PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 Tonight!

nivek_wahs
04-09-2007, 05:28 AM
www.rodpedersen.com

Monday, April 09, 2007
Game 2 Tonight!

MEDICINE HAT -- After having Easter Sunday off, the Regina Pats and Medicine Hat Tigers are ready to resume their WHL Eastern Conference Semifinal with Game 2 tonight here at the Arena. The Tigers have a 1-0 series lead after Saturday's 4-1 victory.

"It was an interesting game," reasoned Pats coach Curtis Hunt, "Our penalty kill was outstanding early and we scored the goal to get the early lead. But you know these are these moments where you think your team's turned the corner and learned something but for some reason we got off the game plan and got over-handling pucks and turning over pucks and that's a team that's so quick on transition that they spent the majority of the next two periods in our zone. Some solid lessons, but how many times have I said that? It gets so bloody redundant but the bottom line is we need 10% more from a lotta guys in that room. You've gotta win four games to win a series and for tonight we have to win our first which is tonight and it's going to take some mental focus. We met Sunday, had a quick practice which was energized and we're up to the task which is winning here."

Pats forward Garret Festerling had this assesment...

"I think we were too intense. We let our emotions get the the best of us and we didn't play a full 60. We got away from the things that make us play well and they took advantage of them. If people think it's going to be a short series, then that's too bad for them. I disagree with thim. We know what the pace is now and what it's going to take as a group to compete with the Tigers and I think we'll be fine. We have to doing to what makes us us, and we'll be fine."

A win tonight is clearly key for the Pats, who would dearly love to come home for Games 3 and 4 tied up 1-1 in the series. Not only to give them a better chance in the Best-of-7, but also generate some excitement around Regina and sell some tickets.

I'm still not feeling a playoff vibe. Comments on this blog have been more anti-Pat from fans of other teams, which is curious. There haven't been too many pro-Pats comments but I'm sure the support remains strong.

As for the game-outside-the-game, it's been pretty quiet. Neither Tiger coach Willie Desjardins nor Hunt are going to say anything worthy of tacking up on the dressing room wall. I've been warned against stoking the fire of the Tiger fans, but to be honest there's not much to say. Other than the dust-up in the lounge Saturday night (see post below), things have been tame. I'm sure he didn't even remember it Sunday morning.

Sunday was a leisurely day with a continental breakfast here at the hotel followed by the brisk practice at 1:00. Afterwards, most of the team went to a movie while the rest of us retreated to our rooms to watch the thrilling end to the Islanders-Devils game which New York won 3-2 in a shootout to knocked the Leafs out of the playoffs. I commented to my roomie Brent Parker that I'm not even a Leafs' fan but my stomach was in knots. I was pulling for Toronto because having the Leafs in the postseason makes things a whole lot more fun on the networks and on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.

Playoffs start on Wednesday, so you'd better get your playoff drafts done in the next couple of days. The Press Box Sports Bar is running their first ever playoff draft with an entry fee of just 20 bucks. Ask for you server for details. Don't forget they'll be showing Game 2 tonight at the Press Box. We'll have the broadcast at 7:00 with a shortened pregame show. Hadesbeck and Lynch will have Sportsline at 6:05 and will be joined by FieldTurf President and CEO John Gilman. The Riders announced last week FieldTurf has won the bid to replace the surface at Mosaic Stadium for 2007. Gilman, a former Montreal quarterback, should have some interesting comments. FieldTurf is in 22 of 32 NFL stadiums and the majority of the CFL.

Talk to you tonight!

Fight Guy
04-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I hope tonight the officiating is better. Again, I'm not saying that's what lost the Pats the game, but in some cases, there should have been Tigers called. The one that really irritated me was when (and I'll note, I was watching the webcast), I think it was Dorsett leveled Saulietis with an elbow to the head in front of the Tigers bench. An I don't see how this can be argued, as this was the center of the screen when the camera was directly over top of them, and it was clear that his elbow was in Saulietis' head. Then 15 seconds later, Hill gets called for a weak check from behind or whatever it was called...which lead to a partial brawl. I just want to see both teams getting called fairly. But in the end, I really like how physical last game was. As it has been stated several times now, the Pats and Tigers are very similar teams...Medicine Hat is just 2-3 years ahead. I the Pats can keep the pedal to the metal for 60 mins, they will fair better. Should me another dandy tonight. :D

hobster
04-09-2007, 08:56 PM
What is going on in med hat tonight, are the tigers mad team or what just taking it to the pats, pardon my language but there making regina drop the soap, and the pats are getting a kinder suprise.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-09-2007, 09:29 PM
What is going on in med hat tonight, are the tigers mad team or what just taking it to the pats, pardon my language but there making regina drop the soap, and the pats are getting a kinder suprise.
The Tigers are a good team and the Pats know that, and the Pats had their chances,but Keetley was there to stop them,I do know what else to say,because I only listened to it on the radio(so there is only so much I can say)

I thought that the officiating was mediocre. A kinder surprise??? I disagree with that because the Pats would know what to expect from them,after game #1 but like I said the Pats had their chances and did not capitalize. I myself thought that the Tigers would be worn out from the 7 game series,but they were not and it might have been good for the Tigers because they did not have nearly as many days off as the Pats. The Pats may have had too work off the rust(if there was any)

Hopefully on Wednesday the Pats can play well and they do play well at home so there is hope.

old_time_hockey
04-09-2007, 10:24 PM
After the 4th goal I would have put Tommy T in net for the 2nd period. But if not then, after the 5-0 goal for sure. What good does it do to have you starter shelled like that? Plus get Tommy some playoff time for upcoming seasons.

That and it would shakeup the team a bit and maybe give them the motivation they need.

nivek_wahs
04-10-2007, 12:52 AM
After the 4th goal I would have put Tommy T in net for the 2nd period. But if not then, after the 5-0 goal for sure. What good does it do to have you starter shelled like that? Plus get Tommy some playoff time for upcoming seasons.

That and it would shakeup the team a bit and maybe give them the motivation they need.I don't know what the coaching staff's motivation was/is. I was kind of hoping to have the goalie change as well (to give Tommy T some playoff time - just like you said)... but with the shellacking the team was taking... I don't know if it would have done any good for either one to see Rowat pulled.

nivek_wahs
04-10-2007, 12:54 AM
www.rodpedersen.com

Tuesday, April 10, 2007
What Now

MEDICINE HAT -- The Tigers routed the Pats 7-2 Monday night at The Arena to take a 2-0 lead in this WHL Eastern Conference Semifinal. The Tigers jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first period on a pair of powerplay goals and two shorties. They made it 5-0 in the second before Regina's Troy Ofukany and Josh Elder scored to make an attempt at a comeback. However the Tigers outscored Regina 2-0 in the third to take a lopsided 7-2 win, and a sweep of the opening two games of the series in Alberta.

The most concerning thing? The Pats aren't playing entirely as hard as they can, and the question is if they will at all before the series is over. Don't be mistaken -- some players are giving everything they've got and more. But others aren't giving their best.

"We need absolutely everybody to play like these are the most important games of their lives. I think some guys are still trying to find that level," said Pats' assistant coach Terry Perkins on CKRM's postgame show, "To be successful, the team that's going to win this league is the one that plays at their highest level all the way through. We haven't done it yet against these guys. It is within reach and when you show it in spirts you show you are capable. When you're playing good teams, you need all 20 guys. Certain guys are paying the price and competing, but not everybody."

Pats' coach Curtis Hunt had similar thoughts...

"It's very frustrating because in the end it's the willingness to get things done and be assertive and play like a predator and not be nervous of the outcome. The best feeling is throwing it all on the table and emptying the tanks. Do everything you can in every moment. These games are winning each battle, over and over again."

I asked him if he can point to the effort of rookie defenceman Colton Teubert who played his balls off and never quit...

"Can we say balls on the radio?" quizzed Hunt, "I guess you just did. You know what? I loved that kid tonight. To me, that's the epitome of being a Regina Pat. He comes to the aid of a teammate, s--tpumps their 20-year old who incidentally had to come back wearing a visor, and he sent a strong message and he cares. He played with passion, and these have to be the identifying words and what it means to wear this jersey. He's a fine young man who's had a fine year and I'm proud of him. He stepped up tonight and his play was outstanding."

With the game out of reach in the 3rd and the series twisting away in the wind, my colour commentator, former Pats captain Chris Schlenker, stated on-air Regina needs to grab the Tigers best players and beat on them. Not 30 seconds later, Mike Reich and Josh Elder started a melee which let the Tigers know they're not in for an easy series coming back to Regina for Game 3 Wednesday, and Game 4 on Friday.

But enough about that.

I've realized now why Medicine Hat needs a new arena. As much as I enjoy that joint, it's devoid of the amenities this city deserves. The biggest need is luxury suites, which would sell out for certain with all the money in the booming Gas City. There's also precious little space for off-ice personnel such as visiting team scratches, management and media. The Leader Post noted it's little more than the facilities in Moose Jaw and Swift Current, but I'm sure those towns would die for a building such as this.

A big topic in the media/scouts room before the game was my vaselining of the broadcast booth in Swift. Tigers PR man Dave Andjelic correctly stated that trick was first used in this very arena by former Pat Cory Dosdall years ago to get back at heckling fans. The Tigers weren't sad to see it happen, as those particular fans have caused them nothing but problems over the years.

Legendary Tiger broadcaster and bus driver Bob Ridley cautioned he'd never rile up opposition fans because he's afraid they'd take it out on their bus. I asked him if that had ever happened and in about .05 seconds he stated 'REGINA'. Pats fans in the early 80's smashed out the windshield of the Medicine Hat bus and they had to drive all the way to Brandon without one.

No, I won't be stirring up the Tiger faithful. They're a different breed. Different than the farmers in Swift Current, Moose Jaw or Regina. My kind of people the Saskatchewanians are. The vaseline prank was simply that. I think those is Swift have figured that out by now.

nivek_wahs
04-10-2007, 03:36 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=c6825ad0-0d4f-427d-83a4-e6806e7bf0a2

Pats couldn't find way to tame Tigers

The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2007
The Regina Pats will have to regroup on home ice after a humbling 7-2 loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers on Monday night.

The Tigers hold a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal by virtue of two wins at the Medicine Hat Arena. Game 3 is set for Wednesday at the Brandt Centre, followed by Game 4 on Friday.

"I do not believe we've blown the (gas) tanks," insisted Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "We are at a new level (of intensity) when you get to the second round and you're playing the second best team in Canada. They're not there by accident. But they put their skates on just like we do. We have to reset the clocks, not look back and not look (too far) forward. We can't forget about the losses, but we do have to understand them."

The Pats have now been outscored 11-3 in the series. They were beaten 4-1 in Game 1 on Saturday.

"My personal feeling is we did more good things (in Game 2), believe it or not," added Hunt.

Daine Todd notched a hat trick for the Tigers, who were up 4-0 after the first period and stretched the lead to 5-0 early in the second. The Pats went on to outscore Medicine Hat 2-1 in the middle frame to make it 5-2 but the home team added the only goals of the third period to complete the rout.

"The frustrating thing is when we are aligned and we are intense and we are playing in that moment, we are very good," noted Hunt. "The second period was as good a period as we've played in the series. Then we get soft in some areas in the third -- not everybody, just in some moments -- and the puck's in our net."

Todd opened the scoring with a power-play goal at 8:45 of the first period. Darren Helm scored back-to-back short-handed markers before Todd added his second of the night with 3:22 left in the frame.

"There were some things that are so uncharacteristic of some guys," said Hunt. "Yeah, it's a quick pace and they're a quick team, but just think (about what you're doing). Slow it down in your mind, breathe and play. In the end, you still have to execute. We had chances. It wasn't a case where we were on our heels early. It wasn't a case where they ran us out of the building. None of that at all. It was a good pace back and forth and then the first four goals are special teams."

Derek Dorsett made it 5-0 at 5:27 of the second period, before Troy Ofukany and Josh Elder scored 1:13 apart to bring the Pats within three. Defenceman Kris Russell ended the uprising when he scored 3:53 into the third. Todd completed his hat trick just 1:29 later.

Linden Rowat allowed all seven goals on 33 shots. Matt Keetley stopped 18 of 20 attempts for Medicine Hat.

The game also featured three fights, none of which involved enforcer Myles Stoesz. He was scratched in favour of veteran forward Justin Scott.

Mike Reich also played his second straight game in place of rookie phenom Jordan Eberle, who remains out due to a virus that could keep him out of action for the rest of the series.

The Tigers finished 2-for-6 on the power play while Regina was 1-for-4.

The Pats were scheduled to return to Regina after the game and will now begin preparing for Game 3.

"We've had success at home," added Hunt. "We need to get focused on that moment and do it one guy at a time, one shift at a time, in a unit of five -- five playing like one. That's how you beat a team like this. They're as good as team (as there is) and they're playing like a team. You can barely tell them apart the way they play."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007