PDA

View Full Version : Pats play waiting game

nivek_wahs
04-03-2007, 03:49 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=03ee137a-779a-4de2-a6a5-70cb7c8964e5

Pats play waiting game

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, April 03, 2007

And now they wait.

The Regina Pats, whose second-round playoff opponent remains TBA, took Monday off and are expected to limit their activities today to an off-ice workout at the Brandt Centre. Regina earned the extra rest by eliminating the Swift Current Broncos in six games, capping the best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal on Sunday night with a 2-1 overtime decision.

The Pats are slated to resume practice on Wednesday, at which time an opponent may have emerged from a group comprising the Medicine Hat Tigers, Calgary Hitmen and Brandon Wheat Kings.

"It'll come in due time," said head coach Curtis Hunt, who's slated to attend tonight's game in Medicine Hat. "We don't want to over-think it. We want to enjoy this (break) with a business-like mentality. (Assistant) Terry (Perkins) and I came in (Monday) and started talking about our game and what we need to touch on. We've done the 'if' scenarios but we'll enjoy the days (off) we've earned."

Had Regina lost Sunday, it would have forced a Game 7 tonight at the Brandt Centre. Instead, the Pats have earned a welcome reprieve from the physical and mental rigours of postseason hockey.

"It's so important," said Hunt, who places the onus on his players to look after their bodies away from the rink. "That's your asset. Take care of your mind, take care of your body and we'll come back Wednesday knowing who we are going to play and start preparing accordingly."

Regina's playoff picture looks like this: If the Medicine Hat Tigers defeat the Red Deer Rebels in Game 7 tonight, they'll earn a second-round date with Regina. If the Rebels prevail and the Calgary Hitmen knock off the Kootenay Ice in Game 7 on Wednesday, Regina meets the Hitmen. If Red Deer and Kootenay win, the Pats will face off against the Wheat Kings, who needed just five games to eliminate the Prince Albert Raiders.

Regardless of the opponent, Hunt believes his team learned some valuable lessons against Swift Current.

"We had some guys who really stepped up and paid the price," he said. "I can tell you until I'm blue in the face that it takes four games to win a series ... but as a player you need to experience it. I wish we had won Game 5, but the truth of it is it's an important experience. It's something to draw on. It's not just me preaching. Now they're preaching because they know it, they lived it."

The Tigers, Rebels, Hitmen and Ice are the ones living it now as they prepare to go the distance in their respective series. While those teams continue to pound away at each other, the Pats and Wheat Kings can take full advantage of the opportunity to rest and wait.

"We feel fortunate," said Hunt. "From my understanding right now, we're as healthy as you can be considering the time of year."

- - -

Pats GM Brent Parker will learn later this week if he'll be fined by the WHL for the game misconduct he incurred following Game 6.

The penalty was a result of a brief exchange with referees Kyle Rehman and Cory McLean while passing them in the hallway. The officials' room at the Centennial Civic Centre was located directly beside Regina's dressing room.

"More has been made out of that (than what actually occurred)," said Parker, who spoke to WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen on Monday. "I didn't even think there should have been anything made of it at all. They (the officials) made a comment, I made a comment and that was the end of it. I didn't go visit the referees' room or anything like that."

Parker was upset by the fact that Swift Current was awarded eight power plays on Sunday, including two in overtime. The Pats had just two opportunities, all in regulation.

"Anybody that had even a minuscule knowledge of hockey could understand why we might have been a little concerned," added Parker. "We had to overcome some circumstances and some adversity that any team shouldn't have to overcome, but that's the game. We were able to find a way to come out on top. Those kind of things do make you stronger and I believe it will make us a better team down the road."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007