PDA

View Full Version : Arena location debate continues

nivek_wahs
04-03-2007, 04:02 AM
http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5222.php

Arena location debate continues
By SEAN ROONEY
Apr 3, 2007, 01:27

After three more months of research and consultation it appears city council has pretty much the same set of options for a new arena as it did in January.
That’s despite a push from owners of the Box Springs Business Park to get their location considered and resounding public feedback against the proposed Maple Avenue location.
“Absolutely disappointed,” said BSBP owner John Hashem when told the New Arena Steering Committee recommended a Southlands location, while city administration agreed with GEC Architecture that the Flats, followed by the Family Leisure Centre were the best choices. “Especially on the basis we’ve got a hotel to come on side, we thought that would be a real positive thing. Also for the purpose of more development. We’ve always been arguing against the Flats site. As far as Southlands that’s a well-developed area, however there isn’t much room for more development up there, it’s almost gone.”
There was already plenty of opinion about the recommendations Monday. Like the options presented, much of it was formed months ago after GEC’s initial presentation to council.
“I absolutely still think the downtown location is a bad choice,” said Medicine Hat and District Chamber of Commerce chair Jason Mutschler. “The residents of Medicine Hat have overwhelmingly said that they don’t want it downtown, and I think clearly the two choices and my opinion are still Leisure Centre or Box Springs.”
GEC reported that 81 per cent of 827 questionnaire respondents in its community consultation process agreed with Mutschler that a location in the Flats is not preferable.
“It was felt that there would be increased traffic congestion, insufficient parking and that a project of this nature would not likely provide any meaningful revitalization of the downtown area,” said the study.
Not everyone is against the recommendations. Jamie White, a local business owner who was also part of the New Arena Steering Committee, supports the downtown location even though the committee as a whole concluded otherwise.
“Economic development plays a huge part in it,” said White. “There is no spinoff for economic development when you’re putting these arenas on the cheapest land on the outskirts of town.”
White also pointed out that parking likely wouldn’t be free if the city had to build the estimated 2,100 spots required at either the Box Springs or Family Leisure Centre locations.
“You start parking in a 15-acre parking lot that cost $15 million to build, there’s going to have to be some return.”
Medicine Hat Tigers owners Brent and Darrell Maser — who are also on the New Arena Steering Committee — didn’t attend last Tuesday’s final committee meeting but are alleged in the administrative review to be in support of a downtown arena as well. They have yet to comment publicly on the process which would see their team move out of the 36-year-old, 4,006-seat Arena.
Perhaps the only development that received much support Monday was Ald. Graham Kelly’s announcement that public hearings will be held on the issue. No date or time is set for the meetings, but it was music to the ears of Frank Devine, who’s been actively petitioning for hearings.
“I think that’s great that Graham Kelly has offered to do that,” said Devine.
Still, he was disappointed in the lack of any clear direction as to what the city will do next.
“It’s quite apparent to me that some of these (aldermen) are now trying to buy votes,” said Devine. “They’re very wishy-washy.”

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com

nivek_wahs
04-13-2007, 03:30 AM
http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5315.php

New arena?
By Medicine Hat News
Apr 13, 2007, 01:38

There were a lot of opinions thrown about in Thursday’s public hearing into a new arena, and there might be just as many about how the hearing went.
Citizens packed council chambers to be heard and gain information about a possible replacement to the 36-year-old Arena, which has hosted in excess of 180 straight sellouts for Western Hockey League games and where the Tigers have a waiting list in excess of 2,500 for season tickets.
Depending on who you talked to afterwards, it was easy to get alternating viewpoints.
“All I’ve really heard are people with dissatisfaction about the whole arena issue,” said John Mclaren. “There’s a lot of emotion in this issue, so we’re getting a little off the subject. We’re talking about The Esplanade, we’re talking about downtown development, we’re talking about many other issues. That shows the emotion involved.”
“I think it’s a good idea the public knows what’s going about,” offered Lloyd Kaglea. “I guess there’s different opinions.”
While many of those exiting council chambers refused comment or didn’t want their names published, it was clear there was still plenty to talk about.
As far as Mario Rossetto was concerned, the meeting didn’t live up to his expectations.
“I was hoping to get more out of it,” he said. “I wanted to know where citizens of Medicine Hat were standing on the issues.”
Asked what benefit the meeting was, many respondents instead chose to voice their opinion on various aspects of new arena. Being heard ultimately seemed to be the main goal of many who showed up.
“We’re really glad that they have decided not to have it downtown,” said Millie Moch, referring to a group out of the Medicine Hat Curling Club. “From what I’m seeing now, the Brier Park (is a good idea). Just today we took a drive and went to the area they’re proposing south of Southridge. I really don’t see a large enough area, I see a lot of land that’s wet, there used to be swampland there, I think I’d be very cautious about being there.”
Still, the biggest message afterwards was that there were still many questions hanging as Monday’s council meeting nears.
“We need that arena, but can we afford it?” asked Marion Stein. “If my taxes go up 18 per cent, that’s a lot of money.

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com