PDA

View Full Version : Chynoweth hopes to be back

Scout
04-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Last updated at 10:38 AM on 13/04/07

Chynoweth hopes to be back with Broncos

BY STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

Swift Current Broncos head coach/general manager Dean Chynoweth is hoping to continue rebuilding the franchise that he has been a part of for three years now. After exiting the first round of the playoffs in a tough fought six game series against the Regina Pats Chynoweth is hoping to have his contract renewed with the team.

"That has never been an issue. I think that as a board they have a process that they need to go through. I expect to be evaluated at the end of each and every year and more so when your contract is up, to evaluate where you are at, where we are headed, and for them to make a decision on that. As far the city and the team goes, I definitely want to be back here. I have been a part of something for the last three years. I feel that we have built it and are continuing to grow as a group and I want to be there to reap the rewards when it is all said and done."

Chynoweth agrees that the team is on the verge of turning things around.

"I think that is fair. I wish I was sitting here saying we have overachieved and are further ahead. Being realistic, where we are in year three is right on track. With each year the expectation grow for my players, for me, from the fans, and that is to be expected."

After having some time to sit back and analyze the playoffs, Chynoweth pointed out the positives in the first round loss.

"I was proud of them in the end. It could have went either way. We knew going in that we lacked experience. The only way to gain experience is to go through it and hopefully build confidence.

The first game was spent watching, standing around in awe. Like we have done many times during the year we responded in game two with a much better game. The kids and I were excited to come home with a split.

Game three could have gone either way, I thought we deserved better; I thought we had a lapse in the second period. Game four wasn't very good, that was a critical game that put us down 3-1. At that point, having been through it a number of times from both sides, it is a real critical time for your group for which direction they are going to go. I actually prepared for both depending on how game five was going to go.

I truly believe now looking back that if game five would have gone sideways, which it can with this age group, I believe that we would have taken a step back. With the way the played in game five and six, as nice as it would have been to play another round to gain experience, this was still a good experience. I have not had many years where I can say that finishing up, where your season is over that you are proud of the group. As long as they take those experiences and are able to apply them next year, that will be the challenge."

When looking forward towards next season Chynoweth pointed out the improvement of three players as crucial to the team's success.

"The three most important guys are going to be Nelson, Bortis and Weise.

Levi will have the opportunity to break out a bit. In the sense of drastically improving his numbers, but more importantly is consistency from game to game.

Kyle Bortis has underachieved but still shows tremendous promise and skill that I think that he will be regular contributor at 19 and 20.

Dale Weise is the power forward that everybody wants that is not always willing to play the power forward role.

All three guys I expect a lot out of them. They really have to take a step. They got their feet wet at 18. They all had slow starts because they thought it was there time and they were going to shine and they found out how tough it and that you have to earn it."

With the loss of Kyle Moir, a goaltending spot will be open next season. Ian Curtis, who will be 17 next season, is the most likely candidate to fill the backup role.

"He has had an okay season. I think that he has had a real adjustment that I think will benefit him once he gets here. He went away to play Junior 'A' which gets him used to being away from home, the homesickness stuff, practicing everyday, facing older guys and better shooters. All those things are part of a real learning curve. I am still excited about Ian and his potential."