PDA

View Full Version : Ross likes the rough stuff (LP Article)

nivek_wahs
04-03-2007, 03:45 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=cce8dd2c-f7f9-4b03-8fce-b62a16ab9928

Ross likes the rough stuff

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Brett Leffler scored the knockout punch for the Regina Pats, but it was defenceman Nick Ross who landed the decisive body blows in a first-round playoff triumph over the Swift Current Broncos.

Ross softened up the Broncos with a relentless physical assault in the sixth and deciding game of a best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal. Regina clinched the series on Sunday night when Leffler broke a 1-1 draw with 6.5 seconds left in overtime.

"Game 6 to me was the best game (Ross) has played as a Pat," offered GM Brent Parker. "For him, it was a real huge step. You find out a lot about players in those situations and he really rose to the forefront."

As Ross stepped forward, the Broncos were forced to make a calculated retreat.

"He certainly must have had their guys keeping their heads up coming down his side," said Parker. "He threw at least three huge hits and there was another three or four near misses."

The 17-year-old Lethbridge native possesses a repertoire that allowed him to excel in every aspect of Sunday's game. In fact, Ross's poise with the puck was exceeded only by his ability to separate opponents from it.

"It was probably one of my better games," said the 6'1", 195-pound Ross. "I hit a few guys pretty good. I just felt like I was in a zone. Everything seemed to be clicking out there. My confidence is probably as high right now as it has been in a really long time."

Ross has often shown flashes of his talent for delivering open-ice hits, highlighted earlier this season by a torpedo-like blow on Kootenay Ice defenceman John Negrin. Ross, who's also adept at throwing hip checks, built upon his reputation Sunday with an array of body blows, including a second-period shot on Daniel Rakos, who crossed the blueline with his head down -- and paid for it.

"The next time, I'm pretty sure he dumped it in," noted Ross, who made a conscious effort to step up his physical game. "Over a seven-game series, the more physical you can be, it just wears the other team down."

Ross and Craig Schira have combined to become one of the better shut-down pairings in the WHL this season. Both are effective two-way rearguards, but their main area of emphasis is preventing goals, not scoring them.

"No one cares who scores the goal, you just want to make sure you win the game," explained Ross, who finished the series with four assists and a team-best plus-six rating. "Me and Schira talked about it, we just wanted to make sure we didn't get scored on and that we made good breakout passes. We were mainly focusing on playing defence."

With a physical edge, to boot.

"Ever since I was little, even in atom when there wasn't really hitting, I liked to play a physical game," offered Ross, a top prospect for the 2007 NHL entry draft. "I think I've learned over time when to throw (the big hit) and when to not go for it. (The coaches) have helped me out a lot with that. There were a couple times last year in the playoffs against (Devin) Setoguchi when it kind of cost us (in a first-round loss to the Saskatoon Blades). I think as I got older I got a bit better in picking my spots."

Ross's on-ice maturity defies his age in much the same way that his punishing style is the antithesis of his laid-back demeanor. Both traits have served him well.

"He reminds me of (ex-Pat) Brad Stuart because his panic (level) with the puck is quite low," added Parker. "Sometimes you wonder if there's a pulse there -- good and bad. Because he has such an easy way about him, he looks like maybe he almost isn't trying some nights."

Looks can be deceiving.

"I truly think Nick cares," added the GM. "He has played some good games and by his own admission at times has been a little bit inconsistent. I think sometimes you need to learn how to be that (big-game) player. He definitely has a poise about him that's beyond his years and when he plays like he did (Sunday) he certainly looks like a seasoned veteran."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007