PDA

View Full Version : Festerling goes Pro

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=8efa45d6-a3dd-4f71-bc08-e1981bfa0383

Festerling gets to play some more

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, April 16, 2007
Garrett Festerling's WHL career may be over, but his season isn't.

The Regina Pats' centre has agreed to an amateur tryout contract with the Oklahoma City Blazers and is expected to join the Central Hockey League club on Tuesday.

The Blazers, run by former Pats head coach Doug Sauter, are currently involved in a best-of-seven conference semifinal against the Colorado Eagles. The series is tied 1-1.

Festerling, 20, played his final WHL game on Friday when the Pats were swept by the Medicine Hat Tigers. He led Regina with 73 points in 68 games during the regular season, then added a team-high 12 points in 10 playoff contests.

"It'll be good to get a little taste (of the pro game)," Festerling said Sunday at the Brandt Centre, where the players packed up their gear before dispersing for the offseason. "I can't believe it's all over and I'm not gonna be coming back next year. I'm lucky I get to go play some more hockey for a bit. We'll figure it out from there."

Festerling is hoping his experience in Oklahoma will help open the door to a full-time pro career. If not, he's content to join the university ranks with either the Alberta Golden Bears or UBC Thunderbirds, both of which are interested in his services.

"I'm gonna have to really put some thought into it and see where my future is going to be," added Festerling. "CIS hockey is a great way to go. I have a lot of friends playing in it. They all recommend it so that would be a great choice as well."

The university ranks are also a legitimate alternative for the Pats' other two graduating players, centre Kyle Ross and defenceman Kyle Deck. Both are local products who've been heavily recruited by the University of Regina Cougars.

Before making any commitments, Deck and Ross will continue to follow up on some pro opportunities, with the ultimate goal of landing invitations to NHL training camps in the fall. Like Festerling, they're both undrafted free agents.

"Hopefully the phone rings in the next few days," said Ross, a native of Regina who recorded 68 points in 71 games this season. "Maybe I'll get an opportunity to go somewhere (to finish the season). If I do or I don't, it's OK either way. But if I do, I'd be pretty excited. We'll see what happens."

Deck, who is from Sedley, plans on exploring his options across the pond in Europe next season. If that doesn't pan out, he may shift gears completely and join the U of R before pursuing a career with the police service.

"In the next couple months I'll start thinking about what I have to do," said Deck, who finished the season with 25 points in 57 games. "I want to play hockey somewhere, that's the main thing."

It won't be with the Pats, but that doesn't mean the WHL club is losing one of its most loyal supporters.

"I've been a Pats' fan my whole life," added Deck. "I'll always be paying attention (to the team), wherever I am."

Same goes for Ross.

"I'm gonna try to sneak in the back door a few times," he said with a laugh. "Maybe I'll get some season tickets or something."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Congrats Festy! Good luck in Oklahoma! :thumb:

Bran
04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Congrats! Show 'em what you're made of!