday afternoon, approximately 4,200 tickets had been sold for tonight's game. The Brandt Centre holds 6,200. The crowds for Games 1 and 2 were 5,225 and 5,541 respectively ... G Jeff Bosch, 16, of the midget AAA Saskatoon Blazers joined Regina for Thursday's practice and is slated to remain with the team for the rest of the playoffs ... RW Niko Snellman, who's out for the season with a broken wrist, is expected to return home to Finland early next week.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007