PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft

Red celtic
04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
I have a few questions for people to ponder now that we are out of the playoffs.
1. Do we attempt to do a trade with the Oil Kings or do we wait for the expansion draft and see who they take off our non protected roster?
2. Who do you see us trading if we trade and who do you see us protecting if we wait for the expansion draft?
You can protect 15 player over the age of 16 so the drafted players from 2006 and 2007 are excluded from the expansion draft.

SectionNDeserter
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
From this year's roster players I would protect:

Brandon Sutter - Self-explanitory
Brett Sutter - I think there is a good chance he will be back, since his rights are owned by the Flames :D
Cullen Morin - Speedy, puck moving defensemen seem to be the name of the game with blueliners in the new NHL/WHL.
Mike Berube - A monster in front of the net and on the boards, a good scapper that works hard every night. Plus I would miss his family. ;)
Joel Kot - This guy could be our #1 defenseman next season if Sutter doesn't make any moves to bring someone in from outside next season.
James Reimer - He will be a big part of our team next year.
Morgan Clark - Would seem to be our second-best goaltender currently.
Mike Scarborough - Should be one of our grittier defensemen in the next few years, has really come along nicely.
Scott Doucet - Works hard every shift, and has great speed.
Brennen Wray - I think this guy is going to have a big year next year, especially if we don't get Brett Sutter back.
Matt Fraser - He is going to be a good one, I like his mean streak.
Luke Betts - They should protect this guy because I just don't want to play AGAINST him.
Cass Mappin - Excellent faceoff man, and hits good, I think he will find the net more next season.
Spencer Edwards - Speed, speed, and more speed.
Mike Krgovich - See Spencer Edwards.

Guys I wouldn't protect:

Patrick Kozyra - Isn't as good at moving the puck or making plays as Joel Kot is, and isn't quite as sound defensively as Scarborough, and is a year older than both of them.
Karey Pieper - If he were 18 or 19 I would protect him in a second.
Pierre-Paul Lamoureux - Hell of a guy to have in the dressing room, but waaaaaay too slow of a skater for the route the WHL is going.
Evan Pighin - I expected a LOT more points from an 18 year old rookie than he showed this season. Would like to see him back, but at the same time if he was picked up in the expansion I wouldn't be heartbroken.
Alex Poulter - Might do good next season, or he might shoot the puck directly at the goalies chest 2 or 3 hundred more times next year.
Luke Egener - With the emergence of some of the other young defensemen, and our need to trim down some of the 88's, he becomes expendable. Very soft player for a defenseman with little offensive upside, and has made a LOT of scary bad passes this year.
Zach Stebner - Seems to have some potential, but we have other better, young defensemen.
Jason Lynch - Was tough putting his name on the list, because I always like the heavyweights. Only a handful of players in the WHL that are as tough or tougher than this guy, but I don't know if he has the skill, or will get the ice time for us to keep him as an overage player.

I think another good question would be, who will our Overage players be next season? Are Pieper, Lamoureux and Lynch going to be high enough in the depth chart to warrant being kept as overage players? Anyone know of any overage players that will be 'extra' on other teams that we might swing? I have a gut feeling that with Vancouver's plethora of potential overage players next season, that if the Flames don't think JD Watt is ready for pro hockey yet, we might see him in a Rebel's jersey next year (if they aren't stinging too bad from that Cunning trade last season :D )

Shinyshoes
04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Brett Sutter - I think there is a good chance he will be back, since his rights are owned by the Flames :DLate this season, he signed a pro contract, so i would be surprised if he returns. I would put Kozyra in his place.

Apart from that, I think you are pretty close.

As for the overagers. I think Pieper will surprise a lot of people next season. He really turned it on in the latter part of the regular season, and even more so in the playoffs.

Lynch and Lamoureux, although both scare me on D, i think we will keep one or both of them around for 2 reasons.
1) we will need some form of veteran Leadership-style defenceman next season because our defence will be so Young, and they can provide that leadership role for us until a better one is brought in(trade or Draft).
2) we need them for the intimidation factor. Prior to us getting lynch (and because Lamoureux is so injury prone), other teams would take liberties with our better players. I think the number of people who do that now has been significantly reduced by Lynch's presence. Either way, lynch or lamoureux will be willing to step up to prevent the Sutter's of the team from needing to fight.

Having said that, I am almost certain that Peiper, Lamoureux, Lynch will not be our 20-year old lineup at the end of next season.

Tinner
04-04-2007, 09:01 PM
i would be surprised to see Brent protect 2 goalies. Also, the team will need some depth and the 20's next year can supply that. That said, I've always maintained that your 20's should be close to your "best" players.

SectionNDeserter
04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
As for the overagers. I think Pieper will surprise a lot of people next season. He really turned it on in the latter part of the regular season, and even more so in the playoffs.True enough, but I think to be an overage player though, you will want them to have more than 9 points in 63 games unless:

a) The player is a goalie
b) The player is a GOOD stay at home defenseman
c) There isn't anything at all better available on the free agent market.

Lynch and Lamoureux, although both scare me on D, i think we will keep one or both of them around for 2 reasons.
1) we will need some form of veteran Leadership-style defenceman next season because our defence will be so Young, and they can provide that leadership role for us until a better one is brought in(trade or Draft).Berube provides this, and doesn't scare me every time the puck is on his stick. The problem I have with Lynch and Lamoureaux in a Leadership role, is that it is hard to be a Leader on a team, when you are the #6 or 7 defenseman (which is where they might fit into next year's team).

2) we need them for the intimidation factor. Prior to us getting lynch (and because Lamoureux is so injury prone), other teams would take liberties with our better players. I think the number of people who do that now has been significantly reduced by Lynch's presence. Either way, lynch or lamoureux will be willing to step up to prevent the Sutter's of the team from needing to fight.Lynch can handle this, but he seems to lack the skill to play on the line with our best players, which makes it difficult for him to protect them--at least at the time when someone might be taking liberties with them. Lamoureux will fight absolutely anyone, but I don't think he is really scaring anyone. Berube punched out Mike Reich a half dozen times or so this season and some other pretty tough middleweights, he could be able to handle this role as well.

hockey4
04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
From this year's roster players I would protect:

Mike Berube - A monster in front of the net and on the boards, a good scapper that works hard every night. Plus I would miss his family. ;)

Guys I wouldn't protect:

Luke Egener - With the emergence of some of the other young defensemen, and our need to trim down some of the 88's, he becomes expendable. Very soft player for a defenseman with little offensive upside, and has made a LOT of scary bad passes this year.
)

I would switch these two. Berube really got lit up this series, ZERO speed. Eghner edleast has better skating ability, and i think overall more reliable than berube

SectionNDeserter
04-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't anticipate both Berube and Egener being on the team next year. Berube didn't really get lit up any worse than Egener did in that series. Egener can skate very marginally better than Berube and is about the same positionally, but he makes terrible passes, and he is softer than Ricky Martin at the Playboy mansion. Neither one of them are game breaking players, so given the choice between the two, I would take the one that has character, and is willing to actually stick up for his teammates, rather than just standing there watching. I think there is a chance that both of them will wind up being exposed in the expansion draft though.

Shinyshoes
04-04-2007, 10:28 PM
softer than Ricky Martin at the Playboy mansion. SNC, ugh.......You are freekin' TERRIBLE!

RebelsFan
04-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Brandon Sutter - Self-explanitory
Brett Sutter - I think there is a good chance he will be back, since his rights are owned by the Flames
Cullen Morin - Speedy, puck moving defensemen seem to be the name of the game with blueliners in the new NHL/WHL.
Mike Berube - A monster in front of the net and on the boards, a good scapper that works hard every night. Plus I would miss his family.
Joel Kot - This guy could be our #1 defenseman next season if Sutter doesn't make any moves to bring someone in from outside next season.
James Reimer - He will be a big part of our team next year.
Morgan Clark - Would seem to be our second-best goaltender currently.
Mike Scarborough - Should be one of our grittier defensemen in the next few years, has really come along nicely.
Scott Doucet - Works hard every shift, and has great speed.
Brennen Wray - I think this guy is going to have a big year next year, especially if we don't get Brett Sutter back.
Matt Fraser - He is going to be a good one, I like his mean streak.
Luke Betts - They should protect this guy because I just don't want to play AGAINST him.
Cass Mappin - Excellent faceoff man, and hits good, I think he will find the net more next season.
Spencer Edwards - Speed, speed, and more speed.
Mike Krgovich - See Spencer Edwards.

I don't care what people say about the new WHL/NHL size is still somewhat of a factor. 5'11 and under would be Morin, Kot, Krgovich, Edwards, Betts, Doucet, Ferraro. Do you think Sutter will coach a team with 7 players under 6'?

hockey4
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
thing is, all those kids can skate and skate well. If ur small, and just an ok skater, your ok. Sutter wouldnt have played those young kids had he not thought they could play here next year.

SectionNDeserter
04-05-2007, 06:33 AM
I don't care what people say about the new WHL/NHL size is still somewhat of a factor.Size is only useful in the new WHL/NHL if it is accompanied by a lot of speed. Size doesn't have quite as much of an impact on the game as it used to. When there was a lot more traffic (interference) that players had to power through, or were allowed to move the guys that were in front of the net, it was to your advantage to have a bit of size. With the removal of all that stuff, the only real advantage to being tall is that you typically have a good reach. Sutter will do fine with the smaller guys--as his defensive strategy (or if not, then the defensive strategy of almost every player he has acquired), has always been to play the puck with a pokecheck, rather than playing the man on a defensive play.

RebelsFan
04-05-2007, 07:43 AM
I guess we'll see at the Bantam draft this year as it is not very far away. If Sutter's first 5 draft picks are all expected to be under 5'11. Other than Joel Kot in the third and Ferraro in the first there haven't been any small early picks since the new scouting staff took over. Most of the players on your list were listed or traded for. This years team had Pighin, Betts, Doucet and Morin. Do you think Sutter will double that number for next year. The teams success this year in the playoffs was in hitting Medicine Hat at every opportunity. I don't see enough size up front for next year to do anything physical. Betts can't do it all and at that he is not very big physically to bring a "presence" to the ice. If Sutter's defensive strategy is to not take the man, the opposite is true at the other end of the rink.

SectionNDeserter
04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
I don't think that you necessarily need to be an enormous player to be able to hit. Next year's team should include Brennan Wray, Matt Fraser, Brandon Sutter, Landon Ferraro (who is listed at 6' now btw), Cass Mappin, Mike Scarborough and possibly Karey Pieper--all decent hitters. Throw in a handful of smaller hitters like Doucet and Luke Betts etc. and we shouldn't be really weak in that area. Also keep in mind that a lot of these 16 and 17 year old players are generally an inch or two bigger by the time training camp rolls around next season.

WHL Rules
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
So with Dorcett and Helm blowing by Henry and Kot at least half a dozen times in game 7 let alone the previous ones, does that make them marginal skaters. Again I will state the obvious about posters not ever playing a high calibre game of hockey, but can sit there and comment on on speed. You have no idea. Hockey4 explain to me the goals that Berube and Egener got LIT UP on. Do you consider getting LIT UP when you are trying to kill off numerous penalties that certain players kept taking. I believe Henry took 5 in the first two games, Moore took 4 in a single game. If you consider being LIT UP on penalty kills, they maybe Sutter should trade away Reimer as well, because he certainly did get LIT UP on those occassions. As far as speed goes, I believe it was Berube that caught Helm on a break away as he was coming off the bench on a bad line change from Henry and Kot. Do you watch any of the games, but you guys can keep your LITTLE Morin and KotMind you I think this kid is 10 times the Dman Morin will every be) and hope that you get to trade in someone with some experience cause I know for a fact that Berube, Egener, Lynch, Kozyra, and Mappin are not interested in playing for Sutter next season. In a developmental league you expect to to taught hockey, not screamed at constantly or be told you are a piece of sh@t twice a week, every week for six months. I can see next season Sutter having to bring in another 11 or 12 players to start rebuilding yet AGAIN as for the most part one season with Sutter is quite enough for most. You can defend him all you want with the WJC years, but the difference is those players already know the game very well (after all they are the best in the country) so no teaching was really needed.

PS. It will be interesting to see if Dallas sticks around as well, but I have my doubts, I think Sutter has crossed the line with him as well.

Great to see you back. We really missed you after the Rebels won some games. applause

Did those players tell you this? And if so, do they know that you are going to post it on a message board?

Hockey101
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
So with Dorcett and Helm blowing by Henry and Kot at least half a dozen times in game 7 let alone the previous ones, does that make them marginal skaters. Again I will state the obvious about posters not ever playing a high calibre game of hockey, but can sit there and comment on on speed. You have no idea. Hockey4 explain to me the goals that Berube and Egener got LIT UP on. Do you consider getting LIT UP when you are trying to kill off numerous penalties that certain players kept taking. I believe Henry took 5 in the first two games, Moore took 4 in a single game. If you consider being LIT UP on penalty kills, they maybe Sutter should trade away Reimer as well, because he certainly did get LIT UP on those occassions. As far as speed goes, I believe it was Berube that caught Helm on a break away as he was coming off the bench on a bad line change from Henry and Kot. Do you watch any of the games, but you guys can keep your LITTLE Morin and KotMind you I think this kid is 10 times the Dman Morin will every be) and hope that you get to trade in someone with some experience cause I know for a fact that Berube, Egener, Lynch, Kozyra, and Mappin are not interested in playing for Sutter next season. In a developmental league you expect to to taught hockey, not screamed at constantly or be told you are a piece of sh@t twice a week, every week for six months. I can see next season Sutter having to bring in another 11 or 12 players to start rebuilding yet AGAIN as for the most part one season with Sutter is quite enough for most. You can defend him all you want with the WJC years, but the difference is those players already know the game very well (after all they are the best in the country) so no teaching was really needed.

PS. It will be interesting to see if Dallas sticks around as well, but I have my doubts, I think Sutter has crossed the line with him as well.

It is sure nice to see your info Now if you were creditable we might just actually belive you! But the way you post on this board who would belive you? And you comments about having a turn over of another 11-12 players is almost laughable haha My question to is if you were that close how would you like to be treated? ( LIKE A CUPCAKE) I'll tell you this i would rather play for a hard ASS than someone that would like to baby me. Just my thinking Boogaard'd Look at passed players Vandermer, Wanvig, Armstrong,Niezner,Taylor just to name a few if it werent for the Sutter way do you think they would be in the next level? Think about that.

RebelsFan
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Sutter's methods work for Some players but by all means not all players. Joel Kot and Cullen Morin were lucky, they stepped onto the ice and had some instant success. Lets see how they are when they slump a little and Sutter starts in on them. To have Brent screaming in your ear while you are trying to do your best on the ice is not an easy thing to do. Maybe some players can deal with it but not all can. Nothing is harder for a hockey player than to go into a game nervous about your skills. When nervous you start worrying about making mistakes more than worrying about passes. If some of you would talk to the players you would know what I mean. Most of the boys would rather play a game than practice for Brent as he cannot stop a game to chew your A** out (not yet anyway). One method of coaching does not work for all players, the problem is Brent only knows one way to coach. If that doesn't work for a player, they have limited success and find themselves down the road. I would agree that there is less teaching than coaching done. It's a subtle difference to some and a huge difference to others.

hockey4
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Sutter's methods work for Some players but by all means not all players. Joel Kot and Cullen Morin were lucky, they stepped onto the ice and had some instant success. Lets see how they are when they slump a little and Sutter starts in on them. To have Brent screaming in your ear while you are trying to do your best on the ice is not an easy thing to do. Maybe some players can deal with it but not all can. Nothing is harder for a hockey player than to go into a game nervous about your skills. When nervous you start worrying about making mistakes more than worrying about passes. If some of you would talk to the players you would know what I mean. Most of the boys would rather play a game than practice for Brent as he cannot stop a game to chew your A** out (not yet anyway). One method of coaching does not work for all players, the problem is Brent only knows one way to coach. If that doesn't work for a player, they have limited success and find themselves down the road. I would agree that there is less teaching than coaching done. It's a subtle difference to some and a huge difference to others.

unless ur in the locker room, thats a tough call to make. how do you kow he only coaches one way. u just sit in ur seat and watch what he does on the bench, hardly and indication of his coaching style. they took med hat to game 7, so it cant be that bad. funny how you guys dont make comments when the rebs are winning, but after its done its open season on sutter. so your saying you talk to the rebels on a consistent basis. Funny, i know a lot of billets, and they all say hes a hardass, but the kids wouldnt want it any other way.

RebelsFan
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes, I have spoken to the some of the players and stand by what I have said. There is credibility to what Longtimefan7 has said. I am not slagging Brent Sutter in any way. I thought he coached very well against Medicine Hat and I am not here questioning his decisions for this year. I am just saying what I know to be fact. Don't forget there could be billets, family, friends and players typing on these pages. Some of the comments made in the dressing room would make your hair curl, I guarantee it. I would not betray confidences from inside the room. But don't assume, from your seat in the stands, that you have any idea what is said in the dressing room.

SectionNDeserter
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
So with Dorcett and Helm blowing by Henry and Kot at least half a dozen times in game 7 let alone the previous ones, does that make them marginal skaters.Didn't see that once in game 7, much less a half dozen times. I saw once where they were out of position and Helm got behind them and went in on a breakaway, but not blowing past them starting about 20 or 30 feet in front of them as I have with some other of the Rebels D.

Again I will state the obvious about posters not ever playing a high calibre game of hockey, but can sit there and comment on on speed.What does playing the game have to do with knowing about how fast a player is? If two players are fresh, and in skating down a puck the one player is consistantly behind the other player, that player is not as strong of a skater as the other player. This is not some sort of supreme logic that one could only acquire from playing pro hockey, this is the most basic common sense that anyone should have.

As far as speed goes, I believe it was Berube that caught Helm on a break away as he was coming off the bench on a bad line change from Henry and Kot.You must have been at a different hockey game than the rest of us! I have never seen Berube give up on a guy when he gets past him (like I have seen from some of our defense in the past), but I don't think I have ever seen him catch back up to any player this season after that player has gotten a step or two on him. Face it, he has a lot of strong qualities, but nobody is ever going to mistake him for Paul Coffey.

but you guys can keep your LITTLE Morin and KotMind you I think this kid is 10 times the Dman Morin will every be) and hope that you get to trade in someone with some experienceKeeping both would be better, they both bring something to the team--it is just something completely different. Morin and Kot have fit in well, and have a tremendous offensive upside, particularly Kot. However, neither of these guys are particularly strong on the boards, or in front of the net, which is where a guy like Berube or Lynch excels.

cause I know for a fact that Berube, Egener, Lynch, Kozyra, and Mappin are not interested in playing for Sutter next season. In a developmental league you expect to to taught hockey, not screamed at.... <random fabricated Anti-Sutter comments truncated>...Lets pretend for a minute that you are correct, and you have been hanging out in the dressing room, and in practice with them (which would be the ONLY way you would know this 'for a fact'). I notice that 3 of the 5 players you mention are players that I had listed as 'expendable', based on their Performance this season, and I don't think anyone who watched them all season could say that they are untouchable "game-breaking" players. I think we gave up waaaaaay too much for Lynch in the end, as he hasn't shown that he has the puck handling skills to be more than the 5th or 6th defenseman this season. Kozyra hasn't proven himself to be extraordinary in any way and we would get by easily without him, and Egener has improved in some facets of his game, but seems to have gotten worse in a lot of others. With some of the blueliners we have coming up, I doubt Egener will have to worry about playing for Sutter next year, as he won't even crack the lineup next year, unless he converts completely to forward(based on some rumours that I heard about him, like most of your comments), and I think Lynch would have about a 50/50 chance (based on his toughness and character). I would like to see Mappin back, as he reminds me of Betts, but with a bit more offensive upside, but like the others I don't think he will be a top player on the team next season either (but maybe the season after that). Berube easily has the most character out of that bunch, and I would miss him if he left. He is like Bryce Thoma, but with a mean streak--isn't going to put up a ton of points but not going to allow a lot either, and will stick up for his teammates.

PS. It will be interesting to see if Dallas sticks around as well, but I have my doubts, I think Sutter has crossed the line with him as well.Oooh, you are sitting in the front office and coach's meetings as well? You have been a busy boy! haha I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas move on somewhere else one of these years for other reasons though. He has been a pretty good assistant coach here for 8 years, and he really has no room for advancement in his current job (where does he advance to, unless he buys the team? :D)

SectionNDeserter
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Don't forget there could be billets, family, friends and players typing on these pages.Billets, family and friends would still be 'second hand' information with some sort of bias (especially biased when family/billets are concerned). The only way that one could have the information first hand and form their own opinion is if they are players or the coaching staff. Lifelongfan7 has already said that he played college hockey, which means he isn't one of the players, and I am pretty sure he isn't on the coaching staff.

RebelsFan
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
SectionN said

"...Billets, family and friends would still be 'second hand' information with some sort of bias (especially biased when family/billets are concerned)..."

So if I'm sitting at my kitchen table with Brandon Sutter, Brett Sutter and TeddyV and Brandon says to me " I want out, I can't take another year here" , that this is second hand information.

This scenario, while obviously made up, is in no way creating second hand information. The person sitting at the table with those three players could be billet, family, friend or team mate.

Tinner
04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Regardless of what happens, the season is over and all we can do is look forward to a more sucessful year next year. I'm sure there are players who don't want to be here and there are players who Brent doesn't want here next year. We have all agreed to some extent that Brent's style of coaching is not for all players, but until the Owner tells the GM to fire the Coach, the players will have to know and like who is the boss. As for the assistants, I think that midway though the season when Brent switched the assistants coaching duties, it may have been a hint of things to come.

Myself and many other fans have been told for the last 2-3 years that this organization was in a rebuilding mode and now it looks like we might be rebuilding another year. That in it self tells me something needs to be changed. Even Kamloops had a far better year than they said they would have and they have been the model of consistancy over the last 10 years.

So what about the future? I guess we'll all head down to the Telus Cup to watch the Midgets play as there are 3 future Rebels on that team and 1 playing with Vancouver. Certainly there may be some players that will get invitiations or even listed. The Rebels dropped Slemp from their list and I have been told that he has been one of their best players this year (better than Fraser and Mappin). Do you think Campbell can play in the WHL? What about the goalie?

Anyway, everyone has opinions and has the right to voice them. I don't neccessarily think all the opinions voiced here are right, nor wrong....they are opinions stated out of fact or stated out of frustration. Billets have opinions to and hear things that the average fan does not hear. So I put the same sense of creditability to them as I do to anyone who wants to share an opinion, but one has to decide which end of the horse its coming from.

SectionNDeserter
04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
So if I'm sitting at my kitchen table with Brandon Sutter, Brett Sutter and TeddyV and Brandon says to me " I want out, I can't take another year here" , that this is second hand information.That would be first hand information from the players themselves. What would be second hand-information is if the player said "He isn't teaching me anything, he is just screaming at me every practice!", when in fact you are merely taking the player's word for it and he could be learning plenty on the team.

canes77
04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey RD fans...
I see this Joel Kot was a 16 yr old and only played 1 game in the reg season and then had the team's highest plus minus in the playoffs... SectionNDeserter says he could the team's #1 d-man next yr, is he for real? any reason he only played 1 game all yr?

mapletoft
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Just like we anticpated this season, I think this upocoming year will be even anticipated more! I am looking forward to seeing where Brandon Sutter gets drafted - I'd love to see the Oilers draft him for controversy sake. :D

I'd be quite surprised to see Berube back next year. My guess is that Brent Sutter will trade him to the expansion Oil Kings in Edmonton for something he likes on other teams unprotected lists. I would like to see him here but I think for his career and Mike himself he would be better off elsewhere. I am thinking he has had enough of Sutter! He definitely is a great guy - especially when explaining his black eyes!

Many things to look forward to:
- two new europeans
- Sutter in the NHL draft
- 20 year olds for next year
- expansion draft

See you at training camp! :p

hockey4
04-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Myself and many other fans have been told for the last 2-3 years that this organization was in a rebuilding mode and now it looks like we might be rebuilding another year. That in it self tells me something needs to be changed. Even Kamloops had a far better year than they said they would have and they have been the model of consistancy over the last 10 years.

So what about the future? I guess we'll all head down to the Telus Cup to watch the Midgets play as there are 3 future Rebels on that team and 1 playing with Vancouver. Certainly there may be some players that will get invitiations or even listed. The Rebels dropped Slemp from their list and I have been told that he has been one of their best players this year (better than Fraser and Mappin). Do you think Campbell can play in the WHL? What about the goalie?

Anyway, everyone has opinions and has the right to voice them. I don't neccessarily think all the opinions voiced here are right, nor wrong....they are opinions stated out of fact or stated out of frustration. Billets have opinions to and hear things that the average fan does not hear. So I put the same sense of creditability to them as I do to anyone who wants to share an opinion, but one has to decide which end of the horse its coming from.

What we lose in seven games in 2005, we didnt make it in 2006 (very rebuilding) and then we lose in 7 this year and suddenly things need to change. if you think thats bad, go to swift, sask, leth, kamloops, pg, port, tri, where they either dont make it, or lose 4 straight every year. As a fan, im hardly worried. What you have to remember, is that rebuilding is not 1 year and then its done. sutter managed to compile 2 good euros which made us better than we should have been. We will likely have some new players next year, but its doesnt mean we will be a bad team. watching edwards, fraser, krygovich, ferraro, kot, morrin, clarke, this team will by no means be bad next year. What we can than is the WHL for expanding by 4 teams since the mem cup, which has done nothing but water down the league and make little parity in this league.

snapshot
04-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't care what people say about the new WHL/NHL size is still somewhat of a factor. 5'11 and under would be Morin, Kot, Krgovich, Edwards, Betts, Doucet, Ferraro. Do you think Sutter will coach a team with 7 players under 6'?

Obivously size doesn't matter if you look at the Medicine Hat Tigers. They have 12 players under 6' and they beat Red Deer. So maybe it's time to change the expectations of players rather than looking for all big players that can't skate.

hockey4
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Obivously size doesn't matter if you look at the Medicine Hat Tigers. They have 12 players under 6' and they beat Red Deer. So maybe it's time to change the expectations of players rather than looking for all big players that can't skate.

Thing is, Red Deer had the best skating team they have ever had. The bonus was that they could also hit. I dont think losing in game 7 really means all that much, or that the underdog team should look into it all that much. One bounce our way and we win game 7.

The rebels have about 4-5 solid prospects that should play next year and they are VERY GOOD skaters, the worst probably being Mappin if you ask me. You can already see the adjustments sutter has made in the last couple years, including no big lanky forwards that can just hit and cant skate.

Red celtic
04-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Looks like we won't have worry about protecting either Berube or Lynch for the upcoming expansion draft. The Friday April 6, Red Deer Advocate reported that Berube is looking for a change of address dancing pi and that Lynch would rather attend university than return as an overage defencemen. With berube wanting a trade we could move him to the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings ( If they would take him) in leu of a roster player. This would be benificial for him as he is from the Edmonton area and we would be done with the expansion draft.

The artical also indicated that if Brady Eidsness is picked in upcoming NHL draft as expected that he might decide to play at the major junior level. According to the artical Sutter is convinced that Eidsness, who remains on Red Deer's protected list , can be a No. 1 goaltender in the WHL next season. This means that we will have 2 No. 1 goaltenders one of which can be moved via trade for a quality WHL player.

If we don't move Berube or trade another player to Edmonton here are my picks to protect in the expansion draft.

Forwards
1. Brett Sutter 20 ( even though he has signed a pro contract)
2. Brandon Sutter 18
3. Brenden Wray 19
4. Scott Doucet 19
5. Luke Betts 18
6. Mike Krgovich 17
7. Spencer Edwards 17
8. Matt Fraser 17

Defence
9. Cullen Morin 18
10. Joel Kot 17
11. Mike Scarborough 17
12. Luke Egner 19

Goaltenders
13. Brady Eidsness 18
14. James Reimer 19
15. Morgan Clark 17

SectionNDeserter
04-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Looks like we won't have worry about protecting either Berube or Lynch for the upcoming expansion draft. The Friday April 6, Red Deer Advocate reported that Berube is looking for a change of address dancing pi and that Lynch would rather attend university than return as an overage defencemen.Don't really blame them. All the new defensemen coming in haven't been exactly been gritty and/or big and while I think they may have been in the long range plans, I don't think they would be as high up in the depth chart as they would like--as the team focus would seem to be on speed next season. God I hope Egener is better next season.... Lamoureux had better start putting on the foil now, if Sutter doesn't acquire some toughness over the summer.

The artical also indicated that if Brady Eidsness is picked in upcoming NHL draft as expected that he might decide to play at the major junior level. According to the artical Sutter is convinced that Eidsness, who remains on Red Deer's protected list , can be a No. 1 goaltender in the WHL next season. This means that we will have 2 No. 1 goaltenders one of which can be moved via trade for a quality WHL player. This is an interesting situation. Which goalies would we keep? Clark has a ton of potential, and Reimer is a proven and established goaltender (and is drafted by an NHL organization with an overabundance of goaltenders--so we could potentially have him back as an overager if we held on to him). Of the 3, Reimer would seem to have the most value (depending on who drafts Eidsness). Eidsness would be an 18 year old rookie next season, who had an good but not spectacular season in Okotoks this year, and would only report here last year if he was going to be a guaranteed starter.

RebelsFan
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=This is an interesting situation. Which goalies would we keep? Clark has a ton of potential, and Reimer is a proven and established goaltender (and is drafted by an NHL organization with an overabundance of goaltenders--so we could potentially have him back as an overager if we held on to him). Of the 3, Reimer would seem to have the most value (depending on who drafts Eidsness). Eidsness would be an 18 year old rookie next season, who had an good but not spectacular season in Okotoks this year, and would only report here last year if he was going to be a guaranteed starter.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have any indication of how Eidness did this season (ie stats)? Maybe Sutter is using him as trade bait? I would think that Berube would have been more tradeable before he said he didn't want to return. I would think with three goailes that are all capable that Sutter will not need to protect anyone except his projected starter (if he thinks he can convince Eidness to report). As if either Eidness or Clark get grabbed in the expansion draft he still has a very good backup.

WorkHorse
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Had an excellent year in Okotoks, but has committed to a scholarship with the University of North Dakota.

RebelsFan
04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I had thought he was committed to college that is why I am somewhat surprised by this supposed turn of events. As I said, it may be only the GM posturing for trade purposes. But, maybe another team can get him to report. Also, committed and signed are two different things.

Tinner
04-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree, I to find that interesting. Unless there's been a complete about face by both parties, the only thing that it could be is posturing by the Rebels in order to garner something or an asset in a trade. Before last years training camp, Eidness and Sutter were very far apart in terms of coming to play here. He wanted a starting position (as in the number #1 job) and Brent wasn't about to commit to that. To hear Brent talk at the time, it was like a north/south feud and we all know who the winner would be.......is!

SectionNDeserter
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
He wanted a starting position (as in the number #1 job) and Brent wasn't about to commit to that.This is the key thing here, I don't think that him and another starting calibre goaltender like Reimer could co-exist on the team, based on his requirements last summer. Reimer is already an established #1 stopper in the WHL, and Eidsness is a "pretty good" goaltender in a lower level of hockey. I think that going with Eidsness over Reimer would be a gamble (depending on what they could get for Reimer).

Shinyshoes
04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I didn't even think there was room for discussion on this topic. Do you really think Eidsness has a shot at playing in RD after his demands, and subsequent no-show at camp last year? Antics like that do not sit well with Sutter, and although Eidsness will remain on our protected list, and may even be protected in the expansion draft, he will never don a Rebels jersey. If all the stars align, and he gets drafted, and does want to play in the WHL, there is no way it would ever be for RD. He would be the trade bait and the only goaltending controversy we may have in camp next season is if Rolheiser has improved leaps and bounds over last year.

SectionNDeserter
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Do you really think Eidsness has a shot at playing in RD after his demands, and subsequent no-show at camp last year? Antics like that do not sit well with Sutter,While some players get drafted by an NHL team out of the AHL, it is a very disproportionate number compared to other tiers of junior hockey. If he does pull this off, he clearly must have some talent that a lot of scouts have seen(there are also a lot of good WHL goalies that never get drafted)--and might have been justified when he didn't show up for training camp without some sort of guarantee. Sutter has his pride like every other GM, but he isn't stupid. Ultimately though, if an NHL team drafts this guy, he is likely going to play wherever they suggest that he plays.

and although Eidsness will remain on our protected list, and may even be protected in the expansion draft, he will never don a Rebels jersey. If all the stars align, and he gets drafted, and does want to play in the WHL, there is no way it would ever be for RD. He would be the trade bait and the only goaltending controversy we may have in camp next season is if Rolheiser has improved leaps and bounds over last year.I think it is more complicated than you think. If he is drafted, and desires to play in the WHL, the Rebels will receive money for developing him if he plays here. They are going to want to get another drafted player for him, or have him play here just for the economics of it. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

rebelfan
04-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Why not trade Reimer & let Eidseness try his skills at #1 tender? He'd be fresh meat for Mr. Sutter to shred in the media to take the heat off 'his best players' ("I thought the team played well...we didn't get goaltending"). After all being shut out in 3 play off games has to be the goalie's fault. Keeping the goals against to 2 in game 7 to give the team a chance has no merit. Let's not even mention that like Cyr and Sexsmith, Rowat & Spence, of whom it is said repeatedly, they never played a minute of playoff hockey previously...did anyone know that neither had Reimer? It was certainly never mentioned. While Willie Desjardin came to the defense of Matt Keetley in his off games, Mr. Sutter roasted his goalie. Is it any wonder Keetley has responded to the trust placed in him in subsequent series? If Mr. Sutter is as unhappy with Reimer as he likes to posture to the press, he may overlook Eidsness' antics last year. He may even see it as positive aggression.

Tinner
04-22-2007, 08:16 AM
I agree with Shiny......there's no way Eidness will wear a Rebel jersey. Sutter was careful to say that he could be a number #1 goalie in the league....but not with the Rebels (thats my take, listening to what wasnt said). That said, unless there's a conflict with Reimer, I cant see him being traded. As for development money, again, Sutter isnt worried about that, its small potatoes.

A trade may bring in some talent that the Rebels may need, especially on the back end.