PDA

View Full Version : Yaaaaaaa, the Pats did it

luv_the_pats
04-01-2007, 09:53 PM
yeehoo WE WON IN OVERTIME yeehoo GREAT GAME BOYS !!!!!!!!!

Fight Guy
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Though it seemed like Swift Current outplayed the Pats, I will go out and say that the Pats almost deserved it more. They killed off almost 6 straight power plays except for the one PP goal for the Broncos, which I really don't think Festerling deserved at all. I did not agree with the officiating at all. It was very one sided. But I'm not going to complain about it now, because there is no point. PATS WIN! Broncos worked hard though, and the fans were sure proud of them, and deservingly so.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Yes the Pats did play a great game,but I missed the first 3 periods do too a floor hockey game,but I am so happy that I caught the overtime,and my prediction for this series is bang on correct!!!!! Now some time to rest and refocus for round # 2.

luv_the_pats
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
What a game, I am so excited for the boys yeehoo yeehoo . They sure deserved the win, can't wait to watch the highlights tonite.
Anyone know what happened to Rumsay??

Fight Guy
04-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Leg injury after a collision/hit. Can't remember, but he was literally carried off the ice and it didn't look good.

JDubb
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Great job Pats!!! 8 Powerplays for SC and 2 for Regina by my unofficial count while watching the live feed. Two kills in OT were huge.

As for the Rumsey situation, I am not sure, but he went into the boards awkwardly when Festerling got his penalty (which SC scored on) and then apparently he collided with Leffler (I didn't see the full thing and of course there are no replays) and right away he was holding his left knee (I think) and they called out the trainer, but their trainer was already tending to Leovold so the Pats trainer came out and 3 broncos helped him off, with no weight on his leg.

I also believe that leovold did not return after blocking a shot.

Anyway, enough about them, way to battle all the penalty kills and take what we could. Six seconds left in overtime sending us to the second round. Leffler battling in front of the net. I also thought that Rowat was great tonight and was the reason we won as Moir was also very strong for the Broncos.

I am hoping that Red Deer wins their series as I would like to make a Brandon road trip if possible for the second round, but see what happens.

Bran
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Way to go, boys!! 6 seconds left in OT...lol I thought another period was a sure thing, I was getting nervous. As much as I love an exciting game...my nerves can't handle too much OT, especially in an important game, lol. Congrats to the Broncos, they put up a good fight in this series. At least Rod shouldn't have any problems with the fans in the next round!

What a game, I am so excited for the boys yeehoo yeehoo . They sure deserved the win, can't wait to watch the highlights tonite.
Anyone know what happened to Rumsay??
I don't know that anyone saw...it was behind the play. Maybe you can see in the highlights? Maybe someone who was there saw what happened...Hope it's nothing too serious, unfortunate way to end his junior career.

nivek_wahs
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Go Pats Go!

Andy Rooney
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Festerling didnt deserve the goal. Top playoff scorer so far in the Whl and in on most points for the pats this series. Where is the depth in scoring that the pats talked about. Festerling Mcangus and Eberle have carried this team. Where are the other lines? Saulites, Ross Ofakuny, your due! Bring it on guys,Look out Med Hat (Hmmmm or Red Deer)

nivek_wahs
04-02-2007, 02:48 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ab6076f6-64a2-4538-ab20-b357f386c8ec

Leffler lifts Pats past Broncos

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, April 02, 2007

SWIFT CURRENT -- Eight was enough for the Regina Pats.

Regina ended an eight-year drought on Sunday night by earning a berth into the second round of the playoffs with a thrilling 2-1 overtime win over the Swift Current Broncos before a gathering of 1,987 at the Centennial Civic Centre.

The Pats, who won their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal 4-2, haven't been past the first round since 1998.

"Happiest feeling of my life right now," said Brett Leffler, who buried Garrett Festerling's rebound with 6.5 seconds left in the first OT. "I can't describe it.

"We did it as a team this whole series. Swift Current battled us until Game 6. It's good for the franchise but it was a full team effort."

The game was a hard-hitting, tight-checking defensive struggle, but the biggest difference-maker for Regina was goaltender Linden Rowat. He finished with 33 saves, including nine in the extra session.

The Broncos were awarded two power plays in overtime and finished 1-for-8. The Pats had just two power plays in the game and scored on one of them.

"The penalty kill was terrific but the best penalty killer is your goaltender," noted Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "He was the guy tonight."

The game was 13:30 old before the Pats recorded their first shot on goal, matching the total of the home team. Regina opened the scoring on the power play with 3:58 left in the first period when Logan Pyett blasted a shot from the point which was kicked out by Kyle Moir, but the rebound went right to Festerling, who calmly scooped the puck into an empty net.

Regina finished the opening frame with a meager 4-3 advantage on the shot clock and a 1-0 edge on the scoreboard.

Swift Current tied it up with the man advantage at 6:05 of the second frame when Eric Doyle's point shot hit a body in front and skipped past netminder Rowat. The goal was credited to Levi Nelson.

From there, Moir and Rowat combined to keep the game tied for the next 34 minutes.

"I can't believe it's over," said Rowat, who's in his first season as a WHL starter. "I'm really glad we didn't have to go to Game 7 because they've been playing great. Swift Current turned on their game ever since we (beat them) 4-0 in that first game. They've been a tough contender. I'm really glad we got it done tonight in overtime."

The Broncos were forced to play nearly two full periods without two key players. The crippling blow came at 6:33 of the second period when captain Myles Rumsey, the team's top shut-down D-man, had to be helped off the ice. He was unable to place any weight on his left leg.

Earlier in the frame, gritty forward Brady Leavold literally crawled to his bench after blocking a shot. Neither player returned.

The Broncos outshot Regina 11-3 in the second period but could only get one past Rowat, who stoned Zack Smith on a partial breakaway at the midpoint of the frame. Smith was hooked up by Colten Teubert, resulting in a power play. Geordie Wudrick had the best chance of the man advantage but he fanned while staring at the open side.

The shots were 15-7 in favour of Swift Current after 40 minutes, but the Pats came out firing in the second. The best early chance belonged to Kaspars Saulietis, who was robbed twice on Moir's doorstep.

Logan Pyett rung a shot off the post with 5:57 left in regulation. The Broncos nearly scored a mad scramble in front of Rowat with 2:46 left, but he was able to pull the loose puck off the goal line.

"I'm proud," Broncos head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth said of his troops. "We probably deserved better but that's the game of hockey. I don't think any of them should hang their heads."

But they were, especially Moir and forward Jeremy Schenderling, who lingered on the ice and waved to the fans while the rest of their teammates had gone to the dressing room. Both were playing their final game in the WHL.

"It's heartbreaking, the worst feeling ever," said Schenderling, holding back tears. "I just want to thank Dean for giving me the opportunity to play. Without him I wouldn't be where I am today. I love everyone back in the dressing room."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
04-02-2007, 03:05 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=654b90eb-0f72-4946-9c6e-2a3e4c1bc7f8

Parker calm after letting off some steam

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, April 02, 2007
SWIFT CURRENT -- Regina Pats general manager Brent Parker was not enamoured with Sunday's calls, until the final one.

"It's Russ,'' Parker said while answering his Blackberry following the Pats' 2-1 overtime conquest of the Swift Current Broncos at the Centennial Civic Centre.

"I'm surprisingly calm,'' the Pats' GM told his Calgary-based father -- team owner Russ Parker -- as 1,987 spectators shuffled out of the arena.

Brent Parker did not look like a man whose team had just won a Western Hockey League playoff series for the first time since 1998. It was reasonable to expect jubilation, heel-clicking, etc.

Not on this emotionally draining night.

"I'm spent,'' Parker said after the Pats ended a best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal in six intensely contested games.

Parker has spent more than enough of his money after incurring fines for rather acerbic public critiques of the officials. With that in mind, and in light of the circumstances, Parker refrained from blasting referees Chris Savage and Kyle Rehman -- at least in the presence of a rumpled scribe.

However, Parker can expect to hear from WHL headquarters after being assessed a game misconduct shortly after the Pats won.

"I didn't like some of the obstacles we had to overcome, let's put it that way,'' said Parker, whose team was undeterred despite receiving eight of 10 minor penalties, including both infractions in overtime.

"We'll save the rest for a conversation tomorrow.''

Might that conversation be with an authority figure within the Calgary-based WHL?

"I'll leave it for you to determine that,'' Parker said, "but it will be a 403 area code.''

In some respects, the nature of Sunday's game will ultimately work to the Pats' advantage.

The Pats overcame a series of impediments to post a series-clinching victory in hostile environs. Imagine the dividends that kind of positive reinforcement will pay for a developing team.

The Pats' proclivity for penalties forced goaltender Linden Rowat to repel a succession of shots from in close. At 17, Rowat is an active participant in his first WHL postseason. Entering the series, it was speculated that Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir -- the WHL's all-time leader in games and minutes played -- would give his team an advantage on the basis of experience.

Rowat dispelled that notion by registering a shutout in the series opener. But he saved his best game for Sunday night, when there was precious little margin for error.

"I liked our goalie a little bit tonight,'' Parker said by way of understatement.

This is not to suggest that Moir was deficient. He made some scintillating saves during the game, and even during the final flurry -- which ended when Brett Leffler buried a Garrett Festerling rebound, and the Broncos for good measure.

"Who did score?'' Parker wondered. "Was it Leffler? There were so many guys. I had no idea who scored. I saw the puck go to the net and Moir made two or three great saves. Then I heard the building go quiet, with the exception of our bench.''

And with the notable exception of the 12th-year general manager.

"I jumped out of my pants at the end,'' Parker said while fastening his belt.

In a few seconds, Parker released nine years of pent-up emotion. Shortly thereafter, he was asked how it felt to finally win a playoff series.

"I don't want to make it in any way about me,'' Parker responded. "The kids played really hard and I'm awfully proud of them. What happened in the past has no bearing on them at all.

"There are guys like Kyle Ross and Kyle Deck who went through a 12-win season. Festy (Festerling) wore his heart on his sleeve. It was something really special.

"I'm really gratified to see how happy they are.''

Deep down, Parker was probably just as happy. We can only trust that appearances were deceiving.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
04-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Keen's Korner (jonkeen.blogspot.com)

Monday, April 02, 2007
Pats Win in OT...Bronco Season Over

Well, what a game.

Unfortunately it's the end of the line for the Broncos who fall in six games to the Regina Pats in the first round playoff series. Brett Leffler's overtime winner with a scramble in front gave the Pats a 2-1 overtime win and series victory is six.

Myles Rumsey.... tough break. He left the game in the 2nd period with a serious knee injury, the first word from the Broncos is that it could be an MCL injury.

I have my work at the radio station to do this morning. I will post more of a game and series recap later this morning... check back.

Best of luck Pats,

Jon

posted by Jon Keen at 6:02 AM