PDA

View Full Version : Schendo Makes Most of Final Games

Scout
03-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Schenderling making most of final games
Tim Switzer, Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, March 31, 2007
Fear must be a good motivator.

Facing what could have been his final game in the Western Hockey League on Friday, Swift Current Broncos forward Jeremy Schenderling took to the ice and was in on all of his team's goals during a 3-2 win over the Regina Pats in Game 5 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal.

Regina still leads the best-of-seven series 3-2.

You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain," said Schenderling, a 20-year-old Langley, B.C., product. "We knew we had to come out strong and play a full 60 (minutes) and we got the win."

After potting a Daniel Rakos rebound at 8:55 of the first period to give the Broncos a 1-0 lead, Schenderling had an assist on Levi Nelson's goal 56 seconds later as well as Nelson's game-winner in the second frame.

During the regular season, Schenderling had just 15 points in 33 games at the WHL's holiday break, but completed the season with 23 goals and 41 points in 65 games.

"He didn't have a very good first half and he started to emerge more as a leader and a guy that you knew what you were going to get out of every time he went on the ice," said Broncos head coach Dean Chynoweth. "I'm happy to see him get the rewards out of it at this time of year."

That progress has continued in the postseason. So far, Schenderling has five goals and two assists against the Pats.

"He was real committed from the start of playoffs and he's been our best guy so far," said Chynoweth. "He knows it's your last kick at the cat and how you go out is up to you."

On Friday, Schenderling didn't look like a player that planned to go out at all.

"As fast as I came into this league, I can go out just as fast," said Schenderling, who spent two seasons with the Kootenay Ice before being traded to the Broncos. "I approached it just as any game -- try and work my hardest and lead by example."

That may seem like a typical answer from any athlete, but Schenderling insists it is not difficult to concentrate on the game knowing it could be the last one of his five years in the WHL. After all, he does that every night.

"I approach every game like it's my last -- that's my philosophy," said Schenderling. "Fortunately things went my way (Friday) and the team got the win.

"I'm really hard on myself. I expect really high things of myself. When I work hard, I know things are going to go my way."

Schenderling probably should have made it a four in the points column Friday at the Brandt Centre. Four minutes into the second period with the Broncos leading 2-1, Schenderling took a cross-ice feed from defenceman Eric Doyle right in front of the net, but failed to drive the puck past goaltender Linden Rowat into a wide-open left side of the net.

"I was expecting it, then it didn't look like it was coming through," Schenderling said with a chuckle. "Then I lost my footing and couldn't put it in. We just stayed focused."

Even without that extra insurance, the Broncos will live to see another day. Game 6 goes Sunday in Swift Current.