PDA

View Full Version : Game tonight Game 5

Priceisright
03-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Congrats the Giants! They pretty much played a full 60 minutes! Hard work and persistence despite still being snake bit scoring. They will definitely have to improve in the next series and things will be much tougher.

Glad to see McCardle play a very good game as well.

On a side note: JD Watt's an idiot, enough said. Sorry there really is no other way to put it. He really plays some dumb hockey as was evidenced at the end of the game by trying to goad (sp.) the Chilliwack bench. No need for that!!!

Good luck Giants :)

SixSixOne
03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah he was an idiot tonight at the end, but I cant wait until I see Donnie Glennie in the summer, I am gonna let him have it for sure :laugh:

Did anyone else think Matt McCues moustache was something straight out of a low budget adult video? :o

BruinsFan19
03-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah he was an idiot tonight at the end, but I cant wait until I see Donnie Glennie in the summer, I am gonna let him have it for sure :laugh:

Why?

You're just a fan, I doubt he cares what you have to say.

Priceisright
03-31-2007, 12:36 AM
The team cares. There is no "I" in team. I sure wish Watt had his head screwed on right. You think Slade was a loose canon lol.

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 12:36 AM
hey all i see dondo may be busy tonight ... my writer is just finishing up the recap. I'll have it posted as soon as possible. Congrats to the Giants by the way.

Monster
03-31-2007, 12:39 AM
The team cares. There is no "I" in team. I sure wish Watt had his head screwed on right. You think Slade was a loose canon lol.

I think BF was talking about Glennie............. ;)

rinkrat
03-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Donnie Glennie looked a little frustrated, maybe he didn't want to eat crow after his "guaranteed win" statement.

Priceisright
03-31-2007, 12:47 AM
I think BF was talking about Glennie............. ;)

Oops :karate:

Monster
03-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Donnie Glennie looked a little frustrated, maybe he didn't want to eat crow after his "guaranteed win" statement.
Maybe he didn't mean this game........... Boogaard'd

langdak
03-31-2007, 12:56 AM
http://www.chilliwackbruins.com/content/bruins/images/PartikBhungal.jpg

"IT'S MY PARTIK AND I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO"

Good job tonite boys, onto round 2 we go

Swando
03-31-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm sure Watt will get a game for his instigator penalty + the fight( Maybe more if it's his last game M). In saying this there was already a brohau going on that he jumped into. My question is this...what happens to a team that is out of the playoffs like the Wack. Pissed off as they may be they could hurt the chances of a advancing team by goading or taking out thier frustrations, ie Bunghole or Miscue at the end of the game? Or what if it's a 20 yr old in his last game --so what the !!! lets go type attitude? Personally a big fine to the team will be sufficent. 5000+

Watt you wear an A--- grow up, you have just hurt your team!!
Watcherl - you are playing good hockey- don't revert to your old style!!

rinkrat
03-31-2007, 01:05 AM
Looked to me like Glennie came off the bench at Watt,who was taunting as he skated by with a couple seconds left.
Watt and Glennie have had a feud going all series. I think Donnie jumped the boards before the final buzzer.
Thats how it started,after that it was bedlam.
Pretty entertaining though. :thumb:

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 01:07 AM
The game recap is up and on the site ... I am still receiving some details from my staff writer who attended the game ... so more details will be added through the evening.

rinkrat
03-31-2007, 01:26 AM
The game recap is up and on the site ... I am still receiving some details from my staff writer who attended the game ... so more details will be added through the evening.

www.bcsportsbeat.ca

You may want to edit it first.
Giants don't necessarily play PG next.

Swando
03-31-2007, 01:32 AM

www.bcsportsbeat.ca

I think the non professional type stuff is best as well

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 01:36 AM
You may want to edit it first.
Giants don't necessarily play PG next.

yah thanks ... i noticed that just after i uploaded it. ;)

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 01:42 AM
I think the non professional type stuff is best as well

what do you mean by that?

GF71
03-31-2007, 01:44 AM
what do you mean by that?

I think he is reffering to the grass roots fan sites that he prefers over the professional media??

dondo
03-31-2007, 03:28 AM
well I watched the game on tape -- thank you Shaw and I am glad I did -- pretty good game all in all. Lots of penalties but its Zalaski what do you expect.

no time to read your recap right now Kelcey but I will later -- I couldn't resist writing a recap though so here it is. Good win by the G-Men.

also can you guys make sure if you start a thread like this its in the format we usually use -- makes it easier to find later on --

here ya go Beaner ... I happy I was able to get something up for you -- see ya in the second round. I am not missing any more freaking home games no matter how much they offer to pay me to work that day.

Giants Eliminate Bruins 3-1 Mar 30th (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/March_30th_GiantsbkEliminatebkBruins_108.html)

Giants Eliminate Bruins
Vancouver 3 Chilliwack 1

The Giants were not to be denied tonight finishing off the series on home ice, as they put together another complete game, holding the Bruins to just one goal and that one off a horrific give-away by Brendan Mikkelson while the Giants were on the PP. The G-Men are now, going back to last season, winners of five straight series with only 3 losses in twenty-three games. The Giants came out hard and flying. They took the game right into the Bruins zone and kept them pinned there for the first three shifts. Archibald had to be good early (Lucic got a good shot on net 10 seconds into the game) and continued his strong play throughout the night. The Vancouver squad was buzzing around the Bruins net most of the evening and ground it out in the corners drawing penalties by keeping their feet moving and fighting for puck possession. In short – a text-book Vancouver Giants game.

The Giants opened the scoring off of a brilliant tic-tac-toe play, at 12:07 of the first. Mike Wuchterl came into the Bruins zone and stopped, spun and rifled a cross ice pass tape-to-tape to JD Watt at the opposite boards. Watt fired the puck back across the ice as Tim Kraus charged the net. Kraus was able to chip a backhanded deflection over Archibald for the goal. Josh Aspenlind who had a heart and soul night tonight benefited from a poor give-away at the Bruins blue-line off of Mikkelson, who other than that gaffe had a very good night. Nick Holden was happy to receive such a nice pass and promptly fired it up ice to a streaking Aspenlind. Aspenlind faked and deked right sweeping a backhand over Sexsmith’s outstretched glove. Kenndal McArdle playing with Mario Bliznak and Spencer Machacek was all over the ice tonight as his big game pedigree was beginning to show. After some heavy forechecking by Machacek, Bliznak slipped the puck to McArdle. McArdle drove the net from the side-boards being hooked under the armpit the whole way, but still managed to flick a backhand behind Archie.

It felt like the Giants may have dodged a bullet when on the PK Aspenlind was high-sticked by Bliznak. However the high-stick was a back-handed follow-through of a shot along the boards and should not have been a call – the refs made the right decision where this one was concerned. The home team was perfect on their PK as were the visitors on theirs.

Late in the second the Giants put more pressure in the Bruins zone and came out with another goal. This time McArdle started the play with a tenacious fore-check, getting the puck to Bliznak in the slot, the Bruins double teamed Bliznak as he made a sweet backhand pass to Machacek who snapped the puck past Archibald who had already cheated to cover Bliznak.

The Giants sat back a bit in the third and Tyson Sexsmith had to come up with very good stops to keep his team in control. The Bruins out-shot the Giants in the third period 13-5 as the home squad ceased to really try to score. Sexsmith went a long way to silence his detractors shutting the door off of what were some very good scoring chances in the third period. The reffing in the third was very suspect and seemed to be happy to call phantom calls. One of the worst was a call on Watt for boarding which was shoulder on shoulder all the way. The Giants managed to weather the storm in the final stanza thanks to some solid goaltending from Sexsmith and claim the first round series win. The Bruins pulled their goalie late but the Giants played patient hockey and turned the Chilliwack squad away. The game ended on a bit of a sour note though as there was a broo-ha-ha (Don Taylor would be so proud :thumb: ) at the 20 minute mark. JD Watt got a game misconduct, an instigator and 5 for fighting and will probably miss the first game of the next round for his denseness, if not more. Matt McCue garnered a game and 5 for fighting. The rest of the squads milled about throwing gloved punches and battling a bit keeping the linesmen busy. The result of the fisticuffs to end the game meant that the officials were not willing to allow the traditional hand-shake to end the series. Not a huge deal but it bucks with tradition and could serve to build bad blood between the two teams, which are already headed for a heated rivalry down the road.

The Giants out shot the Bruins 34-23 and once again Archibald had to be at his best to keep the score close. Neither squad managed a tally on the PP, as the Giants went 0 for 10 with a PP that looked at times dangerous but never really put together a solid outing. The bruins went 0 for 7 and were stifled by the overwhelming gap control of the Giants who were on the Bruins puck-carrier the instant he had the biscuit. For yet another night Wacey Rabbit, Milan Lucic and Michal Repik looked good but lacked finish around the net. The line of Machacek, Bliznak and McArdle was dominant at all ends of the ice and were undoubtedly the best line out there. On the other side of the puck Josh Aspenlind was doing everything in his power to keep his team in the game, but his line-mates were less motivated this evening.

The Giants now wait for their next opponent. The G-Men will retain home ice advantage and the next round should start next Friday at the Pacific Coliseum. Being a Friday, I expect the puck will drop at 7:30pm.

Three Stars

1 – Kenndal McArdle
2 – Mario Bliznak
3 – Josh Aspenlind

Swando
03-31-2007, 03:54 AM
I think he is reffering to the grass roots fan sites that he prefers over the professional media??

Thanks G71--it is exactly what I meant. This is not a training ground for writers "one of my writers is late type of thing" This is blue/white collar site to mis-spell and vent without worrying about LOGO types. We enjoy Dondo and he had his site but didn't promote it..we had Lance and he had to do his own thing---still like him however and I bookmark his sight. Shawn does both and like his comments.. So please do not come on as someone that will enlighten us ..unless you have access to the dressing rooms after the games and will pass comments on to us. Sorry I'm venting.
If I'm out of line I apologize but when I saw your logo and posts/ links etc it rubbed me the wrong way.

BruinsFan19
03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
What was Glennie's "guaranteed win" statement? I must've missed that.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks G71--it is exactly what I meant. This is not a training ground for writers "one of my writers is late type of thing" This is blue/white collar site to mis-spell and vent without worrying about LOGO types. We enjoy Dondo and he had his site but didn't promote it..we had Lance and he had to do his own thing---still like him however and I bookmark his sight. Shawn does both and like his comments.. So please do not come on as someone that will enlighten us ..unless you have access to the dressing rooms after the games and will pass comments on to us. Sorry I'm venting.
If I'm out of line I apologize but when I saw your logo and posts/ links etc it rubbed me the wrong way.
That's exactly what I thought. This site is for WHL FANS, not a vehicle for self-promotion, IMO. Stuff like that just ensures that I won't be visiting that website.
I thought the Giants took care of business pretty well last night. They again limited the Bruins' scoring chances and didn't allow any rebounds, making Sexy's night relatively easy. The Bliz-KMac-Macheck line was terrific again, and were easily the best line in the series. McArdle and Machacek seem to be pushing one another and playing off each other very well, and Bliznak is filling in the holes. I also thought the Giants PK was very good, keeping the Bruins to the outside. The reffing was pretty poor, as they were calling stuff that looked like good, solid physical play. They were trying to make their mark at the expense of the game. Certainly not a work of art by any means, the Giants were always in control and that was the part I liked best. Mikkelson (except for the PP gaff on Chilliwack's goal) played very well. He seems to be playing better than he has for most of the season, which is a very good sign. Also noticed that Bouma didn't return after he got smoked in front of the penalty box in the second period. That was a monster hit. If I were a Bruin fan, I would be kinda pissed. If they had played as physical and desperate in all the other games that they did last night, they would have had more success in the series. I thought they really stepped up he intensity. But where was it for games 1-4? Chilliwack fans must be wondering that today. And about the mess at the end of the game, I didn't really get a look at what started it. But when is Watt going to start thinking of the team first and himself second? The guy just doesn't get it. I don't know if he started it, but man, JUST TURN AWAY! The series is over. Go celebrate. There's nothing more to be settled at that point, but he just can't resist. Not smart. Nothing good ever happens after the clock says 0:00. Its all bad after that. Now he faces a suspension. Dumb, dumb, dumb. What does beaking off and fighting a clown like Bungal solve? The rest of the Giants were able to restrain themselves, but again, Watt just seems to need to display his desire to do his own thing, damn the consequences. Geez I hope Hayzer tore him a new one, but after his act (with Fistric) after the last MemCup game last year, I doubt this guy will ever learn until he's buried deep in the ECHL. I think Bungal was on the ice for the last shift, and if so, I have to wonder what Hiller was thinking putting a loose cannon like him out there at that time. The guy only plays 5 shifts a game, and you have him out there at the end where he's likely to lose control? That really shouldn't have happened. Perhaps a rookie mistake by a rookie coach. But probably no big deal. The only big deal is what the league will do about this. I have to imagine Watt will be sitting a game. And ending up suspended by being baited by a team who's season is over is unforgivable. Thanks, J.D.! And as someone who likes the handshake ritual, it was disappointing to not see it, but all-in-all the refs probably did the right thing by sending everyone away sans handshakes. It probably would have only caused another flare-up.
Good job boys! I sure prefer playing Seattle in the next round as opposed to Tri-Cities. But we shall see.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-31-2007, 10:15 AM
There was a blurb in the Province where he said the Bruins will win game 5 and there would be a game 6. Some people get all bent out of shape about stuff like that, but I give Glennie credit for it. I'd rather have guys thinking they are going to win rather than expecting the opposite. Good for him; it just didn't work out.

Soundy
03-31-2007, 10:58 AM
That's exactly what I thought. This site is for WHL FANS, not a vehicle for self-promotion, IMO. Stuff like that just ensures that I won't be visiting that website.

Dondo's recaps are MUCH better-written anyway: I looked at Mike Stoneburgh's report on that site but couldn't get past the third paragraph - the spelling and grammatical gaffes just grate my teeth like a dentist's drill. Anyone aspiring to be a professional writer should at least have 8th grade English skills. Seriously.

langdak
03-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Here is the Vancouver Province article about Glennie's guarantee

If the Canucks can do it ...

Down 3-1, Bruins looking to NHL team's heroic victories

Ken Henry, The Province

Published: Friday, March 30, 2007

CHILLIWACK -- Josh Aspenlind has no doubt it can be done.

In fact, the Chilliwack Bruins captain looks no further than the Vancouver Canucks for proof that overcoming a 3-1 playoff series deficit is possible.

The Canucks have accomplished the rare feat twice in recent memory, winning three straight to beat the Calgary Flames in 1994 and pulling off the same feat against the St. Louis Blues in 2003.

The expansion Bruins, of course, are a little different from those talent-laden Canuck teams.

But don't try to tell them that.

"Comebacks happen in sports all the time, whether it be hockey or baseball, or even golf," said Aspenlind, a Langley native. "There are turning points. For us, we've just got to win Game 5. That's all there is to it."

After losing Games 3 and 4 to the Vancouver Giants on Tuesday and Wednesday by a combined score of 9-1, Chilliwack appeared to be in good spirits during Thursday's practice at Prospera Centre.

From the Bruins' point of view, all it takes is one win to get back in the series.

"We've done better than a lot of people thought we would, but I don't think we're satisfied by any means," said Bruins general manager Darrell May. "We certainly came in to the series to try and win, and we're not out of it yet."

A motivating factor for Chilliwack may be Mike Wuchterl's exuberant celebration after making it 5-1 with 12 seconds remaining in Game 4 on Wednesday.

The Giants winger whooped it up in front of the Bruins bench for about five seconds, prompting Donnie Glennie to give him a shove. Both players, as well as Vancouver's J.D. Watt, were given misconducts.

"A few us were talking about that [Thursday] and it definitely makes us want to beat them even more," said Glennie, who has been one of Chilliwack's top forwards in the series.

"You know what? None of the boys are ready for summer," added Glennie.

"We're going to win Game 5, and we're going to bring Game 6 back to Chilliwack."

ICE CHIP: Ryan Howse made his Bruins playoff debut in Game 4, seeing limited action throughout the game. The 15-year-old had about 10 shifts in total, including some time on the second power-play unit.

ken_r_henry@yahoo.ca

© The Vancouver Province 2007

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM

okay understood.

to answer some of your question ... i do have a WHL media pass and we do as many post game interviews as possible. if you read many of our post game recaps whether it is whl hockey, high school basketball or even our football stuff we try to get interviews.

i understand this site is for the fans ... and that is the reason why we write these game recaps. no one on my site gets paid a wage we just go to these games to get the experience to learn how to become better writers.

i'm sorry you got offended by someone trying to bring you the best story, minus the spelling mistakes and gaffes. point taken.

rinkrat
03-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Are these student writers? It seems like they are getting their training on your site and you are promoting them here (and elsewhere probably).

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Are these student writers? It seems like they are getting their training on your site and you are promoting them here (and elsewhere probably).

Well, if you want to know about my writers I will tell you.

We are all fans of sports ... I can guarantee that not one of us see a life-long career in writing. We all write for this website because we believe what it stands for. How many provinces in Canada do you know have a website dedicated and focused on sport teams in their province at an amateur and professional level?

The only other writer who I can think who spends more time on amateur sport in our province is Howard Tsumura of the Vancouver Province. A good friend of mine who does an excellent job, but he even says he cannot do everything and also like what we are trying to do with BCSportsBeat.

I'm sorry I offended some of you. I am also offended that you would attack someone who was trying to just give you another perspective.

I was not trying to steal dondo's spotlight and I am sure he would say the same thing.

Cheers.

BruinsFan19
03-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Oh come on... if you don't like the other articles don't read them. There's nothing wrong with this guy offering a different perspective.

Although I am surprised the moderators are allowing him to post about his website. I know when I mentioned the Bruins forum on here all my posts were deleted :)

BruinsFan19
03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for posting the Glennie thing. I'm glad he was confident ;)

Looks like these two teams are going to have a fantastic rivalry.

Congrats to the Giants.

HAF
03-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Here is the rule regarding self promotion:

http://www.whlfans.ca/rules.php?do=view&rid=4

2. Self-PromotionPlease do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, forums, email address, business, MLM, activity, or other entities that you have an affiliation with (ie. no self-promotion). You MAY post a link to your site(s) for promotion in your signature only.

We have been having issues with this from a few different websites and all of the complaints come right down the same issue. Why does Dondo get to post a link that goes back to his recaps?
Though it may not be real popular with some, here is the answer....

Dondo has been supplying us with his well written, usually non biased Giants recaps since the early days of WHLFANS.CA. He contributes to other aspects of the sites content other than just recaps. He is always good for a classy debate, is very knowledgable and always keeps it fun. Dondo has also been a great ambassador for WHLFANS from the start and has invited in several new members in the past few years that also have become big contributors.
Dondo may have his own website but it has always been apparent that he has a great loyalty to us here. That is why Dondo has been allowed to post links directly to his game recaps.
If others would like to post discreet links back to a SPECIFIC topic on their websites I really do not have any issues with it. I do have issues with people joining whlfans.ca for the sole purpose of plugging their websites shamelessly and I am sure that some of our long time loyal posters feel the same way.

rinkrat
03-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for posting the Glennie thing. I'm glad he was confident ;)

Looks like these two teams are going to have a fantastic rivalry.

Congrats to the Giants.

I'm glad too,looks like his comments ended up posted in the Giants dressing room.

Article from the Sun...http://www.network54.com/Forum/131949/message/1175358755/Vancouver+Sun+article++%28Giants+eliminate+Bruins+ in+five+games%29

Mark Messier can get away with it. So can Muhammad Ali. But Donnie Glennie? Give your head a shake.

The Chilliwack Bruins uber pest proved Friday that predictions need to be left to soothsayers. Or at least athletes that can make their words ring true, not second-year WHLers with all of four goals and eight points in 95 career games.

Glennie's public guarantee of a Game 5 win proved to be worth less than his hockey card as the Giants eliminated the Bruins from the post-season with 3-1 win in front of 8,714 fans at the Pacific Coliseum on Friday. Vancouver advances to the Western Conference semi-final and now awaits the winner of the Seattle Thunderbirds and Tri-City Americans matchup. Seattle leads the best-of-seven series 3-2.

Glennie's comments, printed in the city's other daily paper, were highlighted and posted in the Giants dressing room for motivation.

"We read Glennie's comments and it's different when a guy like [Josh Aspenlind] is talking, trying to inspire his troops," said Giants winger J.D. Watt, who may find himself suspended for Game 1 of the next series after getting a game misconduct for fighting during a bench-clearing tussle at the end of the highly entertaining game.

"But a guy like Glennie, who hasn't done all that much in his career, yet, it annoys us.... Glennie talked a lot all series and to say the least we didn't like him that much and was probably part of the reason for the brouhaha that ensued after the game."

Kenndal McArdle and Spencer Machacek had a goal and an assist while Tim Kraus also scored for the Giants, who led 2-1 and 3-1 at the intermissions and outshot the Bruins 34-23 over 60 minutes.

Tyson Sexsmith earned the win and looks to have regained his confedence after a pair of poor performances in Games 1 and 2. After allowing seven goals on 18 shots through the first two games of the series, Sexsmith rebounded nicely in his last three, giving up just two goals on 59 shots.

Aspenlind scored the Bruins' lone goal while Alex Archibald took the loss.

After a sub-par performance in Games 1 and 2 -- in which they were outscored 7-6 -- the Giants won the final three games by combined score of 12-2 and enter the second round of the playoffs on a three-game winning streak. They have a week to prepare for their next round opponent.

Much like Watt in his fight with Partik Bhungal just seconds after the final buzzer, Giants head coach Don Hay didn't pull any punches when asked about the first-round matchup with the expansion Bruins.

"I thought we dominated the series. They played well in the one game, but other than that, if wasn't for their goaltender playing as well as he did, it would have been a lot harder for them," said Hay.

Vancouver went 0-for-10 on the power play while Chilliwack was 0-for-7.

For the record, Messier successfully guaranteed a Game 6 win in the NHL's 1994 Eastern Conference Championship while Ali was correct in his assertion that he'd knock out Sonny Liston in advance of their 1964 bout.

ICE CHIPS: Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke watched the game from the stands. The former Vancouver Canuck GM is a co-owner of the Bruins ... Tickets for the WHL's Western Conference semifinal go on sale today through Ticketmaster. Game 1 and 2 are slated for Friday and Saturday at the Coliseum.

iwalker@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
03-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Here is the rule regarding self promotion:

http://www.whlfans.ca/rules.php?do=view&rid=4

2. Self-PromotionPlease do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, forums, email address, business, MLM, activity, or other entities that you have an affiliation with (ie. no self-promotion). You MAY post a link to your site(s) for promotion in your signature only.

We have been having issues with this from a few different websites and all of the complaints come right down the same issue. Why does Dondo get to post a link that goes back to his recaps?
Though it may not be real popular with some, here is the answer....

Dondo has been supplying us with his well written, usually non biased Giants recaps since the early days of WHLFANS.CA. He contributes to other aspects of the sites content other than just recaps. He is always good for a classy debate, is very knowledgable and always keeps it fun. Dondo has also been a great ambassador for WHLFANS from the start and has invited in several new members in the past few years that also have become big contributors.
Dondo may have his own website but it has always been apparent that he has a great loyalty to us here. That is why Dondo has been allowed to post links directly to his game recaps.
If others would like to post discreet links back to a SPECIFIC topic on their websites I really do not have any issues with it. I do have issues with people joining whlfans.ca for the sole purpose of plugging their websites shamelessly and I am sure that some of our long time loyal posters feel the same way.

HAF, I appreciate you posting about this. I too respect DONDO's recaps and think they are great. Secondly, I was unaware that other readers were so offended by our site.

I have been a long time lurker on whlfans, but never a poster, until recently. I began posting game recaps so that fans have another option/perspective.

In the future I will not directly post game recaps in the thread. If people would've private messaged or told me before lashing out I would have kindly recanted.

But to make it abundantly clear I don't view my plugs as self-promotion.

Why because all of those who write for my site are fans and secondly it is a not-for-profit site.

All of my writers come from forums like yours, (whether basketball or football) because they share the same belief that this website serves a great purpose. It's intention is too keep as many people informed about sports going on in British Columbia.

So again, we did not intend to ruffle any feathers.

Soundy
03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
HAF, I appreciate you posting about this. I too respect DONDO's recaps and think they are great. Secondly, I was unaware that other readers were so offended by our site.

I have been a long time lurker on whlfans, but never a poster, until recently. I began posting game recaps so that fans have another option/perspective.

In the future I will not directly post game recaps in the thread.

The main difference here is that Dondo posts his recaps in their entirety, so readers aren't required to redirect to another site. He does provide the link to his site, yes, but he links directly the the recap, whereas you're just posting a general link to your site.

This doesn't "rile" me particularly, but it is generally poor form - back in the pre-internet days it would be the equivalent of some skr1pt-k1dd1e logging into everyone else's systems and posting "KALL MY BBS!!!" messages.

My personal opinion (no connection to whlfans.ca at all other than as a user) is that it would be "fair game" if you posted the entire recap in the message here (including proper attribution to the author), and included an "optional" link back directly to the article on your site, and/or a link to the author's bio or email.

If people would've private messaged or told me before lashing out I would have kindly recanted.

Are you kidding? That just smacks of effort! It's so much easier to just hit REPLY and let fly ;)

But to make it abundantly clear I don't view my plugs as self-promotion.

Why because all of those who write for my site are fans and secondly it is a not-for-profit site.

It's a bit of a fine line, true enough, and easy enough to trip over inadvertantly. Look at it the other way: would you appreciate it if people were coming onto your site, which you're trying to organize (as far as I can see) as an all-around site for BC sports, and just posting things like, "Hey, I have something to say about this topic... but I'm not going to share it here, you have to come to this other site to read it!"?

All of my writers come from forums like yours, (whether basketball or football) because they share the same belief that this website serves a great purpose. It's intention is too keep as many people informed about sports going on in British Columbia.

That's a great idea! And a ridiculous amount of work, I would imagine.

It's just a matter of maintaining proper etiquette. Just remember the Golden Rule: "Do unto others... then split!"
:)

One other suggestion: at least one of your writers needs to make use of a spell checker/grammar checker. It's one thing to play fast and loose with the language on a general discussion forum, but "journalistic" endeavours should really hold to a higher standard.

Just my $0.0212 (including GST)

Sauriol
03-31-2007, 08:44 PM
LOL @ Watt

dondo
04-01-2007, 12:50 AM
my my -- hearing my moniker being bandied about like this -- no wonder my ears were burning today :thumb: so.... my two coppers to throw into the pond..

If you guys would go to the site in question you would see that its pretty grass-roots. My recaps are still better of course .. :p :laugh: dancing pi,

but other than how it presented itself to begin with it seems to be a decent site covering stuff that a lot of other sites don't cover. So while I'm not exactly endorsing the way he promoted his site I think the error was in the promotion not the site itself or its aims.

Actually, I assume you are Kelcey (as the masthead indicates), I too was disappointed that your name and logo and and everything was out there from the get-go. I had a fairly strong presence here before I started my site.

As you know whlfans is really just for fans and frankly I love it here. I have written Canucks ( i know bad word around here :p ) recaps for years on various small Canucks forums and sites and when I got into the Giants it was a natural fit. Better kind of hockey for me, cheap like borscht, and a hunger in the players that the current NHL lacks most of the time.

I love being an STH and sharing my thoughts on the game with you folks. I started VGHQ because the official site frankly sucked big butt and there was a place for a decent fan site with information for the fan which wasn't just about how to buy tickets.

Eventually I am hoping to get a historical section for the Giants so if any of you have material from the early days I'd love to host it. As HAF said I have a great loyalty to whlfans and will continue to torment you folks with my posts. :thumb: -- whether you like it or not. :D

Gerg
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
There was a blurb in the Province where he said the Bruins will win game 5 and there would be a game 6. Some people get all bent out of shape about stuff like that, but I give Glennie credit for it. I'd rather have guys thinking they are going to win rather than expecting the opposite. Good for him; it just didn't work out.
I hate when players do that, especially underdogs like the Bruins. It only gives the opposition more fuel to come out and bust their asses. Good to see confidence, but when chances are slim of it happening, don't bother guaranteeing. You're not Messier

Gerg
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Glennie talked a lot all series and to say the least we didn't like him that much and was probably part of the reason for the brouhaha that ensued after the game."
I smell a career in broadcasting for this future hopefull