PDA

View Full Version : Tough end to careers for Pat veterans

nivek_wahs
04-14-2007, 07:25 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=30421773-d993-4c68-bc29-41a2c40c88bf

Tough end to careers for Pat veterans

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, April 14, 2007
When the Regina Pats' dressing-room door opened, so did the floodgates.

The tears were flowing when media types waddled into the Pats' sanctuary after Friday's 6-3 Western Hockey League playoff loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers, who swept a best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal in four games.

Right-winger Kaspars Saulietis walked right by us. He was crying.

In another part of the dressing room, Pats centre Garrett Festerling was embracing goaltender Tommy Tartaglione. Players took turns hugging 20-year-old captain Kyle Deck, whose five-season WHL career had just concluded.

The Sedley product then sat in his dressing-room stall -- for the last time following a major-junior game -- and stared at the carpet for a few seconds before accommodating the media.

A few feet away, Kyle Ross was choking back tears.

This is a side of the Pats people seldom see, even when the media is a conduit. Postgame interviews are customarily done outside the dressing room in the Brandt Centre's lower extremities. On Friday, however, the Pats deviated from their accustomed format.

None of the players wanted to leave that room. It was their last time together as a collective. Sure, many of them will return, but the personnel will be somewhat different when they next convene for a game of consequence.

"You become a family,'' Ross said. "You're together for eight to 10 months of the year. It has been a pleasure to play with these guys. I had a lot of good times here.''

Friday night was not one of those times.

The Regina-born centre was confronted with the sudden, unpalatable reality that his major-junior career had abruptly concluded. This is an exemplary young man who grew up watching the Pats, and eventually realized a dream by playing for them.

"It has been an honour to play here,'' an emotional Ross said. "It goes by way too fast.

"Some of those bus trips, they go by pretty slowly -- but, in hindsight, it is all a blur.''

The same applied to the first two periods of Friday's game, in which the Pats were dominated by one of the CHL's elite teams. Medicine Hat opened the scoring at the 37-second mark, when Chris Stevens sniped on the game's opening shot, and the Pats were left reeling.

Medicine Hat led 3-0 and 5-0 at the intermissions before the Pats staged a spirited, yet belated, rally. Third-period goals by Festerling, Brett Leffler and Nick Ross prevented the final score from being an embarrassment.

"We should have had a better effort in the first two periods,'' Kyle Ross said, "but this team in the third period, I've never been more proud of them. Us 20-year-olds really appreciated that.''

None of the Pats were especially anxious to leave the ice. Before doing so, they saluted the most resilient fans -- only a portion of the announced crowd of 5,367 -- who stuck around for the confirmation of the Pats' fate.

"The sound of that buzzer ...,'' Ross lamented.

One by one, the players made their way to the tunnel. Ross was the second-last to leave the ice, followed by Deck.

"So many memories flash by,'' Ross said. "The things that stand out will be the people and the memories.

"It was a tough game and a tough series. Medicine Hat is a good team. But in 10 years, I'll remember the guys and the fun inside the room.''

The bitter feeling of Friday will eventually evaporate. But, in the short term, it is impossible to digest the finality of it all.

"You don't want it to end,'' Ross said. "You don't want to come off the ice. You want to think about practice tomorrow, but that's not a reality.

"It'll be tough leaving the Pats' organization. This is tougher than I thought it would be.''

That was evidenced by the fact that Ross was still in his full uniform. How long would it be until he removed the Pats' garb for the final time?

"I don't think I'll be doing it for a while,'' a class act said, managing a chuckle. "I might make Greg (Mayer, the Pats' trainer) take it off me later.

"It's tough ...''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

hobster
04-14-2007, 01:16 PM
atleast you guys didn't get blown out as bad as the blades did agianst the tigers last playoffs

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
atleast you guys didn't get blown out as bad as the blades did agianst the tigers last playoffs
I was going to compare the two series(Blades Vs Tigers last year,and Pats and Tigers this year) but I can't,last season and this season the Tigers were a MACHINE,but look on the bright side,they are most likely going through a rebuilding year next year,they loose: Dorsett,Keetley and Stevens,and have nine 19 year olds(that are OA's for next season) and some of them might go pro.

The Pats and there fans should(and most likely are proud) that they made it into the second round,even though it was a quick exit,there are things that the players have learned and will use that to help them in the future.

Even though I am Blades fan I am glad that I saw games 3 and 4(as well as a game VS Swift Current)

Best of luck to the graduating players and to the entire team in the offseason,and too the Fans as well. Have a safe,and enjoyable summer.

hobster
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Are you a blade fan or a pat fan hard to tell sometimes yeah good on the pats but lets not love them to much there still a arch rival of ours and in the same div all i will say is we'll get ya next year :groovy:

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Are you a blade fan or a pat fan hard to tell sometimes yeah good on the pats but lets not love them to much there still a arch rival of ours and in the same div all i will say is we'll get ya next year :groovy:First of all YES I am a Blades fan,and ask yourself this: Would a person not be a Blades fan and have season tickets for the Blades?? Since the Blades did not even make the playoffs,I was cheering for the Pats,and because I am friends with someone on the team(if you really must know why I cheered for the Pats during the playoffs)

Hopefully next season both the Blades and Pats can make the playoffs,but first and foremost the Blades should and need to make the playoffs(and if the Pats do not then that that is the way the cookie crumbles)

hobster
04-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Well talking like a true blade fan i hope all eastern teams to crappy and the blades finish first this si coming from a guy who has followed the league for 13 years now so whatever thats worth

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Well talking like a true blade fan i hope all eastern teams to crappy and the blades finish first this si coming from a guy who has followed the league for 13 years now so whatever thats worth
That would be nice if the Blades finished 1st,I hope so too,but at least the Pats made it into the 2nd round and will still have a fairly strong team. All I hope is that the Blades and Pats DO NOT FACE EACH OTHER IN THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN.

hobster
04-14-2007, 11:35 PM
I hope we don't meet each other in the first round again because the blades keep beating the pats

Bran
04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
So, back to the point...lol

Congrats to all three of the boys on great careers and good luck to them in the future. Every team should have a couple of guys like that. Heart and soul guys, great leaders and hard workers. Kyle Ross and Kyle Deck are good local boys who've been with the team for a long time and it's sad to see them go but they've given us a few good years of hockey. Garrett Festerling was only here for two seasons but he really made his mark on this team. I don't think you could ask for a better group of guys.

Tidball
04-15-2007, 03:08 PM

Actually The Pats got a worse beating the the Blades did last year. Blades took them to overtime for 3 of the games didnt they? Tigers flat out dominated the Pats. applause

hobster
04-15-2007, 03:11 PM
yeah the scores were flattering for the blades though blades even let up 83 shots in one game

vote4arealclown
04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Actually The Pats got a worse beating the the Blades did last year. Blades took them to overtime for 3 of the games didnt they? Tigers flat out dominated the Pats. applause

Make the playoffs before you go running your mouth about getting beat....

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 02:28 AM
BACK TO TOPIC!

Pats fans have to give full credit to the teams graduating 20's. All were important parts of the Pats' success in the 2006-07 season. I have to congratulate Deck, Ross and Festerling on great junior careers and great careers with the Pats.

Regular Season stats with the Pats:
Kyle Deck
GP 266
G 25
A 81
PTS 106
PIM 283

Kyle Ross
GP 238
G 56
A 119
PTS 175
PIM 219

Garrett Festerling
GP 139
G 44
A 87
PTS 131
PIM 97

All I have to say is... Good Luck Kyle's and Garrett... I wish you all the best in your futures. :clap: :wave: