PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast of champions...

Triton
03-03-2005, 04:10 PM
You can forgive western Manitoba hockey fans if they start referring to the Western Hockey League's Eastern Division leading Brandon Wheat Kings as the "Breakfast of Champions."

The Wheat Kings tightened their grip on top spot in the Eastern Division Wednesday night, and satisfied a record breaking crowd hungry for another victory by sending everyone in attendance home with a "free" breakfast at Smitty's.

Thanks to the club's "Lucky Seven" promotion and last night's 8-0 victory over the second place Saskatoon Blades, the 5,794 fans that turned out to the game received the breakfast bonus, compliments of Smitty's and the following suppliers - Tim Hofer, Canada Bread McGavins, Kuipers Family Bakery, Bridge Brand and Schneiders.

The crowd represented the largest regular season attendance in Wheat Kings' history. Only one other game - a 1995 playoff game against the visiting Prince Albert Raiders attracted more fans to the Keystone Centre. A total of 5,904 turned out to the Keystone Centre to see game five of the '95 Eastern Conference Championship final.

grumphy
03-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Was it actually an 8-0 game, I mean that onesided or was it fairley well played with no breaks to Saskatoon

Joe Hallenback
03-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Brandon Man Handled the Blades the most of the night. This is the second time I have seen the Blades get dominated by the wheaties this season.

BWK
03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I agree Joe

For whatever the reason, Saskatoon just didn't look like they were interested in playing the game last night. Maybe the overtime loss the night before took some wind out of the Blades sails but there seemed to be only one team show up.

Saskatoon managed only 19 shots with 12 PP opportunities. You have to give lots of credit to the Wheatkings for that but even a bit of effort by the Blades could have improved that stat.

I guess to answer grumphy's question, yes it was an 8-0 game. This is a totally different team than the one that stunk up the province of Alberta last time they were there.

Chipper
03-07-2005, 12:44 PM
wHAT A ROLL THE kINGS ARE ON! GOOD TIME OF YEAR TO GET ON A ROLL AND PEEK.

grumphy
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
The roll sort of hit a bump last night in our barn, but what an entertaining game from start to finish. No clutching or grabing just fast, fairly clean,well played game.
Compliments to you team and coaches for such a well disiplined and well coached team. Not hard to see why Plante recieved player of the month.....he's going to be a great one. Stone & Fuer where, as usual, a treat to watch. Too damn bad Brandon is so far away-----would they ever be an addition to the central division.
Man is that power play hitting on all cylinders, moving the puck around well.
All in all a very intertaing game---glad we came out with the W but it sure could have went either way right to the final buzzer. Hope we meet in the Conf. finals