PDA

View Full Version : Beer and other stuff

scamperdog
04-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Blazers’ board soon to decide beer issue
by Gregg Drinnan www.kamloopsnews.ca

Fans of the Kamloops Blazers may learn next week whether beer in the seats will be a permanent feature of WHL games at Interior Savings Centre.

The team and the City, which controls the arena, agreed Jan. 11 to allow fans to take cups of beer from concourse vendors to the seats on a trial basis. Both parties said they would meet following the season.

Dean Clark, the Blazers’ general manager and head coach, said Wednesday that he has spoken with arena manager Tony Carlucci.

“I’ve had some conversations with Tony,” Clark said. “They basically are waiting for us. . . . They would like to continue and probably expand it. But I haven’t had anything official with them yet.”

Clark said the subject of beer sales is on the agenda for the next Blazers’ board of directors meeting and that “we will have an announcement next week.”

Fans were allowed to take beer to their seats during the last 13 regular-season games and two playoff games.

Asked if there were any problems during the trial period, Clark replied: “None.”

• • •

Clark left this morning for Anaheim, the site of this weekend’s second annual WHL U.S. Prospects Camp.

Last season’s camp was held after the WHL’s bantam draft. Following the camp, WHL teams were allowed to draft U.S. prospects. This year, the 80 1992- and 1993-born players expected to attend will be available in the May 3 bantam draft.

Centre Luke Moffatt of the Phoenix Firebirds, runners-up at KIBIHT, will be at the camp. The Portland Winter Hawks, with the No. 1 pick in the bantam draft, have spoken with Moffatt.

A year ago, the Blazers selected defenceman Dennis Brown of the Los Angeles Jr. Kings in the draft of U.S. prospects.

“He is going to come to camp,” Clark said of Brown, who finished this season with 19 points, including eight goals. He played in 43 of the Kings’ 56 games.

Brown, who came down with mononucleosis after attending the Blazers’ 2006 camp, spent part of this season playing forward.

“We kept in touch with him and he wants to come and play here next season,” Clark said. “He may end up being the new Ray (Macias) . . . who knows? He can pass the puck and do all those offensive things.”

• • •

Macias, who led all WHL defencemen in scoring this season, has signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Colorado Avalanche, which selected him 124th overall in the NHL’s 2005 draft.

Macias had his season end when he suffered a broken scaphoid in his right wrist in the regular season’s 70th game. He has since had surgery and is rehabbing the injury here.

Left-winger Alex Rodgers, who had shoulder surgery March 23, also is rehabbing here.

“He’s working on his flexibility and range of motion,” Clark said.

• • •

The contract between the Blazers and Radio NL, a three-year deal announced June 3, 2004, likely will be renewed in the near future.

Clark said he has spoken with Rick Arnish, the president of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group, which owns two other Kamloops radio stations.

“It seems at this point that they’re not interested,” Clark said. “I think we’re going back to NL, but we haven’t done anything official with them yet.”

old_time_hockey
04-13-2007, 11:44 AM
So what was the deal with the beer? Why did they stop letting people take it to their seats?

I'm guessing people chucking beer?

Kamfan
04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
So what was the deal with the beer? Why did they stop letting people take it to their seats?

They didn't stop, they just started it (for the first time) late in the season.

The question now is whether it returns next season. Given that there were no problems to speak of, unless it was unprofitable (which is unlikely), it's a good bet to continue into 07-08.

old_time_hockey
04-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Oh...I was told that WAY back in the day you could take a beer to your seat. But something got out of hand (spillage leads to fight, etc.)

But Canucks games at the PC used to be that way. You had to chug in the concourse and then run back to your seat.

How strict are they in the Loops about ID? I seem to notice a bunch of 14-17 year olds running around the PC with a beer in each hand. But yet sometimes I get carded and I'm 28. Usually only when I have shaved. Which won't happen now till after the Memorial Cup.

scamperdog
04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Beer is in the stands for good :clap: plus the team signed a new deal with radio nl for another two years nhl

nivek_wahs
04-25-2007, 04:55 AM
http://www.blazerhockey.com/blazer-news/blazer-news-stories/04-18-07.php

04/18/07 - Beer Sales Permanent

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

KAMLOOPS, BC – The Kamloops Blazers have reached a decision whereby beer will be made available to patrons in the stands during Kamloops Blazers’ games at Interior Savings Centre on a permanent basis.

“Through our trial period, we encountered absolutely no problems. Mature and responsible adults make up a considerable portion of our fan base and they conducted themselves accordingly,” says Blazer General Manager and Head Coach Dean Clark. “As a result, we’re comfortable in allowing beer to remain as permanent beverage option for our fans.”

“We’d like to thank our fans for their professionalism and their feedback both during and after last season’s trial period and we are pleased to be able to offer beer as a full-time beverage option for adults attending Blazer games in the future,” concluded Clark.

In addition to the serving of beer in the stands, Blazers fans will be able to choose from a selection of wine and coolers as beverage options at Interior Savings Centre.

- 07 -