PDA

View Full Version : Keens Korner Bronco Season over Update

Scout
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Keen's Korner

Monday, April 02, 2007
Pats Win in OT...Bronco Season Over **Update**

Well, what a game.

Unfortunately it's the end of the line for the Broncos who fall in six games to the Regina Pats in the first round playoff series. Brett Leffler's overtime winner with a scramble in front gave the Pats a 2-1 overtime win and series victory is six.

Myles Rumsey.... tough break. He left the game in the 2nd period with a serious knee injury, the first word from the Broncos is that it could be an MCL injury.

It was sad to see the Broncos depart the ice for the final time this season. Of course you feel for the three graduating players in Rumsey, Jeremy Schenderling, and Kyle Moir. Each have left their mark with this team over the last 4-5 years.
----

The Pats deserve credit for winning all three games at the Civic Center in this series. That was the difference no doubt. They may have looked a bit lacklustre at times but did what they had to do to win this series and move on. They also were forced to kill 8 penalties - including two in overtime just to get the opportunity to win it in OT. I didn't know this 'till this morning but Pats General Manager Brent Parker picked up a Game Misconduct for his actions following the game. He said in the LeaderPost he was upset over the obstacles his team had to overcome to win the game and must have taken out some frustrations on referee Chris Savage and Kyle Rehman.
-----

If Regina continues to get solid goaltending they could be a 2nd round threat depending on who they match-up against. I like their depth too. They are a team that could survive a couple of key injuries.
----

So who's our playoff MVP? I think you have to give Levi Nelson some consideration but Jeremy Schenderling would be my choice. His five goals and two assists led the team. So did his inspired play.
----

I will look try to get a hold of what will be a dejected Myles Rumsey. He'll take this loss hard despite doing all he could. The Broncos will spend the next couple days with meetings and outgoing fitness testing. I'll be taking a look at the future of some of these players and also talk to Broncos Head Coach and G.M. Dean Chynoweth on this past season, playoffs and next year. Rememeber, he's yet (to my knowledge) renew his contract for next season. The Board of Governors have said they will be evaluating the season once it's over. That would lead me to believe there should be some meetings this week.
----

I introduced myself to Rob Vanstone of the LeaderPost last night. He's a great writer. I love his sarcasm in his articles. I still remember some Rider columns he wrote where he referred to the Riders "punt-orientated offense" or his 1st down, 2nd down, ROUGE! article from a couple seasons ago. Funny stuff. He told me he has bookmarked my blog.... I'm honoured!
----

There is a silver lining to the Broncos being bounced in the 1st round. The Civic Center expansion project can now get into full force. They can blow out the back wall and gets started on the wraparound seating and luxury boxes.
-----

Over the next couple days, I'll post the transcripts of my interviews with some of the players and coaches. I'm assuming Chairman of the Board Joe Arling will weigh in at some point. I will also profile some of the returning players for next season and what to expect. Safe to say, I like next year's team a lot.
-----

Playoffs continue for me. I'm planning to check out game seven tomorrow night in Medicine Hat between the Tigers and Rebels. Should be great! With that said I'll continue to weigh in on the rest of the WHL playoffs.
-----

That's it for now . . . . be checking back for updates.

Jon