PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fans Have Quiet Night

Scout
03-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Pats put up a fight as fans have quiet night
Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, March 31, 2007
Regina Pats fans -- if they can be defined as such -- were quieter than a mimes' convention Friday.

They should be embarrassed.

Well over 5,000 passive Pats supporters somehow allowed themselves to be drowned out by two rows of Swift Current Broncos loyalists -- who celebrated their team's 3-2 WHL playoff victory at the Brandt Centre.

Basic mathematics was not applicable on this evening. Broncos fans established that 40 is greater than 5,600.

Throughout an enjoyable game, they bellowed "Let's Go Broncos!'' They kept chanting, and chanting, and chanting ...

Meanwhile, Pats fans demonstrated why their home venue was once dubbed the "Agritomb'' by former Moose Jaw broadcaster Don Chapman.

It was sad -- except, of course, for the denizens of Swift Current who made the 250-kilometre trek on Friday.

One day earlier, Broncos captain Myles Rumsey outlined some of his team's objectives for Game 5 of a best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal -- a series which Regina led 3-1 after winning back-to-back games in Swift Current.

Rumsey told me that: (a) The Broncos intended to play a "greasy road game'' and New Jersey Devils-style hockey; and, (b) They wanted to take the crowd out of the game.

So what happened? The Broncos and Pats collaborated to produce one of the most entertaining games Regina hockey fans have witnessed this season.

After the first period, each team had 15 shots on goal. One gentleman who witnessed Tuesday's and Wednesday's games at the Centennial Civic Centre confided that Friday's first period included "more chances than both games in Swift Current.''

The first period also featured more chanting. Broncos fans were emboldened by their team's 2-1 first-period lead. Pats fans, by comparison, had less intensity than a Merv Griffin concert.

The divergence in crowd support bordered on the comical.

Classic example: During a stoppage in play at 13:48 of the second period, the "Let's Go Broncos!'' chant resumed. The only response from the Pats side was the momentary elevation of the noise level on the public-address system.

With 2:12 left in the third period, a timeless classic -- "Let's Get Loud'' -- shook the speakers. Few people with allegiances to the Pats got the message.

Ten seconds later, the scoreboard encouraged the locals to chant "Go Pats Go!'' They did respond with some vigour, but only for a few seconds. Play resumed. Pats fans returned to a somnolent state.

Even so, the crowd noise did not abate.

"Let's Go Broncos!'' And on it went ...

Electronically, Pats functionaries tried everything. The "Make Some Noise!'' imploration appeared on the scoreboard with 20.5 seconds remaining.

Only the Broncos fans took it to heart. One fan banged a drum. Somebody else activated a siren. As the final seconds ticked away, the noise emanating from Section 103 intensified.

During the three-star selections, two Broncos -- Levi Nelson and Jeremy Schenderling -- saluted their fans. Meanwhile, Pats patrons were scurrying for the exits, despondent over their team's failure to clinch a series at home for the first time since 1991.

At least the Pats players put up a spirited fight. The same cannot be said of their alleged fans.

Bran
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
I generally like Rob Vanstone, but I wonder if we were watching the same game last night?!? He is about the only person I can think of who thinks that Pats fans actually had something to cheer about last night...I haven't seen them look so out of it in months. Just because the score was close and the boys picked it up in the third does not mean that that was an entertaining game. Maybe if you were a Bronco fan...

The thing I don't get about games at the Brandt Centre...Pats fans can go into another building and are loud and rowdy and whatever, games at home, you just don't get that. Could be that it's the more vocal fans that go to those out of town games and at home they're dispersed through a large crowd. (That group of fans from Swift wouldn't have been so loud if they weren't all sitting together...not to take anything away from them). Give the fans something to cheer about and, generally, they will. Still...liven it up a little! A lot of these people go to Rider games, cheer until they can't talk, then go to a Pats game and sit on their hands! The team took a huge step by lowering their season ticket prices (especially the student tickets) but they need to stop catering to people who want to sit and watch in silence. I think they're afraid of alienating those people since they probably make up most of the season ticket base. Truth is, a lot of those people are very into it and, while they may complain, most won't stop coming.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-31-2007, 10:05 PM
I generally like Rob Vanstone, but I wonder if we were watching the same game last night?!? He is about the only person I can think of who thinks that Pats fans actually had something to cheer about last night...I haven't seen them look so out of it in months. Just because the score was close and the boys picked it up in the third does not mean that that was an entertaining game. Maybe if you were a Bronco fan...

The thing I don't get about games at the Brandt Centre...Pats fans can go into another building and are loud and rowdy and whatever, games at home, you just don't get that. Could be that it's the more vocal fans that go to those out of town games and at home they're dispersed through a large crowd. (That group of fans from Swift wouldn't have been so loud if they weren't all sitting together...not to take anything away from them). Give the fans something to cheer about and, generally, they will. Still...liven it up a little! A lot of these people go to Rider games, cheer until they can't talk, then go to a Pats game and sit on their hands! The team took a huge step by lowering their season ticket prices (especially the student tickets) but they need to stop catering to people who want to sit and watch in silence. I think they're afraid of alienating those people since they probably make up most of the season ticket base. Truth is, a lot of those people are very into it and, while they may complain, most won't stop coming.

It is like that here in Saskatoon as well(it does not help the fact that the CUC has a capacity of 11,310) and they can not get the attendance over 5,000 for a long period of time,or even a couple of games. I went on 2 roadtrips with the Blades Booster club this season and yes the die-hards are the ones that go on these trips so that is why they are louder at away games,this is something that also puzzles me and something I can only do so much about.