PDA

View Full Version : Parker cornered

nivek_wahs
04-05-2007, 02:38 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=b41260a1-2677-4cad-9058-f35f400c576b

Parker cornered
Cory Wolfe, Saskatchewan News Network
Published: Thursday, April 05, 2007
SASKATOON -- As a regular feature, StarPhoenix sports reporter Cory Wolfe gets personal with a sports figure. Today, Regina Pats general manager Brent Parker is revealed. His team is in the second round of WHL playoffs for the first time since 1998.

Wolfe: I'm a bit surprised to hear your voice, Brent. I thought you must have lost it, given that you didn't receive your first fine of the season until this week. Are you OK?

Parker: Well, it was a pretty miniscule exchange to get tapped for, to be honest with you. It was more like a passing conversation in the hallway (with referees Kyle Rehman and Cory McLean after Sunday's Game 6 in Swift Current). They said "hello" and I said "hello." We asked each other what we were doing after the game for dinner and just kept going.

Wolfe: I should tell you that we've got a three-way call going and WHL commissioner Ron Robison is on the other line.

Parker: Beautiful. (Laughs)

Wolfe: So what's kept you so sedated this season? Norah Jones albums? Warm milk?

Parker: (Laughs) I had tonsillitis all winter. No, I don't know. To use an old Daryl Lubiniecki line, I turned over a new tree.

Wolfe: You have made plenty of contributions to WHL coffers over the years. Do the Regina Pats budget for your inevitable fines?

Parker: I don't think they're always inevitable. People (confuse) someone being emotional and passionate (with) someone being a bit of a loony bin. I think I fall into the first category.

Wolfe: Who's the nicest guy in the Western Hockey League?

Parker: Well, I know I wouldn't get any votes. I don't think any of us wants to be known as the nicest guy. Hmmm ... (Prince Albert Raiders GM) Donny Clark would have to be up there.

Wolfe: He just got fined, too.

Parker: I know. That's why I like him.

Wolfe: (Laughs) What's in the top drawer of your desk right now?

Parker: A pair of sunglasses, car keys, gas coupons, way too many pens because most of them don't work, and a bucket of change.

Wolfe: Gas coupons? Times are tough?

Parker: (Laughs) They're donations.

Wolfe: What's the most starstruck you've ever been?

Parker: When I went to a party at the Playboy mansion. It was the most starstruck and intimidated I've been. We were at a Sports Summit conference and when we checked in, we each got a personalized envelope with a Playboy bunny sticker on the back. ... Speaking of my top drawer, I still have the picture of me with Hef by his pool -- purple, silk PJs.

Wolfe: Now is that you or is that Hef?

Parker: (Laughs) Nobody needs to see me in purple PJs.

Wolfe: OK. What rating would censors give to a movie about your life?

Parker: At least PG. It wouldn't be X, but it might be R.

Wolfe: It might be X if you were wearing those purple PJs.

Parker: (Laughs) Well, with our players' age, maybe it would just be rated 14-plus or whatever they call that.

Wolfe: Name four words you'd use to describe yourself to a stranger.

Parker: Passionate. Committed. Probably short-tempered. Aggressive. Can I have a fifth?

Wolfe: Yes.

Parker: Caring.

Wolfe: Awww.

Parker: I'm serious. I care about our kids.

Wolfe: I know you do. That's obvious. You do have that tough exterior, but name something in your house that might blow that cover.

Parker: There's nothing in my house that I got to have any say in. My wife decorates and puts everything up. Maybe that says something in itself.

Wolfe: Paint a picture of Brent Parker as a teenager in his room. What's he listening to and what's on the wall?

Parker: I listened to just about anything growing up (including) Trooper and later in high school, KISS and The Police. The picture wasn't pretty: fiery red hair, braces and buck teeth.

Wolfe: (Laughs) I still think being a teenager is one of the toughest gigs on the planet. What makes you nervous?

Parker: I get more nervous watching my kids perform at their events than I do for anything I do. I get nervous for (the Pats' games). It's an anxious nervous. You want to have success and it's your job. But I get nervous watching my kids because you want them to have success.

Wolfe: If you could clone someone for your team, name three attributes of real players he would possess. Here's the catch ... you can use only Moose Jaw Warriors.

Parker: OK, now I have to go get my roster and make sure I don't miss anybody because then they'll hate me even more. ... Give me the goal-scoring ability of Riley Holzapfel, Brady Calla's skating ability and (goaltender) Joey Perricone's size.

Wolfe: So you're going to make Perricone into a skater?

Parker: There you go. Now that gives me a 6-foot-3, 230-pound goal scorer that can fly.

Wolfe: (Laughs) Finally, if you could change your mind about one thing that you did today, what would it be?

Parker: I don't think I would have eaten so many of those pepperoni sticks. They're catching up to me.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007