PDA

View Full Version : Dorsett's return to lineup has sparked Medicine Hat

nivek_wahs
04-13-2007, 03:03 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=de557a90-091a-4fca-b57f-888fc38378e2

Dorsett's return to lineup has sparked Medicine Hat

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, April 13, 2007
Derek Dorsett is a handy guy to have around in the playoffs.

The Medicine Hat Tigers have lost just once in five outings since Dorsett's return -- about two weeks ahead of schedule -- from a broken hand suffered with six games left in the regular season.

The Tigers were beaten in Dorsett's first game back, a 6-5 setback in Game 6 against the Red Deer Rebels. But Medicine Hat went on to win Game 7 and has posted three straight victories against the Regina Pats, who are facing elimination tonight at the Brandt Centre.

In five games since his return, Dorsett has four goals and one assist. The gritty winger from Kindersley scored the overtime winner in Wednesday's 2-1 decision over Regina.

"It was really tough to sit out," offered Dorsett, who missed the first five games of the playoffs. "That's why I came back so early. I probably should just be getting back around now but I pushed to get in quicker. The first couple games it was just running on emotion and adrenaline but now I'm starting to get back to game speed."

Dorsett's quick transition has been aided by his linemates: Darren Helm and Chris Stevens.

"Jumping back in, I didn't think I'd be playing on the top line," noted Dorsett, who had 19 goals, 64 points and 206 penalty minutes in 61 games during the regular season. "(Head coach) Willy (Desjardins) believed in me and believed I could play on the top line. He gave me the chance. I'm playing with two great players. They're putting the pucks on my tape and I'm luckily finding the net."

Dorsett's hand injury prevents him from displaying another key component of his game, although he did drop one glove during a melee in Game 2.

That said, Dorsett is more than just a fighter.

The 20-year-old has been a productive playoff performer since he joined the Tigers 2004-05, recording 17 goals and 23 points in 31 games. Not bad for a guy who was snubbed in the 2001 WHL bantam draft.

"I was always one of the top players through minor hockey, but I never grew," noted the 5-foot-11, 178-pounder. "My bantam draft year, I was 5'51/2 and 94 pounds. I was really small. Then I hit a growth spurt."

Dorsett's WHL rights were briefly picked up by the Rebels, who eventually dropped him. He ended up with the Kindersley Klippers, helping the SJHL club advance to the Royal Bank Cup final in 2004.

Dorsett returned to Kindersley the next season, but was signed by the Tigers halfway through the campaign.

"It worked out awesome for me," he said. "There were times when I was thinking about staying in Junior A and trying to get an NCAA scholarship but I'm very happy I came here. I've learned a lot of stuff, played with a lot of great players and made a lot of good friends. It's my second home now."

Growing up in Kindersley, Dorsett said it was always his goal to play in the WHL. Now he's focused on bigger and better things, having recently inked a three-year deal with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

"It's every kid's dream to sign an NHL contract," said Dorsett, a seventh-round pick in the 2007 entry draft. "It's pretty amazing to look at where I came from and how (so few) guys have done that out of my home town."

Dorsett's future may lie in the NHL, but his current focus is on the Tigers, who have aspirations of winning a Memorial Cup.

"That's everyone's goal on this team to finish the year off right," added Dorsett, who was quick to point out that his team isn't looking past Regina. "We want to get this series over with but we're a team that doesn't look too far ahead. (The Pats) are going to come out hard. They're a real good team. You never know what could happen so we just have to prepare like we have for the other games and make sure we come out with the same work ethic or even better."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007