PDA

View Full Version : Matsuoka as ref...

Bob in Everett
03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
There were very few calls in that last game, Matsuoka seemed to be aware of what was going on and only called a handful of penalties keeping the game going more than usual.

ihlemic10
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
He seems to be calling things better this year than he did during the playoffs last year. He was terrible during the playoffs and especially during the MH games. This year he is on par with the rest of the them for being consitantly bad.

Bob in Everett
03-02-2005, 11:24 PM
they always miss the obvious stuff and call the stuff that never happened?

ihlemic10
03-02-2005, 11:37 PM
exactly. I also think that they are trained to look busy or not to bother showing up at all like earlier this year when we were missing a Linesmam at the game. That was sad, everytime the puck got iced, I thought there was a penalty being called because the Ref only made a sorta different hand motion near the end of the game for it. Refs in this league need a good kick in the pants if you ask me.

Tipped Off
03-03-2005, 10:16 AM
I would hate to see what would happen if this team actually was a losing team. People around here complain about the refs more than any place I've ever been. All in all the refs are actually doing a good job. Things people boo about at our games is ridiculous. The place chanted "ref you suck" on the hit on Wuchturl the other day & that was a perfectly clean hit.

As for the game we had two refs... do you even know the circumstances behind it? These guys aren't flown into every game...they have to drive. In that particular case the ref did a night game in Portland the night before and because I-5 north was SHUT DOWN he was stranded on the freeway. He actually showed up in the arena before the third period but the head ref, correctly so in my opinion, decided not to disrupt the flow of the game by bringing in the linesman when the first two periods were done without him.

Listen, I am in no away affiliated with any refs, I'm just tired of people complaining about the Everett fans lack of knowledge and their constant whining. The problem is, we give them ammunition.

tazndevil
03-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Some excellent points being made on both sides, but I'd like to chip in my 2 cents. Matsuoka was here last night for the game against Med. Hat, and at rimes he had both benches screaming at him for non calls.

Matsuoka isn't one to call the cheap penalty or the make up call. He calls the ones that either cause or take away scoring chances. Not always, don't get me wrong. I feel that he's one of the most consistent refs in the league, and that makes him one of the best. He's not a Zalaski or Herman, where you're wondering what will be called and what won't.

IMO, he usually calls the game fair and even and lets the boys on the ice decide the game, where other refs seem content to get their name mentioned in the papers by calling 15-20 penalties per game.

Personally, I would rathger watch a game 5 on 5 with only scoring chances given or taken away called as penalties, than a game with 25 power plays and everything is called.

There is a lot more flow and overall exciting hockey when the refs aren't calling a penalty ever 10 seconds.

That said, I understand your frustraton and have yelled myself hoarse at many hockey games over a lack of calls.

I feel your pain.

Just my thoughts

Taz

grumphy
03-03-2005, 12:14 PM
IMO, he usually calls the game fair and even and lets the boys on the ice decide the game, where other refs seem content to get their name mentioned in the papers by calling 15-20 penalties per game.

This is my opinion also, and I usally try to grade the reffing in every game, he is one of the very few that the players going in should know what he is going to call and what he will let go, and it is the same in the third or OT as it is in the first.

I think his games have a lot more flow, a lot less whistles, and are far more intertaining to watch. The only frustrating thing is he sure is slack on the clutching & grabing.

Tipped Off
03-03-2005, 12:32 PM
The only frustrating thing is he sure is slack on the clutching & grabing.

Which we as Everett fans should like!