PDA

View Full Version : repost from the white board.

bandwagonboy
04-09-2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/40684/message/1176143847/Interesting+Article+about+WHL+Hockey+in+Speedy+Cre ek

I'm not trying to troll, I just would like to hear your take on this, especially scout's who seems to know more about this organization than almost anyone.

ointhecreek
04-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Don't know what this guy expects us to do. Everybody that passes through that door sees the memorial and remembers. I'm willing to bet that those of us that were around back then has paused, if even for a few seconds, and remembers the players faces and how they played at every hockey game that's played in the CCC. Yes, I myself would have liked to seen a little more done for the anniversary, but just what, i don't know. In that moment of silence I myself remembered that day because my brother was suppose to be driving the bus and I was freaking out trying to find out anything. I seen a lot of tears flowing, including mine, during that silence. People here DO remember, but maybe just don't want to discuss it with someone from Toronto that's looking for a story.
I hear there may be plans to hang a banner in the rink when the renovations are completed. Don't know how true it is, but would be a good plan.

Fight Guy
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Just because everyone didn't crowd around the Memorial or just because there wasn't a whole lot done certainly doesn't mean no one cares. It's always going to be there and everyone is always going to remember, so what else should they have done? Do any of you recall how much was said about the incident during the 20th Anniversary game? Really, I don't see this as a huge deal.

That's the only pat of the article I kinda read, the beginning, so I hope I'm not missing anything important in what I'm getting at.

Big Ern
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
That article makes me bawl out loud.

First of all, thinking of those things, and how they happened, even though I wasn't here yet.

Secondly, living in a small city who rallied around their team, and found a way to get through something that no other city could get through. It's emotional. VERY emotional.

And third, having it all ruined by some media snake from big city Toronto, where smalltown hockey pride, and any pride at all for that matter, is not known. DISGUSTING!

Fight Guy
04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
LOL at Toronto haha

Scout
04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I will respond bandwagonboy when i finish reading the whole article. I remember these dudes at the game that night and even had a little chat with them about what they were doing. They were here to do a memorial on the 20th anniversary of the bus crash. What the he** had James being a pedafile have to do with these four players. I have to read the whole article then cool down then respond. I lived it and i was involved with it more than most and i will respond on here out of respect to my fellow whlfans posters wondering if it is true.

Scout

Scout
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
You sure seem to know alot about a town, it's hockey,it's people and what happened 20 years ago. All of that in what, 3 hours of being here or a day at most? How much was left out that wouldn't have made the story as raunchy?

The memorial is in the lobby for all visiting fans as a reminder of that fateful day and why we wear the four leaf clover with 8-9-11-and 22. He makes it sound like we should line-up every game and bow each and every game. This crash happened 20 years ago. We are reminded every time we see the clover on the jersey or the memorial in the lobby. Sure we may not line-up and stare at the memorial, but we do glimpse more often than not and think back to that day. Bandwagonboy, you mentioned you have been to the CCC on occasions for games. Did you not see the memorial in the lobby and not stop and read it? Thats the purpose of the memorial. So we as fans, not only in Swift Current but around the league never forget and trust me we don't and never will. Trust me we will never forget.

He talks about Dean being in a meeting with the board and being met with silence and being igonored by the board. What was he there in the room? What is said in the board room is in strict confidence. So where Gare did you get that info? From a disgruntled fan? O is right, they are talking of putting something in the arena part itself but not until reno's are done.

Now you mentioned when i talked to you Gare, that you were here to do a special about the 20th anniversery of the bus crash. Don't try to dig up ghosts that aren't there. The James episode is well known around the world. So why tie it in with this tragic event. I knew Sheldon very well and he was at my home many a time. I never even thought he was being abused. Sheldon, although he liked to drink and party was always is a good mood and cracking jokes. Graham was very manipulative and knew who he had to be deceptive with so he drew no suspicions. Yah there were rumors around town but they were only rumors. I'm sure the police also heard rumors but you can't act on rumors alone. If one of the players said one thing to anyone then i'm sure it would have been told to the police but it was very secretive and hidden from everyone. How would the trainer Hahn, or Honda as we call him know anything was going on if nothing was never said or seen. James kept this very well hidden and like any predator is very deceptive.

As for Leavolds comments. I also believe this was taken out of context. Brady was more than likley asked why he left the team part way thru last season. Brady then was not enjoying hockey back then and missed his family and friends. He returned this year and asked for a second chance and showed how much he matured and he became one of the leaders and part of the heart and sole of this team.

This community and team have been thru more than most teams or fans have in the last 20 years. Alot of these players return every summer year after year because Swift has become their second home. Not bad for a town and people that hate the players and the team. These players know they are loved in the community and are always welcomed here.

This reporter mentions about Joe not wanting to talk about the crash. The main reason is because of the hurt he endured and the memories he has of that day. Joe is a very private person who doesn't like the lime light. He would sooner be in the back ground than out in front. Now this reporter also mentions that Joe never mentions Swift Current. So now he makes its sound like Joe always has and always will hate the town, yet every summer Joe returns to Swift after the N.H.L. is done. He goes and plays golf with old friends he knew from his junior days here. He sits at D.Q. with his kids enjoying an ice cream or just goes shopping at the mall. This is Joes second home not a place he refuses to talk about. When he does talk about Swift Current the first questions are James and the crash so he refuses to talk to the media about his junior days. For a town who this reporter portraits as hating the Bronco players, there sure are alot who return every summer and live here all summer. So Gare, i guess you really didn't do you homework in those three hours. Maybe next time talk to the fans.

Scout

CHtoo
04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Right on Scout! Couldn't have said it any better.

ointhecreek
04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
As always Scout, you do us proud! With class! :thumb:

Flathead
04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Very good post Scout. This reporter had his "spin" in his head before he started his article and that's the way he wrote it, in his short stay in Swift. A very weak article written with very poor taste. I find it funny that the only player from this years team that he quoted is a player that left the team last year. I would guess as well that Brady was taken out of context. Why not anything from the captain, Rumsey loves it hear and like many others from years past, he thinks of Swift as his second home. As mad as this article made me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because like all other hockey fans of the city and the southwest I know the truth.

Big Ern
04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
This moron reporter, Gare Joyce, is taking a lot of heat. It is deserved. What he did, was pure trash.

I like the way the whole league is pissed off at him, and even fans from other cities are giving the gears to him on the world wide web. That is awesome. The entire league knows how we work here in Swift Current, and how much effort it takes every season for our team to survive. And lastly, how much pride we have.

Flood ESPN with emails. Tell them your opinion. Make him look bad. What he did, is unbelievably ridiculous. He tried to ruin everything great that Swift Current is known for. RIP HIM everybody! RIP HIM!

And lastly, Swift Current, hold your chin high. We have big reasons to be proud.

Dwight Schrute
04-10-2007, 04:02 AM
i found the article disgusting, and in no way did i think the james fiasco should have been tied in. also leovold posts here sometimes. perhaps he could shed clarity on his part of the interview ?.
also the detail in which they go into about the players and how each died was a little too detailed.
also when i first started reading the article and whenever something is mentioned about the crash i remember scout's recap (once again thanks for that scout) he provided a few months back.
dean mcammond told me about how he really never wanted to leave the raiders but once he got to swift it was a wonderful place to play.
and if there's a game when i pass through next fall im just gonna have to stop in and see the "atmosphere" for myself

Scout
04-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm glad the other fans from around the league know what Swift is really like and its fans. I just don't understand what he wanted as a memorial. A laser show? I agree maybe more could have been done, but what. I'm sure the family of the fallen players didn't want to be in the lime lite again. One thing i noticed was this ESPN reporter never mentioned anything about the retired jerseys or that the league has the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy. I just don't know what he expected. We live this accident every game even 20 years later. O mentioned that during the moment of silence he had a tear in his eye. How would family members feel being asked to step on the ice when the fans themselves were tearing up. Lets let the past be the past and keep their memories where they should be and thats in our hearts not on paper.

Scout

Scout
04-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Found this on Keens Korner and found it very well written:

Anonymous said...
Gare Joyce owes the people of Swift Current an apology!!!!
I can not believe his audacity to say we in Swift Current do nothing to remember these kids.
Is he a parent of a 5 year old hockey player on a first time visit the the Civic Center , were the stop at the wall is made before hitting the dressing room for their very first practice and the story is told. Not only the story of the crash, but the story of the triumph of the city that came back from it. Is he the man who is just standing by the wall ,who tells the story to a stranger from another city who just happens to ask the question what happened?
As I understand he was at the Civic Center that day for the moment of silence, But was he in the Fairview Arena when both rinks stopped play and had a moment of silence. was he in our homes or in our businesses or on our streets, when the radio station announced a moment of silence, did he see how many people stopped what they were doing to experience that moment of silence. Did he experience that grief that we as Swift Current citizens felt in that moment.
No
We know the story and yes we might quietly pass it on, but trust me it is passed on ,on a daily bases to our children and now to their children....they are remembered.they are celebrated they are Swift Current . We were stopped in our tracks 20years ago on the day we lost Scott, Brent, Trent and Chris. I feel it was very fitting we stopped 20 years later to remember.

As for Graham James and the abuse he subjected not only Sheldon to but the rest of his team. We in Swift Current need to stop being embarrassed by media personal like Gare Joyce. Abuse was a little known issue in the early eighties. The education level of the average Canadian Citizens on this matter was nil. We certainly need to feel empathy for what happened to these wonderful young men, and we certianly need to never forget, But Swift Current as well needs to realize out of this situation we Triumphed once again. The Safe guards put in place by our Swift Current Bronco's and our Minor Hockey Association are top quality and a lot people worked hard thousands of hours to make sure this would not only never happen again in Swift Current, but has been passed on and implemented in hundreds of communities throughout Canada.

The story Gare Joyce should have wrote if he truly investigated Swift Current, interviewed all the players,parents, coaches , staff, billets , school teachers, young hockey players, business owners, seniors ,who have been around for the 20 years after the accident. His head line would have read
After Tragedy comes Triumph
You should be ashamed of yourself Gare!

Scout
04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Ryan Switzer is the color commentator for The Swift Current Broncos. He also has a blog and for some unknown reason ESPN reporter Gare Joyce has responded to the outrage from hockey fans on the internet and the media on how his article was done. Also is a very good rebuttle from Ryan. It can be found at www.ryanswitzer.blogspot.com

Scout

Scout
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I contacted Ryan this morning and he has given me the ok to copy his blog on our forum. It is obvious that Gare reads his blog and i would still like as many as possible to leave comments for Gare on what you thought of his article.

Monday, April 09, 2007
Never Let the Truth Get in the Way of a Good Story

UPDATE!!!! GARE JOYCE REPLIES!!!! CHECK MY COMMENTS SECTION!!!

First things first, read this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=swiftcurrent

Also check out Keen's blog. He has some good comments from people in regards to the article. Good discussion as well on www.network54.com/forum/40684 and www.whlfans.ca

I've added some more thoughts since I first published this earlier today. If you've already read this, I've added content.

Gare Joyce was in Swift Current for the 20th anniversary of the bus crash. I was surprised at the negative slant he took in his article.

No mention of the dozens of volunteers required each game night that make Bronco hockey possible. Just talk of how they all ingnored the four broncos display in the lobby to get to selling 50/50 tickets.

No Mention of the challenges or successes of the smallest market in the CHL.

I hope Gord Hahn is cool with what was written about him. For "Honda" to be portrayed as anything other than a very caring individual with a heart of gold is unfair.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Don't haterize on Leo". Brady had his issues in the past and is a very articulate and smart kid. Writers have a VERY nasty habit of taking things out of context and only writing what proves their point. Brady could have very easily said "I love Swift Current, sure we have to pay for mistakes of past players but I enjoy my time here and wouldn't want to play anywhere else in the world."

Paper people and writers are notorious for doing this. Ask Harv Martinez how often the Lethbridge paper has skewed his post game words. Ask Dane Crowley about his first interview in an Everett paper. Most athletes have a story about being taken out of context by paper people. Thankfully our locals Bowditch and Mah are above this.

Gare Joyce spent an entire weekend on the bus and likely talked with everyone on the team. Anyone find it odd that of all the coaches and players he only quoted Leavold? That's cause Brady was the only one that gave him anything he could use in his negative article. All others probably had glowing reviews of our fans and of the city, leaving him with nothing.

I'm hurt that he thinks Swift Current doesn't show respect for the four players that died. I think we've all stopped to see the display in the lobby. I thikn we've all cracked a beer and talked about the four players and their impact. As a ten year old kid it was my first brush with death. Four of my heroes died that day. I'll never forget my mother just saying over and over again "those poor boys and their families" and watching her burst into tears while my young mind tried to process all of it. Maybe that's something I don't want to go through and relive everyday, but it doesn't mean I don't have respect for the display in the lobby.

"But if you put your ear to the door, you'd know this is the minimum interruption in a culture of denial in a town where the only thing tougher than looking through a scrapbook might be looking in a mirror."

I hope Gare Joyce can look himself in the mirror. A story of half truths. I would like to hear Brady Leavold actually say what Joyce claimed he said. I would like to hear the unedited tape recording. To slander our city and print those "quotes" from Brady is disgusting. To say that we as a community should have trouble "looking in a mirror" is lunacy. We should hold our heads high. We should be proud of the success of our team, and what we as a community have done to keep it viable. Parents of our prospects should know that their kids will have a good hockey experience in our city.

Maybe he's right in that we could have done more to commenorate the 20th anniversary of the loss of the four players. It is fortunate that there is no template for a situation like that in junior hockey. There is no 'right answer' when dealing with grief. Just another uninformed view of the little market that could in the CHL. Let him have his big city opinion and we'll remain "stoic".

Gare Joyce said...
I just quoted Brady but the fact is that I talked to many Broncos players and they basically all had the same line -- that the locals gave Broncos players a hard time. To run a list of quotes from a dozen players wouldn't have advanced the story an inch. I quoted Brady accurately. The others backed it up. His was a representative quote, not an exceptional one. All of them said that those who gave them a hard time in school were often in the stands cheering them on game night and they can't figure that out at all. I feel sorry for them, but many people are cold beyond belief.

I actually think Dean and Hunch do a helluva job with their team. The Broncos were competitive beyond reasonable expectations. I liked the kids whom I met. They're a good reflection on the program. I think junior hockey can be hard on the players -- I only wish the best for them. But it wasn't me who said that the team could have done more to honor the SC 4 over the years -- it was Fanner and Tim Tisdale and S Kennedy and other who are thoroughly entitled to their opinion and if you want to deny them that, that's your business. As for Gord, I can't imagine his pain and I wish he finds some peace and happiness in retirement.

8:31 PM, April 09, 2007

Switzer said...
Gare,

First off, thanks for replying here. You're taking alot of heat on the www from Bronco fans and I appreciate the response.

"All of them said that those who gave them a hard time in school were often in the stands cheering them on game night and they can't figure that out at all."

Why didn't that make your article?

"But it wasn't me who said that the team could have done more to honor the SC 4 over the years -- it was Fanner and Tim Tisdale and S Kennedy and other who are thoroughly entitled to their opinion"

I don't think alot of people disagree with you/them that we could have done more. I think there is much disappointment at the Graham James angle. 30+ years of consecutive playoff appearances? The highest per capita attendance of anywhere in the CHL. The large staff of volunteers that makes it all possible? I know you're not a "puff piece" kind of guy, but the Graham James thing was covered nationally when it happened and has been relived in Sheldon's marathon and book. While what happened was horrible and disgusting and shouldn't be forgotten it is not the sum of the Broncos existence.

Our hockey team and history is more than Graham James.

I'm just one example of a Bronco fan who's first date was a Bronco game. the first time I cried tears of joy was the 89 mem cup win after Tisdale's goal. I didn't even cry when my kids were born! We've had nights with 3,000 people in the rink. 1 out of every 5 people town was at the game!!! On the mem cup winning team did you know the guy who scored the winning goal, winning assist and winning goalie where all from Swift?

Anyway Gare, you're an author and award winning writer and I'm a hack with a blog. I'm sure you could type an educated response to this to put me in my place. Fact is Gare, your article hurt alot of people. As a community we love our hockey team. We were pumped about the exposure ESPN was going to give us. For us to be portrayed as a cold, unfeeling community that should have a "hard time looking in a mirror" that bullies our current team and doesn't care to remember Dec. 30 1986 is not fair and not accurate. We are stoic and we are proud, and we are better than your article made us look.

Five Hole
04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
People in Swift Current certainly have good reason to be upset with the spin put on that article. To suggest that people in Swift Current have somehow forgotten about or deliberately chosen to disrespect the memory of those 4 players and the circumstances surrounding the tragedy is ridiculous.
I think any hockey fan, hockey player, or hockey parent in Western Canada old enough to remember the accident would have a hard time ever forgetting about it.
WInter weather conditions being what they are in Western Canada, it's amazing that there haven't been other serious accidents over the 40 year history of the WHL, considering the hundreds of thousands of combined miles these team busses rack up every year. I'd bet the Swift Current tragedy is thought of many times throughout every season by the families and the billets of these players (and the players themselves) on every team in this league as they are getting on busses in far less than ideal conditions going to or from the next stop in a long season. Not to mention every time they pass the spot just outside of town where the accident occured.
I think most knowlegeable people would see that article as the unfounded, poorly researched journalism it is. The author is clearly trying to sensationalize some unrelated, unfortunate and tragic events that hopefully no other team ever has to experience again.
While I suppose there is always the very real potential of some type of an accident, I truly believe that systems are in place and awareness has been heightened to the point that the possibility of another 'Graham James' ever infiltrating minor hockey at any level has been eliminated or at least greatly reduced.
I hope all Swift fans consider the source and his motivations when reading this story and don't let his spin on things negatively affect your support for your team and your city. I'd bet you have more support than you can imagine accross the league and right here on this forum. :thumb:

Miss B
04-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I agree with the other posters, that we have nothing to be ashamed of. We proved in Regina, and on the front of the sports page in the Leader Post, that Bronco fans are envied by many teams in this league because of their unwavering support of a team that's gone through a lot more ups and downs than we were used to in previous years. I was barely a year old when the bus crashed happened but can recall many night sitting in my parents basement looking through a scrapbook that was made up of leader post articles and any other information released on this tragedy at the time. And growing up, i'd repeatedly ask my parents and older brothers what happened that day. I no longer live in Swift and can still picture the Memorial to those four young men clear as day in my head right now, or any time something triggers the memory of that day for me.
The support we give also triggers the disappointment we feel right now in one of our own, Brady Leavold. Especially after Game Five, when the fan bus stood outside in not much more than Bronco sweaters and showed all those boys what they meant for us. It almost feels like a betrayel that he would say those things about a town that welcomes everything Bronco with open arms. High school is tough on everyone, not just the Broncos. I remember the ones I went to school with, and they gave as much as they got, and i've heard it hasn't changed much.
But long after Leo's gone, I bet he'll miss it. The support, the Hometown feel, and we'll still be Bronco fans... Strong, Proud, and Never Forgetting.

d-man
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I have to agree with the posts on this thread. Gare Joyce has grossly underestimated the heart of this community. Although I too stood in the CCC Dec 30 and thought "that's it?" after the moment of silence. So how should the organization recognize the loss of four lives? Its a fine line between respectfully remembering and celebrating tragedy that no one wants to cross.
If Dean's "quote" is true and the supporting comments on this thread about proposing a banner inside the rink after the renos are complete would be respectfully remembering. Raising a banner, parading the families or the '86 players on the ice at the anniversary would have crossed that fine line.
The real story he should have wrote was that despite the bus accident, the James crap, and all the other odds the organization is up against it is still successful for no other reason than the support and heart of the community.

nivek_wahs
04-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Keen's Korner... http://jonkeen.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Joyce is "sorry people took offense", Plans to "drop me where I stand"

Ok, now this is getting good. Gare Joyce has responded to criticism taken on this blog. Here's his post which can also be read in the comments section on "Wow".

"I'm sorry that so many people took offence. I certainly didn't mean to kick those who live in Swift Current. But the fact remains, I didn't say that the team didn't do enough to honour Kruger, Ruff, Manteyka and Kresse--Fanner and Tisdale did. And when I tell people not from Swift Current that the four were honoured basically with a moment of silence--and that the board of directors just brushed off the idea of more of a ceremony or raising a banner--they are appalled. Fact is, it should have been an anniversary that the WHL marked--they first dropped the ball, then the team ownership. And fact is, Dean C wanted something more--the right thing--and it didn't happen. Too bad for Fanner, the families of the others, Tisdale and other team-mates.

As I said on the other blog, Brady said what others said, almost no dissent in the ranks of the team. Kids are cruel in high school and for the locals the best way to cut the Broncos down to size is take their swings. It can't be pleasant but I don't believe that it's uniques. It's almost certainly more true of small towns than cities--I went to school with Marlies (a Marlie captain sat beside me in class) and everyone gave him respect and space.

I think Dean's instincts were right about getting a banner and the rest. I wish he had pushed the board harder. I think he did a good job with his team and I'm glad to see that he got a vote of confidence. If the directors went into brain lock and gassed him, he'd get another job.

Fact is, many people in Swift want to live in the present because the past is so awful. The view in Swift Current isn't the view from elsewhere. When the McBains say that Graham James did a good job with the team in the wake of the crash--well, there's no saying that he did a job in one aspect with the team but just happened to molest players.

You know Mr Keen, you can attack the story but when you attack me--I don't fit in, I'm a snake, whatever--you're not helping your case. What exactly do I have wrong? Fanner feels like the team could have done more over the years, Bob Wilkie says that someone had to know about James, Sheldon Kennedy says the same, Tim Tisdale once coached in the arena on an anniversary that went unmarked--and I stood out like a sore thumb. What a joke. And you say you're going to get in my face--I'll drop you where you stand. Don Cherry took issue for me--yeah, he defended Phil Esposito when he told a woman reporter to fellate him. I've been doing this since you had your baby teeth.

Gare, Gare, Gare....don't kid yourself. First of all, if you think me saying "I'll take issue with him when I see him at the draft " (see "Wow" below) is a threat of physical harm then you're even better at jumping to conclusions than I thought you were. Congratulations, you've now misquoted me too. Who's the veteran scribe now eh? I would love to sit down and tell you about the pain and embarrassment you've caused this city with your article and I know in turn you would like to tell me more of your side too. If you're not ok with that, go ahead, take a run at my "baby teeth", Just because you wrote a book on the "Punch Up in Piestany" it doesn't make you the league heavyweight.

Many people think you may have come in under false pretenses. Do you think the team and the organization would have gave you an all-access pass (which they did and you know it) if they knew the route you were headed with your feature piece? I'm sure most thought (as did I) you were in town to recap the events of a terrible tragedy to hit a small community 20 years ago. But of course a feel-good fluffer like that wouldn't make the headlines right? You've managed to anger an entire community, a loyal fanbase, and the Broncos organization to what appears like trying to get headlines for personal gain.

I was maybe taught a lesson here too, a lesson on trust. We put you on the air (December 30th) and you said nothing of the angle you were planning. We promoted you, the article and it's upcoming release at espn.com. So I guess I shouldn't trust everybody. Next time I guess. What would a local yocal small-time radio announcer for a small market CHL team know anyways? You managed to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, even me...you should feel good about yourself.

Had you been up-front with the people, the team....me, no doubt that would have jeopardized getting the to the real dirt you so desperately seeked. So I understand the veil of secrecy.

Broncos Hockey and this City is more than about Graham James, more than about a sad time back in late '86 early '87, more than about what you have made it out to be. There are lots of great things you've conveniently overlooked. Where did it go? Nowhere Gare, it's right here...here, in a small southwest Saskatchewan City who loves the game; has passion, loyalty,trust, feelings, How could a veteran reporter like yourself miss that?

See you in Columbus Mr. Joyce.

posted by Jon Keen at 11:25 PM

nivek_wahs
04-11-2007, 05:02 AM
I don't know how many people read Regan Bartel's blog but he weighed in on the issue as well... http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 10, 2007
The Aftermath of the ESPN Article

It's always good to have a day to reflect on something that stirred you up inside.

Yet when you have a blog, your first instinct is to defend and react!

I am referring to the ESPN article that was published this week. It can be found on-line and contains little if anything good about junior hockey in Swift Current.

But after a few days of reflection, my stance hasn't changed.
My biggest complaint is not necessarily with what was said, but more so with the deception that the writer used in getting the story.

The deceived were the Swift Current Broncos organization.

From what I gather the reporter told the Broncos that he was coming in late December to do a piece of the 20th anniversary of the bus crash.
Fine!
Great!
He made no reference to Graham James, and that a good portion of the article would contain the damage he inflicted on the players and the community that trusted him greatly.

For the benefit of the doubt maybe the writer wanted to do a piece on the anniversary of the crash, yet it didn't live up to a good enough story?
He was looking for public anguish and sorrow and didn't find enough of it at the Civic Centre on the night of December 28th?
So he took it a step further by going the Graham James route, which would provide for a better read.
You have to admit it he accomplished his goal!

There is no denying some portions of the article are true, and you still need to question those in the community during James' tenure as coach, that they must have seen something strange from a junior coach that was extremely tight with his players.

Looking back, I saw some things that today would make me go 'that's weird'.

Yet my senses have been heightened because of what Graham James did.

I remember in my early 20's being in the lineup outside the twin theatre in Swift Current only to see Graham James with Joe Sakic and Sheldon Kennedy just a few people back, all smiles as they waiting patiently to get tickets for the latest flick.
While some may find that odd, I didn't second guess it considering I knew that James was single and was likely going 'out on the town' with a couple of players to watch a innocent movie.
Hey he's new to town, how many people does he really know?
He knows the players pretty well, so instead of going alone, he hooked up with them.

I even heard that James took Sakic and Kennedy down to Mexico. While I found that odd, it didn't trigger anything considering the three of them made the trip. Now had it been just James and Kennedy, alarms would have likely gone off.

People often ask me how could no one in the community not have known or seen what James was doing?
Graham James was a great manipulator, but no one caught on because the team was winning.
Even if he had unorthodox ways with his players, people wouldn't question it because the team had success.
If it ain't broke - don't fix it would apply here.
At the time James philosophy on hockey was abnormal, as he preferred the skill game over the intimidation style of play in the mid 80's.
So if he did things a little differently than the rest, no one questioned his antics because it was producing wins and ultimately championships.

It's like a marriage where both partners are smiling every time they are seen out in public. Nobody questions on whether they love one another or are committed to each other.
The same holds true in sports.
If you are winning, and things look good from an outsider, any of the dark things going on behind closed doors are not questioned.

Even as a young reporter I often heard he was gay, but like others I just took it with a grain of salt.
People were likely jealous of his success is what I and others thought.
You see it all the time.
It's human nature to attack those that have success. How many people slash Donald Trump about his hair?
People suggest he's wearing a toupee, when he likely has bad hair!
I remember the big joke with my buddy's in our late 20's was if you weren't married by the time you turned 30, you were gay!
So any reference to James being gay also triggered the response 'whatever'!

The negative spin the article took about the city of Swift Current likely hurts the most. The Broncos mean so much to the community, and is a tremendous sense of pride for everyone.

When the team played their first game following the bus crash in 1986, I was there as a fan in the North end of the Moose Jaw Civic Centre.
As the Broncos came out of the tunnel for the pre-game warmup wearing the familiar blue-green and white colors with the horseshoe and the bucking Bronco logo on the front of the jersey, a sense of pride took over as I applauded 'my' team - a team that represented my community - the place where I live.

The City of Swift Current will always have a black eye over what James did, but the knockout punch that the ESPN writer delivered this week has the community gasping for air on the canvass.

But like anything you care deeply for, you fight for it.
You protect it.
When a sports writer comes into a city where you grew up and attempts to drive it into the ground you don't turn the other cheek, you defend it.

The truths in the article shouldn't be hidden, but the negative spin throughout has this former resident of the city of Swift Current standing up and defending it's honor.

Scout
04-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Gare Joyce said...
Well, first, I hope you read my story in full -- I noted that it was Kruger to Tisdale on the winning goal with Kruger in the net. It was mentioned in the piece that all are SC-born and bred. The championship is all there. That's a point easily put out of the way.

Maybe I'm taking heat from the people of SC but remarkable little from other places outside the region. In fact, people are amazed that there wasn't more done, not on the 20th anniversary, not other years. And that the McBains can say that James did a good job with the team in the wake of the crash--when the players could have surely used psychological help--is hard for me to fathom. Do you have an explanation for that? If so, let me know. And let Sheldon Kennedy know.

It's one thing to say the story was covered "nationally" but the fact is the crash and the Graham James story is under the radar in the U.S. where the vast majority of espn.com readers reside. This is an introduction for many of them by reason of geography and age demographics.

The people of Swift Current should be proud in the accomplishments of this franchise on the ice, no doubt. That the directors chose not to do more with honouring those who died appalls people from away--like me, they'd stand out "like sore thumbs" or seem like "snakes" in SC. Look at what major league baseball is doing for Jackie Robinson's memorial (and he died as an adult if early of natural causes). The lessons of history, however painful they might be, are lost without timely reminders. Many in SC want to forget rather than remember--that's the story and it was other people (Kennedy, Wilkie, Fanner, Tisdale) saying it.

I feel for the current players, really. Junior hockey is not an easy life anywhere. It's very demanding. And when Brady and the others talked about the local kids at school I never saw it coming -- but then I'm from big bad Toronto. In grade school I sat next to the captain of the Marlies in school and everyone gave him respect and space. Same with others who had profile.

It's funny ... all the community love for players and team that you write about ... well, many people I sounded out in places away from the arena had a very negative view of the players--I didn't include it because it was anecdotal and maybe not representative.

If you want to criticize the story, just let me know the errors in it. If you or people posting on this board or others want to call me names, then you've conceded this contest of merits by virtue of childishness.

10:19 PM, April 10, 2007

Switzer said...
Gare,

Thanks again for the reply. Despite our opposing views on this issue, you are a well known and respected writer and I'm flattered to have you visit my little place on the web.

"Maybe I'm taking heat from the people of SC but remarkable little from other places outside the region. In fact, people are amazed that there wasn't more done, not on the 20th anniversary, not other years. And that the McBains can say that James did a good job with the team in the wake of the crash--when the players could have surely used psychological help--is hard for me to fathom. Do you have an explanation for that? If so, let me know. And let Sheldon Kennedy know."

Once again Gare, I'm NOT ARGUING with you about how the 20th anniversary was handled! Some think we did enough, some think we could have done more. The club was thinking simplicity, you want Jackie Robinson. You have your thoughts and that's fine. I'm sure it was frustrating for you to come all the way to Swift Current for what you thought was a huge event and get a mere moment of silence.

Do I have an explanation for the psychologial help issue? No, No one has an explanation. Graham James was a "master manipulator". You and Sheldon Kennedy have covered that and no one is arguing with you. Once again, the Graham issue is a horrible thing that Swift Current has paid the price for that has hopefully raised awareness and prevented other attacks of the same nature.

BUT NOT THE SUM OF BRONCO HOCKEY!

"It's one thing to say the story was covered "nationally" but the fact is the crash and the Graham James story is under the radar in the U.S. where the vast majority of espn.com readers reside. This is an introduction for many of them by reason of geography and age demographics."

Well, I wonder were the US gets their lack of understanding and distorted view towards Canada? By giving Americans a view of small town Canada like this all you're doing is contributing to the next Rick Mercer special.

"It's funny ... all the community love for players and team that you write about ... well, many people I sounded out in places away from the arena had a very negative view of the players--I didn't include it because it was anecdotal and maybe not representative."

"Anecdotal and not representative" excactly. One area I will concede we need to improve as a community is our support of the Broncos in the tough times. People get down on the team when they are losing, and the last few years have been tough. The local attitude towards the team when you were in town was not as high as it was during the playoffs when fans took over the noise level at the Brandt Center in Regina. Swift Current gets on a high after the wins and a low after the losses, but the community does support the team. As far as the treatment of the players in high school, I invite you to read unedited comments from Brady Leavold on the issue at whlfans.ca

"If you want to criticize the story, just let me know the errors in it. If you or people posting on this board or others want to call me names, then you've conceded this contest of merits by virtue of childishness."

I left name calling out of this Gare. We're both media professionals, you on a much larger scale. I can appreciate that you are a pro and want to get the most entertaining angle out of any story you write. I'm sure your readers down east and in the US think your article is pure gold! Congratulations for that! If you can look in the mirror and know that you were ethical in writing it and you honestly conveyed all the facts to the best of your ability then good for you. By visiting myself and Jon's blogs to defend your actions and integrity are you trying to convince us or yourself?

I didn't realize this was a contest. Thanks again for the reply Gare. I will warn you, Keener spends alot of time in the weight room ;)

5:21 AM, April 11, 2007

Scout
04-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Read the comments section from my last post. Another reply from Gare Joyce...

Gare also visited Keen's blog. They may fistfight. http://jonkeen.blogspot.com

One thing I do want to clarify: I can't imagine what Sheldon Kennedy had to endure all those years ago. The fact that more than 20 years later it still seems to haunt him speaks of the horror and trauma he went through. When I say that "the sum of Bronco hockey is more than Graham James" I'm not trying to discount what Sheldon experienced and the bravery he showed us all in coming forward and going public.

I think we as a community have moved on, yet we are still linked to this unfortunate and dispicable incident. It was something horrible that happened. I honestly don't believe that many people knew of it and turned a blind eye to the abuse. I used to be the stick boy and spent alot time in the space of Graham James. I never had any clue and was never given any reason to believe he was the predator he was. Sure we all heard the rumours about Graham being a homosexual, but I don't think anyone could have fathomed what was really happening.

It was a dark time, but to still link Swift Current and people who live here to this is like still linking Toronto to SARS. It happened, we payed our respects, we remember, but it is not our identity. Just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's why we're so ticked about this Gare Joyce article and how we're still so linked with the abuse as a community.

R$

posted by Switzer at 5:03 AM 0 comments

Courtesy www.ryanswitzer.blogspot.com

Scout
04-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Anonymous said...
I love all of the drama that ALWAYS seems to hang over the Broncos. You know what. Could something more have been done? SURE. Tisdale could have showed up to honor his teammates, Kennedy could come by once in a while to HONOR his teammates, instead of digging up old issues. You know, the old regime of staff is gone and I am sure the new ones feel just horrible about the history and what happened to Sheldon, but why does the new staff have to take it on the chin ALL OF THE TIME?? They can't seem to ever do anything right. Sakic couldn't be there because he was busy making millions playing as a pro, but how about a letter to the families?, the team, the CITY ? Yeah, maybe team could have had an all out marketing event which then we would be reading how "the marketing staff turned this into a means to sell tickets for a struggling team". It never seems to end with one thing or another. The fans COULD have sold out the rink on their own (I went) to support the anniversary. I think the fact that it is remembered with a moment of silence pays homage to the fallen players, while not digging up old wounds of a tragic event. To think someone mentioned that a family member could have done a "puck drop"! why? I would not want to be brought out in front of everyone again to be shown that I lost my family member tragically 20 years ago. I hopefully have moved on and found some peace in the fact that the are in amuch better place then we are right now. Maybe i'm wrong. Hats off to guys like big Ern who stick by the team through it all. Here is a guy that quite simply likes to watch hockey and be part of something exciting. Not sit there and judge the coach, the players, the team, the city, the building, the expansion, the ticket prices, the win/loss record, etc. etc etc. Anyone with the balls to get invloved...go to the annual meetings and find out how to get on the board (it does not pay money by the way) and lobby your ass off to get a spot on there. I bet some of those guys would love a break !It never seems to end. But hey, at least I have yet to see a negative post about the 2 new Hall of Fame inductees. Of course, has anyone spoke with Tisdale or Kennedy yet?

9:42 AM

Jon Keen said...
Remember when Fanner was honored before the game a few years back when the Broncos unveiled those special Four Broncos commemorative sweaters?

That was a special night. A long, standing ovation for that pre-game ceremony. That was fantastic.

Does anyone else remember that? It's been left out of this debate.

10:10 AM

dave said...
I remember that, I was hopeing the Broncos had a picture on the website, from that night. Maybe Brad could dig one up and repost it, to shoot down another twist from the article.

11:18 AM

Regan and the Rockets said...
Keener good article. I like the physical threats from this guy! What's that all about?
What does that really tell you about the individual who wrote this article?
Question answered.
Like you said, he came into Swift Current with deception on his mind from the get-go.
If he wasn't upfront with the Broncos on his intent for the article, how upfront or factual are some of the comments in this article?

11:39 AM

Jon Keen said...
Regan, I thought the exact same thing. I think he's showing his true colors here, at least his cards anyways.

For those of you wh0 don't know already, Regan has addressed the issue over at www.reganbartel.blogspot.com. He has a great take on this.

12:56 PM

Anonymous said...
Hey, at at least you can say he stood up for Dean ! not many can say that ! By the way , has he renewed yet? If so, what's Hunchak going to do? Any thoughts Keener?

1:17 PM

Gare Joyce said...
My record speaks for itself -- all the people (outside of SC) who have issue with me over whatever I've written over 20 plus years could ride on the same bicycle. Again, where are the mistakes in my story? Oh, sorry, there aren't any. Please ask Tim Tisdale and Fanner--and Bob Wilkie and Sheldon Kennedy--if they think the team has done enough over the years to honour the four Broncos. (Fanner never mentioned that she was honoured at a game ... she told me that she hadn't been at a game since the twins finished their jr carrers.) And as far as you taking it up with me at the draft--how would I know that someone who attacks me personally (rather than pointing out errors in my story) was intending to civilize debate? You knock me because the story is bullet-proof--just keep in mind that Tisdale, Fanner, Leo, Wilkie, Kennedy and various legal records had far more damining things to say about the team than I did. And fact is, the worst things that were said--maybe less about the team than the mindset in the community--came out of its pillars, the McBains. And the fact is, I'll spot you 20 years--no chice, I have to--but a bowl of pudding like yourself doesn't make me shudder. I hope the curb is soft wherever you plan to take this up with me, cowboy.

2:37 PM

Jon Keen said...
Gare,

You really are a piece of work, are you kiddin' me? First of all, how did I attack you personally? By agreeing with a poster that I got an uncomfortable feeling around you? That's a stretch. But then again you ARE good at that.

I think you're upset because us smalltown folks are running your show. Big time. It's amatuer night in your eyes and you're the one looking like the smalltown country bumpkin. Again, who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

ESPN must be ashamed to have you as a staffer after you talk this way. If you had any credibility before, you've no doubt lost it by the way you've conducted yourself on this blog.

See you in Columbus....Mr. Joyce.

3:05 PM

Gare Joyce said...
--trembles--

3:10 PM

Gare Joyce said...
and of course, no mistakes cited

3:11 PM

Anonymous said...
Gare Joyce = lunatic.

You're right Jon, his company should be ashamed. Joyce appears to be a real skitso.

3:17 PM

Anonymous said...
Let's just get this out in the open, Mr.Joyce..you are lucky Scoof isn't still around, he'd be driving down to "talk" to you after reading the first 3 words, you're an as*hole for even thinking of writing an article bashing to way we remember the boys, maybe if you weren't so closed minded and set on your own rep you'd actually try and dig a bit deeper and find out all the things people did on that day and every december 30th since the crash. our fanbase is strong, and there are ways to remember the guys without making a big deal out of it, thats the way we are, at least we're not closed minded like you. ESPN and you should be ashamed. no one wants to hear you're whiney pathetic articles anymore so just quit, drop it buddy, you're career should just be over..

here read this, cowboy

http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=11787

maybe start bringing along a tape recorder or maybe a piece of paper..try and get quotes right there Gare..

-a loyal fan, there's no doubt in that-

3:32 PM

Jon Keen said...
Yes, I may be 20 years younger but it appears you're the one with all the growing up to do.

Keep making a fool of yourself. The blog hits have been through the roof.

3:49 PM

Anonymous said...
This is getting a little childish. Two grown men fighting over the internet. You guys are making this about yourselves. I realize this is your blog Jon. But this is sad.

4:12 PM

Anonymous said...
I wonder if the Bronocs organizaiton would have welcomed you in like they did (at the games, did you buy a ticket??) on the team bus, in the dressing room, everywhere basically, all access pass ( which they don't even give local media who try annd PROMOTE the team). I wonder if they would have done all that for you if they new your were only there to slap them in the face? Gare.....don't they pay you enough to write REAL stories, or are you one of those reporters that revisits and rehashes the past, trying to dig up dirt and point fingers, wait, arent they called tabloid reporters?? Why not include some things like the support that the business community DOES give the team every year. Or the fact that, by population, we have one of the biggest season ticket holder bases in the WHL, OR how comptettive this SMALL TOWN team has actually been over the years, what about the fact that not ALL wHL teams induct former players into a Hall of Fame. Even Tisdale, Kennedy and Sakic are most likely headed to THAT hall ! or....I could go on, but then again, no one is paying ME to write for you ! Get some insight for yourself. "trembles"? Grow up.

Scout
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Jessica said...
It seems to me Gare Joyce is countering criticisms of his article by throwing personal attacks, which is just silly.
After reading the article, as well as both Jon and Ryan's respective blogs, and the comments which followed, I find myself feeling sympathetic for the residents of Swift Current.

A comment on Switzer's blog from Joyce said "The story is right but you're unhappy with it."

And why shouldn't the people of SC be unhappy with an article that, while I assume is factual, depicts the community in a negative light? Obviously (or rather, hopefully), as a journalist, Mr. Joyce isn't going to write anything false or made-up, but writing is all about the tone in which something is said. Anyone who has read the article has read between the lines, picking up on the negative and borderline-condescending tone. It may as well have simply said "Swift Current, for shame."

As both a journalist, and a new resident of Swift Current, I was saddened by the article. When a small city gets little media coverage and is given the opportunity to be featured in an ESPN article, it is an exciting event. To have that article turned around to depict only the negatives of a town and omit the positives is disheartenning to say the least. I was taught to show both sides of every issue.

I read the article before knowing what had been done to welcome Mr. Joyce to the community, and I could only assume by the tone of the article that the team had done nothing but cry to him about the horrors of life in the WHL and that everyone else he had spoken with had been spat on by the community at every turn. It was surprising to me, especially knowing the pride SC takes in its team, and how welcoming everyone is by nature.

So, I suppose I've taken enough of everyone's time with this comment, but I would like to say one last thing about the recent blogging behaviour of someone who everyone refers to as a professional: For shame, Mr. Joyce.

4:45 PM

Gare Joyce said...
keep citing the mistakes -- oh I forgot, there are none

what am i suppose to do? sit here in silence and suffer shots at my character from people who know nothing about me? if you criticized my story, i can respond in kind, but if you criticize me--what i write but me as a person--then it's a whole different story

i'd say that you have gone ad hominem but i'd be here all day trying to explain

thanks for giving voice the late mr kruger, I'm sure you can get on your crystal ball and communicate his indignation. while you have him on the line ask him how he feels about the moment of silence. i will put on my headgear in anticipation of him hooking me from his celestial abode

funny, the only people who ever thought they were misquoted were Phil Kessel (whose quotes were in fact quoted and recorded) and the folks of Swift Current ... 20 years and all of a sudden I'm a fiction writer ... funny

have you hockey-loving folks been talking to Kennedy or Wilkie lately? i didn't think so

mistakes? none

regards, etc

5:15 PM

Joel Siemens said...
Hey Gare answer one question. What does Graham James have to do with the anniversary of the bus crash? NOTHING. Yeah great way to bring that up again. Yeah that must have been tough for you. Lets tell the story the whole world knows. You say there wasnt enough done. What did you want the Broncos to do? Parade people around? That would have been classless. The orgainization does have something planned for inside the rink. But they could not do it this year as the city is in the middle of the expansion. Every Bronco knows why they wear the four leaf clover on their shoulder. And a few years back we our first special edition jersey was done in honour of that. The crest was the four leaf clover.

Your are some piece of work

JS

5:18 PM

Gare Joyce said...
anon,

as a member of the working media i don't need a ticket ... i have a pass from the chl .. it was given me on the strength of all the writing i have done about junior hockey over the years

and MY "personal attacks"? who is the "snake" here? i'm not going to cite all the epithets thrown around

like i say, show me where i'm wrong, cite the mistakes

you'll have sores on your butts if you sit at the computer too long trying to find them -- and i say that with all due respect

thanks for your interest

6:24 PM

Jon Keen said...
Gare,

Your e-mail address please. I would like to keep some comments between you and me.

I don't think anyone has said any of your article was fiction we just said it was twisted. Case in point is the response from Brady Leavold on whlfans.ca who you said you quoted word for word yet he says you twisted it to read as a different angle. As for Joe not wanting to speak about his junior days in Swift Current? He has learned over the years what reporters can do with a quote.