PDA

View Full Version : Cougars tie series at 2..this one is going 6 games!

old_time_hockey
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Cougars win in OT and tie series at 2-2

This series has been a mirror image so far. Game 1 at the EEC is a Tips win. Then game 2 the Tips have to go to OT. Cougars at home win their first home game and then their second home game they need OT as well to win. Now it is up to the Cougars to break this home team win pattern if they want to take this series.

Anyone that was at the CN Center, any first hand details would be great.

Scoring Summary
2. P.G Setoguchi, (7) (Sagert, Walker), 4:47 (SH)
2. EVT Gutierrez, (3) (Mueller, Beach), 12:45
2. P.G Setoguchi, (8) (Walker, Durand), 18:45 (PP)
3. EVT Beach, (4) (Dailey), 1:53
3. EVT Gutierrez, (4) (Mueller, Beach), 9:23 (PP)
3. P.G Wishart, (2) (Drazenovic, Patterson), 13:12 (EN)
OT. P.G Drazenovic, (6) , 5:18

Shots on Goal
Everett Silvertips 8 15 14 1 38
Prince George Cougars 15 8 11 3 37

3 Stars
1. P.G - 18 Devin Setoguchi
2. EVT - 49 Moises Gutierrez
3. EVT - 12 Kyle Beach

It could have been a coin toss between Seto and Drazenovic for the 1st star. Setoguchi has been good down the stretch and in the playoffs and 2 goals tonight. But Drazenovic assists on the 3-3 goal and gets the OT winner.

LinkGaetzFan
04-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Go PG! I'll root for any team playing against the Silvertips. ;)

Sput
04-12-2007, 12:06 AM
All I can say is its been a heck of a couple days.....or is that weeks??

After two weeks of hell at work, then two days off and 7 days of travel, I should now be able to keep up with the playoffs.

First off, Tuesday's game initially had me worried. Slow start in the first, letting Everett control the pace and the play. Once the second started, it looked like two different teams out there. The Cougs came out harder, faster, and dictated the rest of the game. They did have a few let-downs, but still held tough and took Everett to task, and bent, but didn't break. As much as the Tips focused on not giving Seto any room to work, it opened things up for the rest of the line, and the team.

Tonight was a different story again. Back and forth, end to end. Both teams having chances with the goalies coming up HUGE, or all to often having the puck bounce the wrong way, shots got blocked or went wide. Over-all I'd say the Cats held a territorial advantage for the larger part of the night, and seemed to me to control bigger parts of the game than the Tips did. Not to say the Tips didn't play well, they did, but hockey is a game of mistakes and missed opportunities, and the Tips made a couple more mistakes and missed more chances than the Cats did. Most times you could see the wind go out of the Everett sails every time the puck got behind Irving. They looked frusterated and tired in the third and the OT period.

Looking forward, its tough to say how game 5 will go. The Cougars have to ride the momentum they now have with making this a road series, and the Tips have to find a way to keep their head in the game and get the presure to which ever goalie the Cats play. My money says Cyr, but you just never know. Thats the beauty of having two solid, veteran goalies that can both carry the load.

Glad to have a game 6 coming back here, and hopefully the Cats can put it away on Monday.

Good to see some Silvertips fans made the trip up for the games. Probably saw 8-12 fans for sure, maybe a few more scattered around. I saw and was talking to one fan I hadn't seen or heard from in some time....Old Fan made his appearance, and it was good to talk with him again for a short time. If I had the time, I would have bought him a nice Crown on ice, but maybe next time.

Section_Z
04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
This series will go to 7. great playoff hockey. Go Cougars!*
*until you meet the Giants....=)

nelson951
04-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Good job Cougars

dondo
04-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Well-done Cougs --- you need someone other than Seto to score though you know :p :thumb:

Kill the Tips

yeah Tips fans love road trips (but Tips fans in PG? THATS impressive) .. lately they've been thankfully leaving their cowbells at home -- thank you Tips fans thems is irritaaaating and not in a good way.

Sput
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Well-done Cougs --- you need someone other than Seto to score though you know :p :thumb:

Hmmm....did a little research and found that of the 13 goals scored by Cougars in this series so far, Seto has scored 3, Walker has 2, Draz has 4, Wishart 2, Fuller and Mihalik have 1 each. That means to me that Seto hasn't been the only one scoring for the Cats. Besides....thats what goal scorers do isn't it? Score goals? Thats why so many teams were after Seto, and then so pissed that the Cougs got him. Devin scores goals, hits hard, set up goals, and generally makes himself a whirlwind of energy out there making things tough on the defenders. Constantine evern said in our paper that the Cougars have depth, and someone dangerous on every line, so that makes it so hard to line match these guys. If one line doesn't get to you....the next one will if your defense gets tired, or wore down.

Now making this a road series, best of three, things turn interesting. Everett is not used to the hard bus trips, and wanted to be able to finish this off at home Saturday. The Cougars wanted to make it a road warrior series, and have done so. Now the test is to see if the Cats can win Saturday on the road and bring it home Monday. We will see which team holds up the best with the travel schedule now.

Jimmy
04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Woot, go Cougs

dondo
04-12-2007, 05:48 PM
thanks Sput i didn't do the research this time, but the way some of your guys have been talking in other threads it sounded like Setogutchi was the reason you guys were in the mix.

But really it was some minor mockage not meant as anything really :clown: -- great work to get to the Tips, now you have to take a game in their barn -- tough to do for sure --- just make sure you're both beat up so we can take on a weathered team :thumb:

After a disappointing season this must be like a rush of oxygen for Cougar fans

Sput
04-12-2007, 06:45 PM
After a disappointing season this must be like a rush of oxygen for Cougar fans

Believe me....its awsome to see 5000+ in the old Train Yard again. Someone did some looking back and the last sellout that is rememebered was back in 98, so we are soooo close lately. I'll say with a win on Saturday, the Monday game 6 will be a sellout. I was in line today buying a couple tickets, and if the lineup is any indication, we should be there. I heard there was still a 10-15 minute wait at noon, and the box office opened at 10. I'm looking forward to lifting the roof off the place again! dancing pi

Bruins_Booster
04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Congrats Cougars on the win! After a slow start out of the gates at the first game (I got to see it in the EEC), it sounds like the team has hit full stride. If the internet broadcast of the game was indication, the Coug fans were plenty loud and into it last night! yeehoo Now to see if the road travel will work in PG's favour!

dondo
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Believe me....its awesome to see 5000+ in the old Train Yard again. Someone did some looking back and the last sellout that is remembered was back in 98, so we are soooo close lately. I'll say with a win on Saturday, the Monday game 6 will be a sellout. I was in line today buying a couple tickets, and if the lineup is any indication, we should be there. I heard there was still a 10-15 minute wait at noon, and the box office opened at 10. I'm looking forward to lifting the roof off the place again! dancing pi

so I guess I wasn't totally out to lunch as Seto has 8 goals and 6 assists and is tied with Peter Mueller for the league lead in playoff points with 14 -- let's hope Seto passes Mueller as you guys shut them down. :thumb:

good to hear the fans coming back -- see - in the end it really doesn't matter who the ownership is -- the team wins and the fans come back. (damn fairweather PG fans :p :D )